Lost Items - National Search Service

MDF Youtube MDF Facebook Metal Detecting Top Sites

Should I Upgrade From 705?

Only topics related to Minelab metal detectors here, Please remember that off topic posts will be removed.
MDF Auction - Minelab Metal Detectors

Should I Upgrade From 705?

Postby cottlad » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:12 am

I got the X-Terra 705 as an all rounder really. It's my first machine and am fairly pleased with it. But most of my detecting at the moment is at various beaches due to my job working away in the marine industry. Whilst the 705 seems OK on the wet stuff, I usually mute the sensitivity down to between 10 & 15 and I'm wondering if I couldn't be doing better with a machine more beach suited? Have been considering the etrac or ctx but could anyone give me an idea on performance specifically on wet sand when comparing the 3 machines. Is there a big jump from 705 to etrac? And is there another big jump from etrac to ctx? Or is the ctx performance similar to etrac but with more features? If I took the plunge I'd be looking for something pre-loved.

Any comments appreciated cheers.
cottlad

Re: Should I Upgrade From 705?

Postby Owain 1405 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:52 am

Most detectors don't like the wet sand, maybe you should consider a PI machine, here's a topic from a while back, which may be of use to you viewtopic.php?f=12&t=29005 ::g
History is never black & white, just shades of grey
Owain 1405

Postby slowsweep » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:05 pm

both the etrac and ctx are awesome and deep on wet/black sand (probably the best beach machines going) but the ctx has the advantage of being water proof so you can get in the surf if you want ::g
Just dig it and put your mind at rest
slowsweep

Postby Skute » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:52 pm

Both Etrac and CTX do well on the beach but they are also quite high priced, even as pre-loved. In my mind you can't beat a Minelab Sovereign for wet sand work...and instead of paying for a Sov GT you could try and find a used Sov XS and kit it with a tornado 10 inch coil (standard on GT)....you won't get a better wet sand detector for the money.
Skute

Postby cottlad » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:41 pm

Thanks,
I considered the Sov even when buying the 705 and maybe should have waited to get clear in my mind what I needed but was eager to get stuck in :)
Does the Sov have decent junk discrimination as am not sure I could do with digging lumps of rust up every other beep? That's why I was considering the others.
cottlad

Postby Skute » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:34 pm

cottlad wrote:Thanks,
I considered the Sov even when buying the 705 and maybe should have waited to get clear in my mind what I needed but was eager to get stuck in :)
Does the Sov have decent junk discrimination as am not sure I could do with digging lumps of rust up every other beep? That's why I was considering the others.

Sovereigns have excellent junk discrimination although like all detectors you need to be speaking the same language as the detector before you really start to become one with it.
Sovereigns are multi tone and you'll soon be able to hear the difference between scrunched up silver paper and a target worth digging. They also have inbuilt iron mask which basically just nulls your threshold when iron is detected...Only large iron rings at depth have fooled me...every other piece of iron is either nulled or you clearly hear the spit and crackle at the end of the tone that donates an iron object.
Multi tone gives you so much info that once you've sussed the tones you'll easily hear a round object from a irregular shaped object. I've had mine for 20 years now and it still delivers the goods. Yesterday i was out and dug maybe 30 signals. Of those one was a hammered that i knew was a hammered before i dug it....and that's no lie.
I keep threatening to sell my Sov and upgrade to a Deus but......yeh.......i'm still not convinced it's necessary. Paying a thousand pound for a maybe slight increase in detector power seems such a waste.

The only minus with a Sov is on heavy iron infested sites. The refresh when the coil is passed over iron is not that quick. To combat the problem you have to go slow in those conditions......Apart from that the sov is a top notch detector whether on land or beach.
Skute

Postby cottlad » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:55 pm

Yup I think I'm convinced about the Sov. If I get a used one I could even justify keeping the 705 :)

Cheers
cottlad

Postby cottlad » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:29 am

Just bagged me a Sov GT :) Sure I'll have fun learning how to use this but looks simple enough.
cottlad

Postby slowsweep » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:54 am

good choice, GL&HH ::g
Just dig it and put your mind at rest
slowsweep

Return to Minelab Metal Detectors Forum