Lost Items - National Search Service

MDF Youtube MDF Facebook Metal Detecting Top Sites

Xterra 705 or Safari

Only topics related to Minelab metal detectors here, Please remember that off topic posts will be removed.
MDF Auction - Minelab Metal Detectors

Xterra 705 or Safari

Postby andydig » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:48 am

I've been asked to buy a detector for a friend (his wife buying it as a surprise for his birthday) he's been detecting for a couple of years but is fairly inexperienced. The xterra705 and the safari fall into her price range so I was wondering which would be the best choice? It will be used on pasture land.

Many thanks for your help and advice.
andydig

Re: Xterra 705 or Safari

Postby Trenchie » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:15 pm

Ok, first off, I'm very inexperienced also, but I do have the x-terra 705 and although It's early days I'm very pleased with it's all round ease of use and performance. For what it's worth I have the 10.5" DD coil, and has impressively picked up small signals very deep down and with practice in pin pointing mode, will take you right on top of the target.

I've detected with a friend and my father in law who are both safari owners and are turning up good finds and are pleased with their machines too. I understand the technology between the models differs in that the x-terra is coil (frequency) fixed and but the safari uses a superior multiple frequency technology, so in essence you don't need to chop and change your coils, but this means it comes with a more expensive price tag. Also the Safari uses I believe x8 AA batteries or a rechargeable battery pack which is heavier than the x4 AA batteries the x-terra uses. And this in part leads to the one comment comment from both Safari owners is that it's noticeably heavier and perhaps causing fatigue only a few hours into searching.

I hope other more learned members chip in with their views too, but good luck and hope you find the one that will suit your friend. ::g

Trenchie.
Minelab x-terra 705 & a lucky spade
Trenchie

Postby andydig » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:39 am

Thanks Trenchie.
andydig

Postby sweepstick47 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:15 am

Hi andydig, Because you're buying for someone else, that's a tough call
Is it not possible to 'sound him out' without arousing suspicion? I think you may be able to suggest that you're changing your machine to XX and ask his opinion.
Anyway, good luck on a difficult call. ::g ss47
Arado 130 - Garrett Groundhog - Tesoro Eldorado - Fisher 1265X - Goldmax Power Makro Racer. Homemade Harness!
sweepstick47

Postby andydig » Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:12 pm

Thanks, I suppose I was really asking of the two which is the better machine, I would imagine the Safari is a better specced machine. The E Trac is also in her price range but I'd eliminated that one as I felt it would be too complicated for a novice?
andydig

Postby MarkSussex » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:49 pm

Safari is the better of the two Andy, it has FBS technology which imo is much better than the Vflex which the 705 has.

The etrac although the better machine, is also heavier than the other two.

andydig wrote:Thanks, I suppose I was really asking of the two which is the better machine, I would imagine the Safari is a better specced machine. The E Trac is also in her price range but I'd eliminated that one as I felt it would be too complicated for a novice?
MarkSussex

Postby buzzerman » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:08 pm

I suppose it comes down to the choice of detecting either salt water beaches or inland detecting or perhaps both.if the latter applies a multi-frequency detector would be the best suited but for inland detecting the x-terra would be the way to go.hope this helps HH
buzzerman

Return to Minelab Metal Detectors Forum