Lost Items - National Search Service

MDF Youtube MDF Facebook Metal Detecting Top Sites

xterra 50 missing targets?

Only for the discussion of the Minelab X-TERRA range of metal detectors within this forum.

xterra 50 missing targets?

Postby jeff82 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:28 pm

Hi all .. have an xterra 50 and have mostly been hunting in all metal ..I have dug a ton of junk plus a few nice items .. I have recently been using in factory set discrimination 1 .. it has made searches a lot more quiet and have mostly dug good targets ..

Today we had a 1866 farthing come up ..the discrim picked the target and once it was out I decided to do a few tests .. laying flat the discrim picks the coin up loud and clear with a good high tone .. however once I buried the coin upright in the clod and waved over it the machine completely missed it at 3' down .. set machine to all metal and it grunts at -6 .. telling me its iron? .. if I was searching in all metal I would generally skip over a -6 as most time its a nail ..
My fear is I could be skipping over potential coins ..
Regards
Jeff (newbie)
IF IM NOT HERE .. IM SEEKING HISTORY (with a spade) and my son

MINELAB X-TERRA 50
FISHER F11
jeff82

Re: xterra 50 missing targets?

Postby oldartefact » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:38 pm

Think what you are describing is an inherent problem with all detectors ... targets are missed because the object target is either too deep or not in an optimal orientation. Targets can also be missed because your swing frequency and amplitude are out of synch with your ground speed, and can be missed simply because you decided not to dig. Short of taking the top 30ins of soil off the field and putting it through a metal sieve... I guess there are two possible approaches ... either relax and enjoy the journey, or detect fields that are deep ploughed ... year after year, that way your target will eventually come into range, at an orientation that is okay with your machine.
Hope that helps.
oldartefact

Postby Fishwick » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:45 pm

I use a Xterra 50 and I leave it on discrim 1.
When I bought it from a dealer they suggested I dig everything over 9 on the display screen and I did.
I've also found that there are so many other contributing factors to a successful days searching as well.
I listen more to the tones and try not to look at the screen-it's difficult at times not to do it.
This is just my feeling about missing a target- it's perhaps not your time to have that coin or artefact.
There's always tomorrow. ;)
Fishwick

Postby Mega B » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:59 pm

Most machines will have problems picking the coin up in the upright position,as it has far less surface area for the signal to latch onto,some VLF machines are slightly better than other,higher khz machines may pick it up easier than say a lower khz one.Pulse machines usually hit these on end coins the best.

Not alot one can do about it really,maybe reduce your swing speed when you pick up a target,even then that could still fool the machine,at least its one major lesson that you have learn't if nothing else,i would have thought many detectorists have walked over a decent find over the years because of the exact same problem,so its not just your Terra 50.
Deus- Nexus MP only 2 machines i need ;)
Mega B

Postby jeff82 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:56 pm

Thank you everyone for your input ..greatly appreciated.. ::g

I am going out in the morn with my boy ..im going to dig everything .. will post outcome tomorrow

Thanks again guys
IF IM NOT HERE .. IM SEEKING HISTORY (with a spade) and my son

MINELAB X-TERRA 50
FISHER F11
jeff82

Return to Minelab X-TERRA Metal Detector Forum