Lost Items - National Search Service

MDF Youtube MDF Facebook Metal Detecting Top Sites

A lot of loot

Only topics related to Minelab metal detectors here, Please remember that off topic posts will be removed.
MDF Auction - Minelab Metal Detectors

A lot of loot

Postby The Fox » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:24 pm

was down Bournemouth beach yesterday morning,and got talking to a man who had a minelab he said he averaged £2000 a month in gold and coin finds over the summer months, on beaches on the south coast. I usually do 2 hours early in morning, sometimes I only find £4. Was he pulling my chain? What is the most you have found on a beach ?
The Fox

Re: A lot of loot

Postby lord lovell » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:49 pm

sounds a lot that if beaches heavy populated you could find few quid ive heard of people finding around £10.000 a year on top beaches and lots of rings i think thats a wind up mate
lord lovell

Postby satellite750uk » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:51 pm

Just another Dreamer =))
satellite750uk

Postby lord lovell » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:55 pm

when you think about it most coins are low value you would have too be pulling £1 after pound to do that allso most gold rings tend to be light weight thin section stuff too with low weight for scrap ::g
lord lovell

Postby Ten pence! » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:10 pm

I met fellow detectorist on an Essex beach several years ago who made some amazing claims about what he had found, I was slightly dubious especially as I was quite familiar with what you could find if the conditions were right, undeterred he reeled of a list of amazing finds and despite his obvious eccentricity he seemed to know his stuff, I casually mentioned I'd be back the next day to do the low tide area, he replied that he would bring his recent finds down to show me and give me some "tips" on searching.

Sure enough he turned up and with a selection of his finds all in a rusty roll up tin! On opening the tin I was treated to a selection of brass olives, aluminium novelty rings and copper pennies, there might have been one silver ring amongst all this tat. x;

I humoured him and quickly made my escape!
Ten pence!

Postby adamhunter6 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:27 pm

Think its wishful thinking, i am out most days, on good beaches and never fund that much, this year im upto 51grms of mixed gold so far, u would need a hell of a lot more than that, to keep up with those claims
adamhunter6

Postby newseeker » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:29 am

The Fox wrote:was down Bournemouth beach yesterday morning,and got talking to a man who had a minelab he said he averaged £2000 a month in gold and coin finds over the summer months, on beaches on the south coast. I usually do 2 hours early in morning, sometimes I only find £4. Was he pulling my chain? What is the most you have found on a beach ?

:)) Lets hope the weather improves
minelab x-terra 705+(NEL tornado 7.5khz) +(Minelab elliptical coil)+(NEL Attack 3khz), (Back up) c-scope newforce R1
newseeker

Postby Devonboy » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:58 pm

Sounds highly fabricated to me. I've been doing around 3 hours early mornings about twice a week since early May on my local beach and the best I've found is £9.63 and a bodyboard.

I've now got a cracking collection of those little plastic moulds of various things that the kids put on top of their sandcastles though. =)) =))

Tony
Devonboy

Postby roamingrob » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:00 pm

As said , hard to believe. I think there is the odd and I do mean odd person that just want to
say they have fantastic find rates and I have met or spoke to a couple. they never seem to return or get back in contact. its sad
XP Deus, SW5 headphones
Garrett Ace 250
Garrett Pro Pointer II
Makro pointer
Mini Spade
" SEEK AND YE SHALL FIND"
roamingrob

Postby Count de Washers » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:58 pm

A chap in his sixties wearing a flat cap approached me on Weymouth beach a couple of years ago while I was detecting with the CS990XD. He said that his son had a fantastic detector costing hundreds more than mine and had found jewellery worth thousands on that very beach. I slowly realised he was just an annoying person, a spoiler - I asked him the make and model of his son's detector but he could not answer. It was all rubbish.
Count de Washers

Postby Dave The Slave » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:15 am

I`ve heard similar down there about a month ago. Been out 22 times this year and had £109.82, best was £12.54 worst was this morning 1p at southbourne. Normally £4 to £5 only got into double figures 3 times. Had a good run in early august £38 in 4 days. Stopped going down Bournemouth too many detectorists and others hanging around the beach. If I get a couple of quid its paid the petrol and thats fine. Today was a disaster but there is always next time.
Cheers, ::g
Dave.
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Garrett 400 I
Dave The Slave

Postby amphora » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:08 pm

I know a guy living near the buziest beach in our country.
He hunted every morning and evening on busy days in the crowded season. Found about 15-25 euro each busy(!) day.
On yearly base he found a couple of hundreds of euro's. About 400-450.
Then a handfull (almost worthless) silver rings, and sometimes a gold piece of juwelery.
All together on yearly base including the gold say about €800? That's about 600 pounds?
And that's the most proven loot i've ever got knowledge from.

I need to say that that was before the crisis. Afther that people watch value much better, so less to find. :-L

Yeah right. If you find a undamaged nice cartier piece filled with diamonds you could reach a lucky 2000+ pounds in one year, but that's a hard trick to do every year.
2000 pounds montly on regular base? That would be 24.000 a year. c'
Excusses if i my choise for the right Englisch word fails.
amphora

Postby clint » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:37 pm

Yep does sound like of boy cow poop! However..there's a chap works with me has a full time detecting brother, goes to Spain a few times a year and has amassed over £250,000 in gold over the years. I have seen a video of his stash, like a jewellers window! Hundreds of rings, chains, watches even some gold dentures! All with the Minelab Sov gt and Excalibur.

regards

Clint
Etrac.13" Ultimate Coil.CP3 TT`s
8x6 sef
Euroace.
Deteknix Pointer,camo,oh yeah! ...does what it says on the box..
Garrett Propointer..ok...(now it's fixed!)
Jeff`s big tool!
clint

Postby amphora » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:25 pm

I can believe a bit of that in the early years when no one was detecting and one could find all.
But nowadays while lot's detecting cause digging programs? Nah.
Even in a playground where 5+ years ago about 10 euro's where easily found you have to be happy to find 1,50 nowadays, if you don't find wholes from other hunters.

Btw, people who i know who have a minelab complain that finding gold ain't easy with a minelab.
Excusses if i my choise for the right Englisch word fails.
amphora

Postby alfaowner » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:42 pm

It's not just the in land detectorists that talk of finding wheelbarrows of stuff then =)) =))
alfaowner

Postby former member » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:44 pm

I have seen a video of his stash,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WT138Ij ... 9YNshtn-8g
This guy maybe? ;) =P~
former member

Postby clint » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:49 pm

Yep that's the chap Slippery! I knew it was ayup something or other was going to ask his brother in work..

regards

Clint
Etrac.13" Ultimate Coil.CP3 TT`s
8x6 sef
Euroace.
Deteknix Pointer,camo,oh yeah! ...does what it says on the box..
Garrett Propointer..ok...(now it's fixed!)
Jeff`s big tool!
clint

Postby Trotboy » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:51 pm

I think it depends on a number of factors; your dedication, familiarity with and proximity to the beaches and knowledge of the best places. If you are out there every day, rain or shine it could be possible on a really busy beach. But unlikely.
Recent finds: Papal Bulla of Clement V, Mary Groat, James 1st Scottish 20p, Republican Silver Denarius 130BC, Trajan Silver Denarius, Edward VII Hammered Shilling.
Trotboy

Postby f8met » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:52 pm

And I am sure he has done the decent thing and tried to find the owners as all good detectorists do.....
Dave

Deus
f8met

Postby oldartefact » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:04 am

Somnething doesnt add up in the video clip... lets suppose the chap goes out everyday to find that lot... he would have to... So no job, and he is rich enough not to need to sell said rings... also there are too many identical rings for my liking ... no talk over either... its a very uncomfortable picture. and my guess is he's not handing in the finds to the police... but that is mere conjecture.

as arough estimate there are 600-800 rings on the table!! Even a pawn broker doent have this many rings!!
oldartefact

Next

Return to Minelab Metal Detectors Forum