Headphones - L & R

Please feel free to post topics about metal detector headphones here.
MDF Auction - Metal Detecting Headphones
Saffron

Headphones - L & R

Post by Saffron » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:02 pm

I am below quota for cups of coffee so apologise in advance if this is a stupid question.

The headphones I have had always have the one earcup marked "L" and the other "R" for left and right. But what difference does it make which earcup goes on which ear, the shapes are identical so its not for a better fit :-/

Evan

Fusion

Re: Headphones - L & R

Post by Fusion » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:58 pm

Please, drink more coffee.

Try watching a movie with headphones reversed. When the squadron of Spitfires approach from the right, and you hear them coming from the left, you'll be wanting to swap them round.
:(

Steve_T

Post by Steve_T » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:46 pm

No such thing as a stupid question

As Fusion said.......... ::g re left and right

all the detectors won't out put stereo as far as I know, the sound would be sent in mono to both left and right so no real issue.

Some over ear cups are shaped to allow for the ear shape to fit also may be designed to fit with comfort in mind on head band. My Bose noise cancelling over ear phones only fit properly the correct way round

As for ear buds, some it doesn't matter too much but back to as Fusion said again re sound direction, for a detector I don't think it matters as its in mono, but some are shaped especially the sports ones that have a clip like thing that fits over the back of the ear

Regards Steve
-----------------------------------------------(ooooooooo)-------------------------------------------------
He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.

Albert Einstein

Fusion

Post by Fusion » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:31 pm

Steve, there are a few stereo detectors out there, notably the US-made Nautilus machines, but among others there's the Rutus Jupiter, and the newer Alter, and the White's V3i, I think? All of them do 'mixed-mode', with a disc tone in one ear, and all-metal in the other. I guess you may have preferences which ear gets which channel, so fitting your headphones 'reversed' may be an option. But re-wiring them (swapping L and R, leaving Ground unaltered) would work if the headphones were not symmetrical, eg. XP backphones.
Other reasons 'phones may not be symmetrical include those with a single cable going to one earcup only (with an internal cable running to the other earcup). If you wanted the cable to always be on a particular side, you may have to re-wire them if you're using a mixed-mode detector.
And then there's the type of 'phones with independant volume controls for each ear. If you're hard of hearing, I said if you're hard of hearing, you may have them set quite different, and putting them on your head the wrong way round isn't going to work...
:(

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:59 pm

Thanks guys.

Re "Please, drink more coffee.", I normally do. But before retiring I had a final health check and knowing the doctor would go nuts if I admitted to the amount of coffee I drunk I halfed the true figure, I still got a right telling off for drinking too much!! - good job he did not know the true figure. But since finishing work I am less stressed so drink less.

Re "Try watching a movie with headphones reversed. When the squadron of Spitfires approach from the right, and you hear them coming from the left, you'll be wanting to swap them round." I am not too worried about getting it wrong in a movie but when WWIII starts in the next few months due to North Korea and the USA I would be worried about knowing which way the missiles or MIGs were comming from!.

If watching something like a movie with stereo output I understand the rational of having the headphones marked.

Likewise if they are shaped differently so only properly fit the one way around.

But like Steve I was under the impression that all detectors were mono. The two I have (a Garrett and Makro Racer 2) certainly are so supplying them with headhones marked L & R and identical shaping seemed to make no sense, hence the question.

So basically if you have one of the few machines with stereo output, or the phones are shaped differently or have independant volume controls for each ear there is a valid reason for the L & R and using them the correct way around.
But in a case like mine, and the majority of cases, where the machine is mono and the headphones are shaped the same then it makes no difference what so ever.

Evan

Giz

Post by Giz » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:05 pm

Fusion wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:58 pm
Please, drink more coffee.

Try watching a movie with headphones reversed. When the squadron of Spitfires approach from the right, and you hear them coming from the left, you'll be wanting to swap them round.
I have recently bought the CTX 3030 for use on the beach and pasture and am right handed up until I read the post I have been wearing them the wrong way round. I understand the post above however the target will be in the same place?If I wear them correctly then the cord will be across my body into the machine, unless I use the wireless module where I can attach to my belt on the left hand side.
Another question I also have the Deus is there a right and wrong way of wearing the headphones?
CTX 3030, Minelab Pro-Find 25 pro pointer, XP Deus, Garrett pro pointer, Lesche digging tool, plastic sand scoop.

Giz

Post by Giz » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:30 pm

Forgot to mention I'm using the Koss UR 30 headphones which comes with the machine. :D
CTX 3030, Minelab Pro-Find 25 pro pointer, XP Deus, Garrett pro pointer, Lesche digging tool, plastic sand scoop.

At Digger

Post by At Digger » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:52 pm

The L & R are as you say for left and Right and they ARE STEREO, Minelab Koss are stereo headphones as are 99% of headphones supplied with metal detectors.
Garrett headphones are included in the above ( they ARE STEREO)

A quick and easy way to check any headphones to see if mono of stereo is by looking at the male plug ( regardless if size) and see how many different contacts is on the end. Seperation will be easily seen as a Black ring between each metal contact.
Mono has 2 metal pieces and 1 black ring for seperation.
Stereo has 3 metal pieces and therefore 2 seperation black plastic rings.

If you have a damaged set of headphones try cutting the wire and count how many wires are inside.

Mono 2.
Stereo 3, usually in this order.
Red on Right
White on left
Black in the center position.

You are more than welcome to prove me wrong.

Bargeman

Post by Bargeman » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:14 pm

Do they still work when walking backwards, if so then it makes no difference which way round you put them :D

But seriously, they are just music headphones it is cheaper for the detector companies to buy in headphones from the likes of Koss. ::g
Rutus Alter 71
Equinox 800
CTX 3030
XP Goldmaxx Power

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:50 pm

I've always had both mono detectors and headphones. I wear the 'phones' so that the cord runs to the right cup as I'm right handed and don't like the cord in a 'cross chest' position.

For many years I used cheap 1970s stereo phones with a Mono/Stereo slide switch and volume control to cope with either format. I've also made my own sponge ear pads when replacement was due, to ensure the phones sit correctly 'over the ear' rather than being partly 'on ear'. (prevents getting painful lug syndrome)! Regards ss47
Arado 130 - Garrett Groundhog - Tesoro Eldorado - Fisher 1265X - Goldmax Power Makro Racer. Homemade Harness!

At Digger

Post by At Digger » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:51 pm

I have around 6 different types of headphones and have had many more all different makes over the years, from manufacturers of metal detectors to handmade up market Ones, I now use two different types depending on location and weather.
Rapoo headphones from a Rapoo wireless headset ( I used wired to my wireless module) and I also use Samsung ear buds from a mobile phone again connected to module.
Expensive upmarket types are not any better in my personal opinion.

Clarity of sound is the most important thing to look for in headphones and not a brand name.

JBM

Post by JBM » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:53 pm

Depends whether you are swinging Left to Right or Right to Left. :D

Happy Hunting.

Jerry.

Machinist

Post by Machinist » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:20 pm

I have a pair of Chefphones CP2 headphones. Due to the shape of the headband they will only fit on one way round. As I detect with the detector in my left hand I had them made so the lead and controls were on the left hand side, if i had the standard ones the lead would be going across my body.

I have noticed most people swing with the right hand but I have always swung with the left even though I am right handed.

Ray
It's all the Headless Hunters fault !!

Member of South Yorkshire MDC

Return to “Metal Detector Headphones”