Lost Items - National Search Service

MDF Youtube MDF Facebook Metal Detecting Top Sites

Am I allowed

Please post all topics here related to the research and gaining permission to metal detect.

Am I allowed

Postby orion » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:00 pm

Evening all. Just would like to know if I'm allowed to detect on land if it has a scheduled castle, but this castle is in private grounds and the owner said yes I can :-/ and his house is listed
orion

Re: Am I allowed

Postby slinky » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:03 pm

If the land you wish to detect on is scheduled then it would be illegal to detect on the land, no matter what the land owner says......
Last edited by slinky on Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
slinky

Postby GREGGOWREX » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:03 pm

NOOOOOOOOO...not a chance ....sorry for the bad news ... :)
If I was to live to over 300 years old , would I end up in a museum ?
GREGGOWREX

Postby gavnsal » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:04 pm

slinky wrote:Hi sorry for bad news no matter what the owners say, if its scheduled then it would be illegal to detect on the site.....

Agreed ::g
HIS
XP DEUS
T2 SE
E-Trac
GARRETT PROPOINTER
DRAPER MINI DIGGER

HERS
TEKNETICS T2
GARRETT PROPOINTER
DRAPER MINI DIGGER
gavnsal

Postby orion » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:07 pm

slinky wrote:If the land you wish to detect on is scheduled then it would be illegal to detect on the land....

Thx for letting me know. So would that mean I wouldn't be allowed to do the garden on his house.
orion

Postby slinky » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:09 pm

orion wrote:
slinky wrote:If the land you wish to detect on is scheduled then it would be illegal to detect on the land....

Thx for letting me know. So would that mean I wouldn't be allowed to do the garden on his house.

You need to check to see if the garden is included in the scheduling, if it is then not a chance.....
Search for it here - http://list.english-heritage.org.uk/
slinky

Postby Pastseeker » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:16 pm

I'm going to give you some praise for doing the right thing and checking first! this will make you a trustworthey detectorist to any land owner and to the detecting community ::g

All the best.

Jim [:)
Pastseeker

Postby orion » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:20 pm

As you can see such a beautiful place, if only :( . I think I will call him and ask him if his garden is scheduled. The castle was built in the 1300's and has older walls around the owners garden. Shame
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
orion

Postby slinky » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:21 pm

orion wrote:As you can see such a beautiful place, if only :( . I think I will call him and ask him if his garden is scheduled. The castle was built in the 1300's and has older walls around the owners garden. Shame

Always best to double check and then check again! ::g ::g
It does indeed look a lovely setting, I wish you good luck with your hunting..... ::g
slinky

Postby kopparberg » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:26 pm

what a lovely setting but as been said scheduled items are off limits and normally i think its not allowed within 50metres from the boundary . but good on you to ask first says a lot about you ::g
bury st edmunds searches metal detecting club sec
etrac
garrett pro pointer
always live for today and worry about tomorrow when it comes
roman bronzes 83
hammies 12
denarius 7
milled silver 3
kopparberg

Postby shoveller » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:30 pm

I got declined a permission a few weeks ago. The farmer whos land it was previously let people on his land to detect then he got in trouble himself because there are remains of a scheduled monument or something on his land. ;;z ;;z
shoveller

Postby zxadi » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:34 pm

orion wrote:As you can see such a beautiful place, if only :( . I think I will call him and ask him if his garden is scheduled. The castle was built in the 1300's and has older walls around the owners garden. Shame

an you wanna dig them gardens up :D
WHITES DFX
whites gt headphones.
garrett pro pointer.
long handle SS SAND SCOOP.
draper mini shovel
flask & a understanding wife.
[/color]
NCMD MEMBER
beep beep, smile, dig , darn ring pulls.
zxadi

Postby orion » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:37 pm

zxadi wrote:

an you wanna dig them gardens up :D

Lol :))
orion

Postby Jason5223 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:45 pm

kopparberg wrote:what a lovely setting but as been said scheduled items are off limits and normally i think its not allowed within 50metres from the boundary . but good on you to ask first says a lot about you ::g

Is that right? I never come across anything about having to be 50 mtr from the edge of a scheduled site. I thought the edge of with was the edge you could detect up to. Not that I have been that close to a scheduled site myself.
MINELAB X-TERRA 705
GARRATT PRO POINTER
"Once you locate an object you need to find it in the soil dug from the hole. The best tool for this is your buddy's pinpointer.  If your buddy does not own a pinpointer suggest that he buy one."
Jason5223

Postby slinky » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:50 pm

That does indeed ring a bell, think its best to just keep well clear of any schedualed sites.....!
slinky

Postby orion » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:23 pm

This is the other side. Customer showing me around. Look at that lovely patch of grass mmmmmmmmm :D Nope I'm going to do the decent thing and just do his field
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
orion

Postby Billy Doyle » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:41 pm

Go to this site
http://magic.defra.gov.uk/website/magic/

Select 'Design My Own Topic' in the topic section, and in the pop-up that appears choose 'Scheduled Monuments', and then click 'Done'.

Then add the postcode or grid reference etc. of the site and the resulting Map will show you which bits you cannot detect on.

Using this map you might be able to get the landowner to talk to his neighbours, whose land may NOT be scheduled, to see if they will let you detect?

The land surrounding this site is worth having a go at, as long as you stick to the bits you are allowed to detect :)

Good luck!

::g
XP Deus 2.0
::g
Billy Doyle

Postby Trotboy » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:51 pm

The English Heritage Map is much easier to use than the Magic Map: http://list.english-heritage.org.uk/mapsearch.aspx

You can detect a scheduled site - IF YOU HAVE WRITTEN PERMISSION FROM THE SECRETARY OF STATE OR ENGLISH HERITAGE - but that is highly unlikely. You can detect up to the boundaries, but it's advisable to allow 5-10 metres of leeway to be safe, boundaries can easily be mistaken. Don't know where the 50 Metre claim comes from, but it's not true.
Recent finds: Papal Bulla of Clement V, Mary Groat, James 1st Scottish 20p, Republican Silver Denarius 130BC, Trajan Silver Denarius.
Trotboy

Postby slinky » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:56 pm

Trotboy wrote:The English Heritage Map is much easier to use than the Magic Map: http://list.english-heritage.org.uk/mapsearch.aspx

You can detect a scheduled site - IF YOU HAVE WRITTEN PERMISSION FROM THE SECRETARY OF STATE OR ENGLISH HERITAGE - but that is highly unlikely. You can detect up to the boundaries, but it's advisable to allow 5-10 metres of leeway to be safe, boundaries can easily be mistaken. Don't know where the 50 Metre claim comes from, but it's not true.

Yeah I posted that link above. Thanks for clearing up the 50 meter thing, don't know why it rang a bell!?
Still advisable to give scheduled areas a wide berth....... ::g
slinky

Postby kopparberg » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:52 pm

Trotboy wrote:The English Heritage Map is much easier to use than the Magic Map: http://list.english-heritage.org.uk/mapsearch.aspx

probalby did'nt word it right but the boundary i am sure is about 50 metres away from the sute in either direction .only its we have a site on my companies land and we cannot go within 50 metres of it.and its wise keeping a good distance rather than going the wrong side of it. and 50 metres is not that far really. and sometimes the boundries are not very well defined
bury st edmunds searches metal detecting club sec
etrac
garrett pro pointer
always live for today and worry about tomorrow when it comes
roman bronzes 83
hammies 12
denarius 7
milled silver 3
kopparberg

Next

Return to Metal Detecting Permission