Lost Items - National Search Service

MDF Youtube MDF Facebook Metal Detecting Top Sites

In the Rutus club.

Please post all topics related to other metal detector brands, makes that do not have their own catagory here.

In the Rutus club.

Postby Bargeman » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:32 pm

I just got myself a Rutus Alter 71, to go with my GMP, I wanted a second detector with a lower kHz rating, and the Alter 71 having 71 adjustable settings from 4.4-kHz to 18.4-kHz, seems to fit the bill nicely. My kit came with the extra concentric coil which is another plus, as it expands my search capabilities, I did have to buy a spare lower shaft with fixing bolt kit, but this was only £15.00 so not a deal breaker.

First impressions are very positive, build quality is first class, and the whole assembly was easy to put together and is very stiff, no floppy wobbly bits. The battery compartment lid is a bit naff to be honest, and I am sure it could have been designed better. but it works.
The two covers for the battery and control box are very nice and well thought out, and you can access the battery compartment without removing the cover, something that annoys me with the XP GMP.
The supplied instruction manual is very well presented in english, and easy to understand, there is a lot to take in, as you have total control over all the settings if "you" want to. But, and this is a big BUT, as technical as this machine seems, they have made it user friendly, even for beginners with 7 simple to use pre-set programmes, that would cover most detecting situations.

So those are my initial thoughts on the Rutus Alter 71. I just need to take it to a field now and see how it performs out where it matters, so watch this space. A final thought, I never bought this to replace my GMP, I am more than happy with the XP machine for that, although with its fixed high kHz rating it is a one trick pony, even if that trick is first class. No, this new machine is to use alongside the XP, we shall see how it performs.

::g [:)
XP Goldmaxx Power + 9" coil & WS2 + WS3 wireless phones
NEL Sharpshooter
NEL Tornado
and Mud.

Rutus Alter 71
Bargeman

Re: In the Rutus club.

Postby GC-1023 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:42 pm

Put some nails and coin together and test it on ultra fast programme , you might be shocked what it can offer in the high khz end as well .
i can understand your loyalty to your xp though ,i wont get rid of my minelab musketeer because its been a joy each time i have used it .
this guy was recorded saying his new 71 killed his deus. maybe he was being honest , with 71,deus,aka mfd ,etc he was no newbie to detecting .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XY9opvdPM1k
Rutus Alter 71, 11" DD and 9"CONC coils
minelab musketeer 15 x18 sef
deeptech vista smart, super six,11"pitbull,14" epic
golden mask 4wd ,7" +10x12"sef
nokta fors relic. 5" +11"
GC-1023

Postby Atom300 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:47 pm

The Rutus is sounding like a good MD to have and i'm seriously thinking of getting one since I made a rather large error of judgement. :( I started with a Laser B1 which was a great starter and still have. Then as a progression, moved onto the GMP which i really liked for a year until I thought i'd take the next step up to the E-Trac and unfortunately I just cant get the hang of it and its got to go. I guess i'm going to take a bit of a hit when trading it in but as im not enjoying getting out in the field as i used to no point in sticking with it. The 71 does look like a good bit of kit and the reviews are pretty good to. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
Regards Simon
Atom300

Postby Bargeman » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:25 am

You really need to try one Simon before you commit to buy. Tell people what area you live in and someone local may be able to let you have a swing with their one.
Have you considered a Deus or maybe the new Nokta also.
NEL Sharpshooter
NEL Tornado
and Mud.

Rutus Alter 71
Bargeman

Postby Atom300 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:45 am

Morning, Thanks for the reply. I have recently joined a local club and a few have the Deus and im not that keen all that separate charging and to be honest im not to sure whether there that much better than my old GMP and twice the money. I will see if someone has the Rutus local so i can have a swing with it. Funny the other MD been looking at was the Nokta but cant seem to find as much about it. What negatives if any have you found with the Rutus? I'm in Farnham in Surrey if anyone does have is using one localy and i dont mind traveling. The Rutus just seems alot more user friendly or are people just making it look easy?
Simon
Atom300

Postby principia » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:15 am

Atom300 wrote:The Rutus is sounding like a good MD to have and i'm seriously thinking of getting one since I made a rather large error of judgement. :( I started with a Laser B1 which was a great starter and still have. Then as a progression, moved onto the GMP which i really liked for a year until I thought i'd take the next step up to the E-Trac and unfortunately I just cant get the hang of it and its got to go. I guess i'm going to take a bit of a hit when trading it in but as im not enjoying getting out in the field as i used to no point in sticking with it. The 71 does look like a good bit of kit and the reviews are pretty good to. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
Regards Simon

Very recognizable, got the Whites VX3 which is a good machine but balance wise too heavy for me and I don't like to use an easy swing each time I am going for a hunt. Sold the machine (for too less) an now I also have the Rutus :)
Et qui quærit, invenit
Rutus Alter 71
Cscope 6MXi
Deteknix X-pointer
principia

Postby buzzerman » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:18 am

there is a video available on the you-tube channel titled [rutus alter 71 complete menu tutorial with my personal settings by diggs4ever]that might be of interest to any new users of the rutus alter 71 metal detector.
buzzerman

Postby Bargeman » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:27 pm

Farnham is not too far for me, I work over in that general direction, if you want to see how a Rutus works I could call by after work one day.
NEL Sharpshooter
NEL Tornado
and Mud.

Rutus Alter 71
Bargeman

Postby targets » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:29 pm

Gonna be a hot seller ;))
' hammys how i love ya, how i love ya my dear old hammys '
targets

Postby Bargeman » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:00 pm

So today I managed to get out for a couple of hours with the Rutus, this was my first go with the machine out where it really matters, in the field. So having read the manual, and watched the available video's on the Tube, I fitted the concentric coil and headed out.
To start with I chose the "Basic" program from the pre loaded factory settings, but increased the sensitivity as the field was quiet, and the machine was very stable. I had decided to dig every signal, to see how accurate the display information was, not so much the numbers, but the little digital information system. and I have to say it is really very accurate, the first signal said iron, and that is what it was. The pinpoint system was also very accurate, and as a consequence my hole size was smaller, all good. When I hit foil, it said foil, but ring pulls fooled it as they seem to do with so many detectors.
I tried a couple of the pre loaded programs, on two different types of ground, and the machine handled everything thrown at it, I really feel that for the money, the Rutus punches well above its weight. I managed a couple of small finds, another dog whistle, that is three from the same field, two decimal coins, a tiny buckle fragment, and an odd button.

So so far so good with the concentric coil, next time out I shall try the DD coil, but I am impressed so far, and I am sure we will see many more of these machines on fields over the coming months. ::g

[:)
NEL Sharpshooter
NEL Tornado
and Mud.

Rutus Alter 71
Bargeman

Postby Bargeman » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:51 pm

I forgot to add, I also found a big block of Bronze, machined, and broken, nearly blew my ears off! :)) I will post pictures tomorrow.

[:)
NEL Sharpshooter
NEL Tornado
and Mud.

Rutus Alter 71
Bargeman

Postby Saffron » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:01 pm

Atom300 wrote:<cut> ....the other MD been looking at was the Nokta but cant seem to find as much about it. .... <cut>
Simon

Assuming we are all talking about the new Nokta Impact the reason for this is probably that it has not yet been released in the UK (unless out in the last couple of days as the last I saw was that it should be available in the third week of March). There are a couple of videos and reviews on the internet and they are positive. Preproduction models have been tested by about 30 detectorists world wide and the feedback from these have been taken into account for the final production model. It sounds impressive and I am sure should do well, but unfortunately the recent price hike in the UK will not help its sales here.

Evan
Saffron

Postby Atom300 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:51 pm

Thanks Bargeman, The offer of a demo would be much appreciated, do you want me to PM over my number?
Managed to get out on a dig with the local club and a few nice finds came out but they were few and far between. Someone else on the dig had the Rutus Jupiter and did well and really rated it. I unfortunately thought id give the E-Trac a last go and im defiantly not getting it, not blaming the MD its just not for me. I did take my daughters Euro as well just in case and it wasn't long before it came out and it performed really well, couple of musket balls and a modern bit of jewellery.
Just keen to get going with something you feel more comfortably with like the old GMP.
Atom300

Postby Bargeman » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:00 pm

No problem, I have to go into Alton this week.
NEL Sharpshooter
NEL Tornado
and Mud.

Rutus Alter 71
Bargeman

Postby GC-1023 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:42 am

only been out for one hour with mine but it pulled stuff up from probe length no probs,also i only upped the sens to 70 , dont know how much more i could have cranked it on that site .just left it at 70 coz wet grass is normally a pig for most machines on high sens .didnt notice it getting chattery though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4iCMGepzWw
Rutus Alter 71, 11" DD and 9"CONC coils
minelab musketeer 15 x18 sef
deeptech vista smart, super six,11"pitbull,14" epic
golden mask 4wd ,7" +10x12"sef
nokta fors relic. 5" +11"
GC-1023

Postby Atom300 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:12 pm

Big thank you to Kevin(Bargeman) for taking the time to pop in and give me a quick blast with the Rutus 71. Looks like a good bit of kit and hoping to link up with him in the future. Defiantly considering joining the club. Thanks again Kevin, ::g
Atom300

Return to Other Metal Detector Brands Forum