Q40 find for identification

Please post any finds here that you wish help with identification.
kenleyboy

Q40 find for identification

Post by kenleyboy » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:26 pm

A Sunday dig in Norfolk on a stubble field bathed in glorious sunshine yielded me some finds , nothing to write home about but I faired ok . A full crotal bell has eluded me so far and one on my wish list but almost there with half a bell fragment . Had some buttons ,and a decorative clasp amongst the iron .No coins for me however this possible coin fragment may be too far gone to give an I.D.
I almost popped it in the scrap bag but the sunlight picked out some lettering around the edge . I thought possibly part of an old penny but try as I might I cannot find anything in the coin book which resembles a possible coin . May well be part of a token but one to test the skills of the coin/token experts on here .I think it is copper and very thin with a slight curve so I think the plough may have bent this one up as well as taking the sides off .
Photo is not good and after many failed attempts to get a decent photograph I decided the best thing was a sketch with the aid of a magnifying glass .
the "T" and "I" are very clear and what I thought initially was possibly a "V" could well now be a "W".
What looks to be a centre design is not central and I am now thinking maybe some natural corrosion but it does look fairly distinct .The only other design which is not worn are the rows of dots and the other side shows a possible "M".
Found about 6 inches down using the Q40 in all metal mode . First five bars notched out and sensitivity down one bar . If memory serves me well I think this came in at around 65 .
Fragment measures 25mm .
Many thanks in advance

Koala

Re: Q40 find for identification

Post by Koala » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:07 am

Can't help with the ID.

If you post in the ID section the right people are more likely to see it.

kenleyboy

Post by kenleyboy » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:19 pm

Hi Koala ,

thanks for the tip . Bit new to posting images etc , took an age to sort out tiny pics . How can I move this over to the I.D .section .To be honest I wasn't really sure where this post ended up as I thought it would go in the general section but cant see it .

Thanks .

liamnolan

Post by liamnolan » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:21 pm

Hi Paul, I will move this to the ID section, no probs. We can chat when I see you at the next club meeting and I will run you through how to upload the pics into a post.
Plus plenty of good Help topics in the DIY section and the ID section that will guide you through the process. General Chat is not visible on the Home Page, you need to click on General Chat section to view it.
Cheers for now, Liam :;@
Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and the decisions we waited too long to make .. Secretary Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS

kenleyboy

Post by kenleyboy » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:59 pm

Thanks Liam , much appreciated .

Allectus

Post by Allectus » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:58 pm

Blimey! Got a better, macro pic? x;
British by Birth - English by the Grace Of God.

Allectus

Post by Allectus » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:15 pm

"I think it is copper and very thin"

Possibly a Jeton fragment.

A ;)
British by Birth - English by the Grace Of God.

kenleyboy

Post by kenleyboy » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:20 pm

Thanks Allectus ,

It has been mentioned before that you are the man that can help . Sorry about photo hence the drawing which literally is all the definition that is left on the fragment . Someone on the dig also believed it could be a jetton .

dreadnought

Post by dreadnought » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:41 pm

kenleyboy wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:20 pm
Thanks Allectus ,

It has been mentioned before that you are the man that can help . Sorry about photo hence the drawing which literally is all the definition that is left on the fragment . Someone on the dig also believed it could be a jetton .
NO!!!! he is the coin identifying Jedi. my main detecting goal is to beat him to a ID, but it just aint going to happen :D
good find though. i got a jetton a little while ago, although i didnt know it was a jetton until the jedi master said it was ::g
garret 400i "old faithfull" ::g
Quest Q40, The "coin hoover" awesome machine. ::g
gp pinpointer, working perfect even after a lot of abuse ::g still working after even more abuse, £37 from fleabay, cant go wrong ::g

Return to “Identification of Finds”