Lost Items - National Search Service

MDF Youtube MDF Facebook Metal Detecting Top Sites

how i got permissions

Please post all topics here related to the research and gaining permission to metal detect.

how i got permissions

Postby akitaowl » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:32 pm

hi all joined this forum in may this year and was really worrying about getting permission on land,i started phoning loads of farmers all over the country spent a couple of days on phone good job it was free , got a load of no sorry dont let anyone detect but i did get some joy,i explained that they would olny be me and a friend that would come although now my 8 year old grandson goes and he loves it ,we would show all what we found and that we would share 50/50 on anything of value.my fist permission was a frarm of 600 acres with a roman settlement on it but as yet it is still croped up.i have about 10 farm permissions and more in the pipeline i think that farmers are concerned that detectorists will arive in bus's if they give you permission as one of the farms i got on said that a club as been trying for along time to get on his land but he would not allow it.i hope this was of some use as i know how hard it is to try to get land thanks
akitaowl

Re: how i got permissions

Postby Craigybwoy » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:50 pm

I am just starting out and I am having trouble securing permission. Where would you get the farmers contact numbers from?
Best find: Musket Ball
Machine: C.Scope 3MX, Garrett pin point probe
http://www.youtube.com/tonehunting
Craigybwoy

Postby billybeeper » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:45 pm

Craigybwoy wrote:I am just starting out and I am having trouble securing permission. Where would you get the farmers contact numbers from?

i would like to say the same as craigybwoy and also ive read on ere that people use email does eny one now where i could get the contact for farmers i live in grimsby so need the lincolnshire area farmers just like to give it a try b4 i start driving about and asking in person which i now is the best way to go at it thanks all :)) [:)
just keep digging ,just keep digging
billybeeper

Postby uklad » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:41 pm

hi billybeeper im new to metal detecting and also live in grimsby i go to the local cleethorpes beach when i can but im to wanting to get in touch with a farmer to ask for permission on there land i only live 1 and half miles from all the lacbey farms and land so am thinking of taking a walk up and asking about if i carnt get any contact details
Garrett at pro international
Garrett pro pointer
Mini digging spade
uklad

Postby cheshirepaul » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:19 pm

I agree with you that going alone or in pairs is less of a problem for a landowner.When ive asked for permission,50% of the landowners have asked how many will come along? so its a reasonable fear for him to not have loads of cars clogging up his courtyard,plus his once peacefull fields now looking like he'd wished he had 'never opened the bloody door now'.
Ive personally never made a phone call to a farm,would much rather he saw me and made a decision.I always research the area first,have a look at the land,see any contours? ridge and furrow? google earth the area for interesting markings etc,then i go and ask.
Be polite and assure them of your respect for the land,digs filled level,gates locked etc.

Farmers are busy people,think about that when you see him covered from head to toe in sh sh sugar.
No time is a good time,but tell him 'your sorry to trouble him' then pop the big question.
Good luck.
ETRAC
Crewe and nantwich metal detecting club.
cheshirepaul

Postby billybeeper » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:19 am

thats y i would rather write a letter or email first thn meet in person i dont wont to turn up when hes working but the problem is gettin there details
billybeeper

Postby uklad » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:29 am

im going to speak with the local farmer in the grimsby area myself as from reading the post it seems the best way:) i do alot of my training out in the loacl woods so some of them might be familiar already if am lucky as i used to pass them from time to time cheers for all ur info
Garrett pro pointer
Mini digging spade
uklad

Postby billybeeper » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:53 am

i herd from some 1 that some of the fields ner lacby has got small pocs in the ground the ones between morrisons and the car place on the corner but there has bin a gold stater come of there dont no how true it is tho
billybeeper

Postby uklad » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:38 pm

the gold stater sounds real good:) not so happy about the news of the smallpox as it was a epidemic disease of the early 1700s killed alot people i would be more after getting permission on the farm land in the bradley woods area if i can just got my beach permit for the year so got alot of the beach to detect now:)
Garrett pro pointer
Mini digging spade
uklad

Postby billybeeper » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:48 am

:D gd gd and bradley woods dates back to the 1080 i think i no theres a few medieval sites around there i no sum one whos had a henri 8th hammered and were thay have sterted to build the new houses on scartho top thay was findin roman so uve got a gd chance of finding something best of look and keep us posted
billybeeper

Postby uklad » Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:56 pm

thanks alot billybeeper sounds really interesting and could well bring up some old finds i never new the local woods ad been around since the 1080 its got just under a 1000 years of history to it then maby the story about the black lady is true after all haha
Garrett pro pointer
Mini digging spade
uklad

Postby billybeeper » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:21 pm

lol ye could be and the woods was used for hunting ground if you go into the woods it tells you all about it on a board
billybeeper

Postby uklad » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:43 pm

thanks m8 i will defo be taking a trip up to the woods this week and will av a look at the bord and read all about it..i av got 6 number to local farms not far from me so with bit luck i can get a permission on some land
Garrett pro pointer
Mini digging spade
uklad

Postby billybeeper » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:13 pm

were abouts did you get there numbers from ? yellow pages
billybeeper

Postby uklad » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:29 pm

ite m8 i got them all off the internet just did a google search but not ad the best of luck as 2 dnt let people detect on there land 1 is just about to plant the new seeds so dnt really want any one on site digging holes i did get a maby and waiting for a call back also the closest one to me witch is only 2 miles away im going to see face to face cos av been told its the best way as its to easy for them to say no over the phone and its alot better for the farmer to see u and talk with u
Garrett pro pointer
Mini digging spade
uklad

Return to Metal Detecting Permission