Lost Items - National Search Service

MDF Youtube MDF Facebook

Fisher CZ-5

Only topics related to Fisher metal detectors here, Off topic posts will be removed.

Fisher CZ-5

Postby Greenlaningxt » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:12 pm

Hi all

Have been looking for a starter machine as a replacement for an old Viking

The Viking has been great to get me hooked, but after an afternoon with another forum user I started to understand what I should be looking for.

Loads of reading later and I now own a Fisher cz-5 which I think is a good step.

If everything I have read is correct, it should be good for wet beaches and dry land.

Any tips I should be aware of?

I will be looking for a coil and control box covers but have not seen any yet. Anyone know if they are available, if not I will knock something up.

Thanks in advance

John
Greenlaningxt

Re: Fisher cz-5

Postby Mega B » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:58 pm

The CZ-5 is one of the all time classic Fisher machines,they can be pretty deep,but they are a very good all round detector.Folks who buy and master them very rarely part with them after.

In top condition they can command top money as well.
Deus and Nexus MP only 2 machines i really use these days.

Also use some site specific machines TDI Pro c/w 20'' Mono,Nexus SE dual 9'' coil,Fisher TW-5 twin box.
Mega B

Postby Greenlaningxt » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:44 pm

Thanks for that

That's what I understood from all the reading.

Think looking around I paid a fair price for it.

Really looking forward to getting out with it.

Lots more scrap to find!!!! But you never know ::g
Greenlaningxt

Postby Greenlaningxt » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:11 am

A quick question for the people that know about this machine.

Talking to someone they have said any fisher coil will fit, but from what I have read I don't think just any coil will work.

If I were to consider a larger coil, any ideas which one might work correctly.

Thanks for any info.

John
Greenlaningxt

Postby Fusion » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:12 pm

I think all CZ coils are interchangeable, so ones for CZ3, CZ70 will work.

The one potential problem with these machines is they can be badly adjusted from the factory, and also have the potential to go out of alignment over time. There's a large number of adjustable parts in them, and the only ways of getting one calibrated properly is to either send it to the Fisher factory in Texas, or independant expert Tom Dankowski in Florida. Neither option seems cheap.
If you can obtain a modern US 10 cent coin (clad dime), it should airtest the coin at 10 inches, and up to 12" on a really good example.
:(
Fusion

Re: Fisher CZ-5

Postby Greenlaningxt » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:10 pm

Ok thanks for that, useful info.
Greenlaningxt

Postby Fusion » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:31 pm

And regarding larger coils, I recall there's a 10" one available, but its performance is not really much different to the standard-sized 8" one. Maybe the machine was designed for the 8", and that's why.
Take a look at the Dankowski Detectors site, there's some interesting articles, and some CZ-series specific ones ..'Fisher Intelligence' ., and a forum with some chat about them.
:(
Fusion

Postby bob79 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:50 pm

Fusion wrote:I think all CZ coils are interchangeable, so ones for CZ3, CZ70 will work.

The one potential problem with these machines is they can be badly adjusted from the factory, and also have the potential to go out of alignment over time. There's a large number of adjustable parts in them, and the only ways of getting one calibrated properly is to either send it to the Fisher factory in Texas, or independant expert Tom Dankowski in Florida. Neither option seems cheap.
If you can obtain a modern US 10 cent coin (clad dime), it should airtest the coin at 10 inches, and up to 12" on a really good example.

Pentechnic are UK authorized repairer for Fisher, been repairing detectors since 1972.
bob79

Postby Ten pence! » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:40 pm

I had a CZ-6 which is virually the same machine, it worked quite well on the beach but on land it had a few shortcomings, firstly they will give positive signals on largish rusty nails buried at depth, knocking these out will lose you small hammered coins as well, and the recovery speed in the prescence of iron was frankly very poor. A good machine on clean ground and it will match a lot of modern machines depth wise. I moved mine on.
Ten pence!

Return to Fisher Metal Detectors Forum