Lost Items - National Search Service

MDF Youtube MDF Facebook Metal Detecting Top Sites

Rent a field....

Please post all topics here related to the research and gaining permission to metal detect.

Rent a field....

Postby stoporishoot360 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:51 pm

Ok, going out on a limb here...
I looked to buy a plot of land for a new build house the other day...
Then I thought...."why don't I buy a field?
£5000 an acre at the moment....

Then I thought.....why not rent a plot....maybe 2 or 3 acres....and metal detect it to my hearts content....sod the house.

If I pay a farmer for his land per calender month can I detect upon it and sub lease it to a horsey person?

Yes I am paying to detect if I don't get A horse grazing but I don't really care....

Your thoughts please...
stoporishoot360

Re: Rent a field....

Postby busterhamer » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:01 pm

Rule number 1 , you must always have the land owners permission as a tennant you would not have this right. ::g
XP DEUS 3.2 with 9" coil
GARRETT PRO-POINTER
and shares in BP
busterhamer

Postby FUBAR » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:41 pm

I would never rent a plot of land for detecting. I know some farmers who would jump on that bandwagon and some of us could never afford it if renting became the norm. Just my opinion, would like to hear comments/objections from others.
FUBAR

Postby kopparberg » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:48 pm

a. yes you could rent some land but you would need it confirmed that you can metal detect on it from the land owner as just renting does not give you the right to detect on it .
b. i think if you go down that route it would be a slippery slope as once started and word gets about i think more farmers would jump on the band wagon and it would price many people out of detecting .
the other option is but some land become a farmer and detect the land you farm
bury st edmunds searches metal detecting club sec
etrac
garrett pro pointer
always live for today and worry about tomorrow when it comes
roman bronzes 83
hammies 12
denarius 7
milled silver 3
kopparberg

Postby janner53 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:09 pm

Surely metal detecting clubs up and down the country are already doing this. In our club we pay £4 every second Sunday and the farmer gets a payment for letting us detect their land. So really we are renting for a day.
Ultimate Detecting Challenge Started May 1st 2014: Total £59.97. Target £400.00
XP Deus 3.2
Garret Ace 250
http://janner53.blogspot.co.uk/
I dig, you dig, we dig, he digs, she digs, they dig. ......
...OK, It's not a beautiful poem, but it's very deep.
janner53

Postby Jason5223 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:03 pm

I do mean this with the greatest of respect but this is the worst idea I have seen for a while and would have lots of farmers across the land rubbing their hands together.

It would be the biggest mistake since Olaf the Hairy, High Chief of all the Vikings, accidentally ordered 80,000 battle helmets with the horns on the inside.'
MINELAB X-TERRA 705
GARRATT PRO POINTER
"Once you locate an object you need to find it in the soil dug from the hole. The best tool for this is your buddy's pinpointer.  If your buddy does not own a pinpointer suggest that he buy one."
Jason5223

Postby stoporishoot360 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:10 pm

I can understand what you are all saying, and I fully agree with your comments.
However, I was thinking of a particular farmer who lives close by to where I live. I have known him for over 30 years and he point blank does not allow anyone to go on his land. Not even to shoot rabbit's etc....I know if I offered him a tenner he would allow me to detect. But you guys are correct, it would open the flood gates, so to speak.
That's where my original thought came from about renting the land but thankfully the replies have made me see the error in that.
stoporishoot360

Postby kopparberg » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:12 pm

stoporishoot360 wrote:I can understand what you are all saying, and I fully agree with your comments.
However, I was thinking of a particular farmer who lives close by to where I live. I have known him for over 30 years and he point blank does not allow anyone to go on his land. Not even to shoot rabbit's etc....I know if I offered him a tenner he would allow me to detect. But you guys are correct, it would open the flood gates, so to speak.
That's where my original thought came from about renting the land but thankfully the replies have made me see the error in that.

you have just gotta do what is right for you m8 if you have no where to detect it might be your only option
bury st edmunds searches metal detecting club sec
etrac
garrett pro pointer
always live for today and worry about tomorrow when it comes
roman bronzes 83
hammies 12
denarius 7
milled silver 3
kopparberg

Postby Sheddy » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:36 pm

if you want to pay to detect then go for it. If others can't afford to do the same then it's their look out.
Sheddy

Postby Daniel o' Beirnes » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:08 pm

Sheddy wrote:if you want to pay to detect then go for it. If others can't afford to do the same then it's their look out.

i bet you did not share your sweets :)) :))
Daniel o' Beirnes

Postby Sheddy » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:21 pm

ub40 wrote:
Sheddy wrote:if you want to pay to detect then go for it. If others can't afford to do the same then it's their look out.

i bet you did not share your sweets :)) :))

I share everything, even my permissions. I found a guy detecting without permission on one of "my" fields a few weeks back so i furnished him with the farmers name, address and telephone number for him to go get proper permission. I'm not the selfish type but I can't see why someone should be put off of what they want to do on the basis that others can't afford or won't pay out to do the same.

I pay for my shooting grounds, I pay when i go fishing so if the whole detecting hobby went down the pay-as-you-go route then I really don't see a problem with it. Since I started detecting some 30 years ago I've benefited by a fair few £££'s. I've always seen my farmers right but I know that there are many detectorists who think nothing of hiding the choice finds and showing the farmer a pile of scrap. Why shouldn't the farmers benefit in some way from the plundering of their land?
Sheddy

Postby Black Shuck » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:00 pm

Not sure plundering is a good word to use! We have enough enemies without giving them more ammo to use against us. Just a thought.
Black Shuck

Postby liamnolan » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:52 pm

I made a very similar post last year. My reasoning then (and now) is that it is much easier to simply buy or rent land and then detect to your hearts desire. You could even challenge a few doggy walkers =))
I have permission from a local hospital trust that owns tons of land and rents it out to tenant farmers. Two fields have not been rented out for a while, maybe waiting for the soil to recover, but I am sure that if I offered to rent it, then they would be agreeable as otherwise it is earning nothing. Detecting will not harm the soil in any way, so its a win/win situation for the trust.
I have spent 20 mins searching for agricultural land for rent around the UK and it varies enormously, do a few searches yourself. One important PLUS for our hobby is that we dont need land that is easily cultivated, flat, fertile, well drained, easy access and so on. Some of the best detecting land can be awkward bits of land around rivers and bridges, perhaps on a slope, trees or shrubs in the way of tractors .... the type of land that an estate agent will perhaps have on his books and be happy to get it earning some cash.
Do your research carefully and If it costs £2000 a year to rent about 25 acres of awkward land that just happens to lie close to recorded history, then divide your costs by a group of ten buddies and you have your own land for £4 a week per person.
You would need to have a good chat with your estate agent first and see what is held on file and then see if it has any historical value.
Liam :;@
Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and the decisions we waited too long to make ..
liamnolan

Postby hydraglide » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:02 pm

I suppose where you stand on this is, whether or not you have any land to detect on.
Sovereign GT
Ron's 180 Meter
hydraglide

Postby Maximuswarks » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:12 pm

here is a nice cheap bit of land to rent ;)
http://www.farmingads.co.uk/live_off_gr ... and/168154
XP Deus The History Hoover :) , Garrett Pro-Pointer,Wellies,Smokes,Coffee
Border spade ,
Maximuswarks

Postby Sheddy » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:20 pm

Black Shuck wrote:Not sure plundering is a good word to use! We have enough enemies without giving them more ammo to use against us. Just a thought.

O.K., I'll pick up the baton on this one. What single word descriptive would you use for seqarching a farmers land whilst pocketing the choice gear and showing the scrap? I couldn't care less about our detractors view, especially when they've pretty much hit the nail on the head.

i've been in this game for a long time, I've seen the goody-two shoes portrait painted by ourselves on forums, I know what happens in truth. The Twinstead rally was proof of how detectorists really behave - IF any were needed.

What would you call what we do?
Sheddy

Postby Philthy Phil » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:30 pm

Sheddy I for one take offence at your comments tarring the majority of detectorists with the same brush..........I have had the pleasure of detecting quite a few of the members of this forum on several different permissions & can assure you that "we" are always straight down the line with our landowners, no "plundering" in the slightest............and as for "painting a goody two-shoes portrait" I always thought honesty was the best policy, it's certainly got me some cracking permissions simply by way of referral!!
Minelabbed to the bone!

CTX 3030 stock & 6" coils
X-Terra 505 & many coils
Pro Find 25
S&J Minishovel
Blackhawk kneepads
Trusty Zippo
Lucky horseshoes

Eagles may soar on high but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!
Philthy Phil

Postby alfaowner » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:39 pm

Blimey sheddy ...

No wonder we have a bad name with posts like that :-/ ;;z
alfaowner

Postby Sheddy » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:12 pm

I understand both of your posts and sympathise ..... but! (there's always a but!) Like I say, I've been around this game a long time and I've seen it all go on. I like to deal honestly with my farmers, it's the right thing to do and by doing so I get to sleep soundly at night.
I'd say that those of us who detect for the enjoyment of it, the history of it and the education we gain from it are in the majority and I apologise if I made it sound as though the converse were true - it's not. The majority of us are in the hobby for the thrill of finding the lost change and artefacts of yesteryear. The blatant truth is that there is a section of the hobby that are less than honest - as Twinstead proved beyond doubt.

That notwithstanding, why should any hobbyist not pay to rent some land to ensure that s/he has somewhere to detect? The only problem (and we've all suffered this one!) is that you can research the land to your hearts content, all the pointers will be toward the field being a productive one and then you find you've paid out a couple of grand in land rent for a barren field! I have permission on the fields completely surrounding a 13th century church which to date have turned up nothing earlier than 20th century!
Sheddy

Postby alloverover » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:35 pm

Sheddy wrote: The blatant truth is that there is a section of the hobby that are less than honest - as Twinstead proved beyond doubt.

All Twinstead proved is that there is a section of HUMANITY that are less than honest, :-O :-O :-O shock :-O :-O :-O horror .
On that one particular occasion, (if what is said is true) it was just brought to the fore as that section of humanity had metal detectors and a little known clause in the treasure act came to light, ie if its worth a lot of money and not old,then the law that the Treasure Act replaced will come back into force :D :D :D ::g
Last edited by alloverover on Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
alloverover

Next

Return to Metal Detecting Permission