Lost Items - National Search Service

MDF Youtube MDF Facebook Metal Detecting Top Sites

Anyone used li-ion rechargeable batteries?

Only for the discussion of the Minelab Sovereign metal detector within this forum.

Anyone used li-ion rechargeable batteries?

Postby Hoddie » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:12 pm

Hi everyone, has anyone ever used li - ion rechargeable batteries in thier minelab sovereign elite?
I have one of these machines but can't find the battery pack.......I do however have the battery pack that you can use normal batteries in! Trouble is they don't seem to last that long.
I'd appreciate any advice, TIA ::g
Hoddie

Re: Anyone used li-ion rechargeable batteries?

Postby Hoddie » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:58 pm

I guess I'm going to be the first then....... x;
Hoddie

Postby Blackadder43 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:00 pm

Give people chance Hoddie, i moved it to the minelab forum so you get answers from people in the know.
I think others have done it if you do a search on the forums here
When you are right no one remembers; when you are wrong no one forgets
Blackadder43

Postby Hoddie » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:16 pm

Cheers mate, I had a good search, I see people have used li-po battery packs and I was going to go down the normal rechargeable route but those batteries are 1.2v (I think) whilst li-ion aa batteries would be 1.5v.
I'm merely trying to get the best performance and time from what I have........
Didn't mean to sound impatient but......well.......I am! Lol x; =))
Hoddie

Postby Machinist » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:26 pm

You could get a set of rechargeable batteries in your battery pack the higher the mAh rating the longer they will last.

I know they are only 1.2v but that is all that is in the original rechargeable pack.

Ray
It's all the Headless Hunters fault !!

Member of South Yorkshire MDC
Machinist

Postby Hoddie » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:18 am

Thanks for the reply, I may just go for that option as there are some good deals on batteries on Amazon atm. Any recommendations? Seen some good Duracell......
Hoddie

Postby KIPPERMAN32 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:01 am

sanyo eneloops best by far imo.
KIPPERMAN32

Postby Torian » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:55 am

Hoddie wrote:Hi everyone, has anyone ever used li - ion rechargeable batteries in thier minelab sovereign elite?
I have one of these machines but can't find the battery pack.......I do however have the battery pack that you can use normal batteries in! Trouble is they don't seem to last that long.
I'd appreciate any advice, TIA ::g

I'd take care to test the voltage of the Li-ion group of batteries before you try them. In the same way that single NiMH cells are 1.2V, rechargeable Li-ion cells are usually 3.3 to 3.7V. So if you *can* fit those into the battery pack you will be serving up twice the voltage that the Sovereign expects. :-O. However IIRC most (if not all) are of a size so that they cannot easily fit where alkaline AA batteries fit.
Also IIRC even the single cell non-rechargeable Li batteries are about 1.65V each or 0.15V/10% higher than an alkaline cell, and so eight Li cells are 1.2V higher in voltage than 8 alkaline cells (13.3V vs 12V). This may or may not be a problem for your Sovereign.

Torian
Torian

Postby Hoddie » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:22 pm

Hmmm, I'll stick to standard rechargeable batts then, thanks everyone! :ml
Hoddie

Postby Fusion » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:40 pm

Are you talking about those 'Kentli' Li rechargeables, that have a 1.5V regulator inside them, but charge up (in a dedicated charger) as a regular Li cell? There's a thread on here where they are mentioned, there may be some useful info there:
http://www.metaldetectingforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=102&t=74965
:(
Fusion

Postby Hoddie » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:52 am

Thanks for that Fusion, yes that's what I was looking at getting (or something similar) I didn't bother in the end. I simply bought 2800mah NI-MH rechargeables which seem to be fine! They weren't enloops, but I think you need to be a bit daft to buy those as they're not value for money.....but each to thier own!
Hoddie

Postby Blackadder43 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:37 am

I have to disagree about the Eneloops. I have some that are over 4 years old and still work the same they did the first day i bought them.
You often get what you pay for in some cases.
When you are right no one remembers; when you are wrong no one forgets
Blackadder43

Postby Taxino8 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:36 am

Blackadder43 wrote:I have to disagree about the Eneloops. I have some that are over 4 years old and still work the same they did the first day i bought them.

I agree, Eneloops for me all the time. Best by a long way.
XP Deus
CTX 3030
Garrett Propointer
1/2 Share in Garrett ATX
Taxino8

Postby Hoddie » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:52 pm

Blackadder43 wrote:I have to disagree about the Eneloops. I have some that are over 4 years old and still work the same they did the first day i bought them.

I agree, very good batteries......just not the best value for money but as I said, each to their own.
Hoddie

Postby Fusion » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:47 pm

Perhaps you (Hoddie) could tell us what batteries you actually purchased, the discussion might benefit us all. Sanyo-Panasonic are one of the biggest names in rechargeable batteries, and I suppose you are paying a premium price partly due to the Brand. But in various on-line comparison tests, the Eneloop range seem to score near the top, so if you've found some that are good or better, but at a lower price, we'd like to know. The 2800 mAh capacity is impressive, it makes me wonder if they're EBL brand. EBL certainly seem to have competitive pricing.

I think many customers aren't quite so concerned about price, as they think of the long-term cost, and all rechargeables are excellent value compared to non-rechargeables, for most medium to high drain applications.
Fusion

Postby Hoddie » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:50 pm

You hit the nail on the head fusion, they were indeed EBL batts I bought. I'm not saying these batteries are better than the enleloops because they are not.
After carefully researching what batteries to buy these batteries got the go - ahead simply for the value of them.
I took a chance but I believe it has paid off because these batteries are actually very good! They beat normal batts hands down. I'm interested to see how long they hold their charge.....although a mate informed me he has two sets and they still hold a good charge three years down the line, I'm not sure but so far,so good!
If this is the case I'd have to say that's excellent value for money in my opinion and Since I can buy sixteen of these for the price of 8 eneloops then I'm sure you can see where my logic is?
Kind Regards, Hoddie

P.S. - with regards to lithium ion batts they could be used but I have noticed (with a separate device I'm using) the second they get cold the power just seems to disappear!
I left the device in the car when I went to work (with 3/4 battery power) when I came back for a quick break the battery was dead......nothing!

Hope this post has helped.....
Hoddie

Postby Fusion » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:07 pm

Thanks for the reply. EBL definitely seem to be making a name for themselves. They are also being innovative, the Lithium rechargeable PP3 9 Volt battery is an interesting product. I'm surprised no-one else has made them before, essentially they are just two Li cells in series, so 2 x 4.2 Volt fully charged. Many detectors use PP3's, as do most pinpointers, and I've seen the EBL ones mentioned on several detecting forums, over the past year or two.
Fusion

Postby Hoddie » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:15 pm

Interestingly, after charging the EBL batts and getting my multimeter on them they hold nearly 1.3v yet some Duracell batts I had out of a new packet only showed as having just shy of 1.4v? Strange, I'm sure you'd agree.....
As for the pp3 9vbatts I spotted them too, I think they have a charger that does 8 at a time!
Last edited by Hoddie on Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hoddie

Postby Fusion » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:49 pm

I've not seen a 'teardown' of the PP3 Lithiums, but I'm assuming there's an electronics board inside, just like laptop batteries etc. Partly for protection, pretty vital for PP3's as they can be shorted out so easily, and partly to do charge-balancing. This stops one of the cells taking all the juice and frying, while the other gets nothing. They should also be more reliable than NiMH's, which suffer from having 7 cells inside them, if one dies, the whole battery effectively dies.
Fusion

Postby Hoddie » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:19 pm

It's a very broad subject isn't it? Everything from build quality to external stresses such as the weather (hot/cold), charging times....lifecycle, the list goes on!
I hope I didn't upset any of you as looking back I perhaps shouldn't have used the word daft! I merely thought.....who doesn't like value for money, that's silly!
Anyway apologies, time will tell if I'm the daftie.....lol x;
Hoddie

Return to Minelab Sovereign Metal Detector Forum