Metal Detector for a beginner ?

Please only post topics that un-related to any other metal detecting forum here.
Silver

Metal Detector for a beginner ?

Post by Silver » Thu May 18, 2017 8:19 pm

Hi Guys,

I would like to know which is the best MD for a beginner as you are all experts in my opnion.
I am looking forward to see your replies.

Best regards,

Silver

Wansdyke44

Re: Metal Detector for a beginner ?

Post by Wansdyke44 » Fri May 19, 2017 10:15 am

I'd be slightly biased in saying that an Garrett Ace is a good beginner machine, it really depends as much on where you intend to search as to how much you are willing to pay for a machine.

Search the threads, there are plenty of options out there. Also take a look through the likes of Youtube and watch those makes of machine being used so you get a feel for them.

W. [:)
In the Zone

My Finds Gallery

jeap

Post by jeap » Fri May 19, 2017 10:58 am

I'd agree with W. I bought a Garrett EuroAce in January and have enjoyed using it (never used another so am also biased). It's a more expensive then the Ace150 or 250, but I thought worth the extra due to the coil (DD), european set-up and reviews. Some may give your more technical analysis of the differences in machines but this one works for me - I've only used on pasture so not sure on how it would cope with beach conditions.

Best bet would be to pop in to a local detector store, try out a few and ask the shop what they would recommend. I ignored my own advice as there wasn't a shop near me. Good luck with whatever you end up with.

Jeap

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Fri May 19, 2017 12:20 pm

There is a mass of advice on the choose a detector thread, I suggest you read that.

With no idea of what kind of decting you want to do, arable, pasture or beach (which is very different to inland) or budget giving advice is difficult.

The Garrett range would be a good starting point as these represent great value and are very reliable and will find the goods if you walk over them.
I started with the Garrett Ace 250, like a lot on here (and many still use it), and IMHO it is fantastic value for money, (I think the pin point function makes the extra cost compared to the 150 well worth while). Do not worry about the fact it has marking for coins like the US 10 cents, if its a high stable reading it will be a good target so dig it and after a while you learn what targets equate to the different notches.
Since then the 300i has been introduced, at a slightly higher price, and it is also getting very good reviews, and I suspect taking some of the previous 250 market.

IF you plan on doing mainly beach detecting be aware that the Garretts (until you get up to the higher end of the market) so not like some beaches. Mine worked fine onthe "detector friendly" beaches in the SW (Bristol Channel), but several people have said they will not work on wet sand on heavily mineralised beaches in say the NE.

Evan

Wansdyke44

Post by Wansdyke44 » Fri May 19, 2017 2:38 pm

Agree with Evan as regards Beach hunting. The ATPro or Gold is fine, but the Ace 150/250 lower end of the range is hopeless on wet sand, dry is fine but wet it just falses and has you digging to Australia. But indeed fine for pasture and better with a larger or DD coil.

W [:)
In the Zone

My Finds Gallery

Millstone

Post by Millstone » Fri May 19, 2017 7:16 pm

I would add to make sure you have somewhere to legally detect first. Then go to a good detector shop where you will get the most appropriate machine for your needs, you don't have to spend a fortune, but a cheap machine will give poor results and a lot of dissatifaction.

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Sat May 20, 2017 12:13 am

Wansdyke44 wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 2:38 pm
Agree with Evan as regards Beach hunting. The ATPro or Gold is fine, but the Ace 150/250 lower end of the range is hopeless on wet sand, dry is fine but wet it just falses and has you digging to Australia. But indeed fine for pasture and better with a larger or DD coil.

W [:)
Sorry Wansdyke, but I will repeat what I said previously - on the beaches in the SW (especially the Bristol Channel) I got the Ace 250 to work fine on the wet sand with no falsing. So it depends on where the OP is and if they plan on detecting on beaches (unfortunately they gave no idea of the price range they were interested in nor where they intended to detect, so it could be only on farmland where the 250 is a great machine for its price range).

I do not know about the Gold, but agree that the ATPro is great on wet sand, but it is a lot more expensive (so might be out of the price range of the OP) and is more complex (altough not "rocket science") unlike the 250 which is simple to use for a beginner.

Evan

Wansdyke44

Post by Wansdyke44 » Mon May 22, 2017 10:43 am

Hi Evan,

Perhaps I should do more beach detecting, but I'm more of a fields person really. Thanks for the advice might yet take it to the beach. ::g
In the Zone

My Finds Gallery

leslie(nova scotia)

well

Post by leslie(nova scotia) » Mon May 22, 2017 8:30 pm

Being a Garrett only swinger for 40 years I would have to say.....not bias a entry level Technitiks machine or aused something else. depends on the type of hunting you want to do and the amount on coins of the realm that you are wanting to fork out.

Most seem to fall in love with the first brand they swing. Take in to consideration also warranty...yes warranty!

Seek out a local club and talk to their elders....nothing like advice from those in the field and with ,most companies farming electronics out to China...well you know.

My final piece of advice.....be one with your machine whatever you choose.

Looking forward to reading your posts me son and welcome to the hobby!

mrix
Founder

Re: well

Post by mrix » Tue May 23, 2017 8:05 am

leslie(nova scotia) wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 8:30 pm

1) Most seem to fall in love with the first brand they swing. Take in to consideration also warranty...yes warranty!

2) .....be at one with your machine whatever you choose.
Two very good points made there ::g its very true that first machine you get to know and understand so very well and you really do get the best from it and as you say become at one with the machine.

Many tend to upgrade and realise the grass on the other side is not as green as they thought.

Thanks
mrix

Return to “News & General Chat”