any minelab quattro users?

Only for the discussion of the Minelab Quattro metal detector within this forum.
johno

any minelab quattro users?

Post by johno » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:03 am

hi all , i've been thinking about a quattro as an upgrade.
i've been told its as good as an explorer or safari in performance, recovery spped, depth, sensitivity etc but the difference is its more basic with settings and easier to use?
any truth in this or any thoughts before i make my mind up?
cheers john

Blackadder43

Re: any minelab quattro users?

Post by Blackadder43 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:13 am

Moved to the Quattro forum to get more love.... :D
When you are right no one remembers; when you are wrong no one forgets

morgans big organ

Post by morgans big organ » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:41 am

johno wrote:hi all , i've been thinking about a quattro as an upgrade.
i've been told its as good as an explorer or safari in performance, recovery spped, depth, sensitivity etc but the difference is its more basic with settings and easier to use?
any truth in this or any thoughts before i make my mind up?
cheers john
That pretty much sums it up Johno. http://www.garysdetecting.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; gives a unbiased review of the detector. A SEF coil 12x10 size will give you a ( about ) 10% increase in depth especially on pasture. I have one with a SE Pro and have found from pretty much the same sort of things from the same sort of depth during the last couple of years but as you have said the Quattro is a easier machine to use. If you do get one use the sounds it makes in conjunction with the numbers as a say 14 target sound that is a buckle will give a different sound to a 14 sound hammered and again different to a 14 sound for a button so learn the tones. Once you do you will find plenty.
Minelab Explorer se pro, Quattro, Garrett Propointer and Chef Phones = Happy Days

johno

Post by johno » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:51 pm

cheers morgan, i've got my eye on a few and will hopefully have a new one for the weekend. ive also heard that garys opinions are well respected, so according to him just an easy to use explorer really,
anybody else got any opininons ?
cheers john

johnduke

Post by johnduke » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:04 pm

hi, iv'e had one for four years. Takes time to get fully to grips (same as any detector) . Really good on the beach which was why i got it .Recovery speed is awful ,on busy inland sites full of iron is put it away and use my c scope 3mx. John
On the other hand i have four fingers and a thumb

aa-clean

Post by aa-clean » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:54 pm

It does have slow recovery tho if applied to correct site then it is a serious tol and very under rated - easy to use and very deep on quiet clean pasture - can find hammies - look for one with a procoil (etrac type) if poss - makes it a much nicer swing and def much better all round in performance and stability...

Stu
Cleveland History Hunter
Deus v2 Elsie
53 is the number
The Hammered silver "chicken dance" really IS a sight to behold
NOT to mention "Is it really ***** GOLD double take"
http://www.aa-clean.co.uk

dan

Post by dan » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:43 pm

hi there,

i owned a quattro for almost four years and used it a hell of a lot. at the same time my bro had an explorer se and although i didn't use the explorer we tested them often in the field against one another and found no real difference. both were fitted with 12x 10 sef coils and using the rechargable battery packs. lovely to use on the beach and pasture but i used mine mainly on arable fields and it found me tons of goodies. the slow recovery suited my detecting style, very slow, relaxed. i couldn't get on with the standard slimline coil, sef improved the quattro a lot in terms of stability and got a bit extra depth too. i notched out -10 and -9 and thats it, used a just audiable threashold and trash density in low. in the end i couldn't hack the weight. really loved using this machine but i'm enjoying my new machine even more. still sad to see it go though.

atb

dan.
still drying out from the 2008 WW wantage rally.
detech eds
garrett propionter
spear & jackson neverbend spade

Kong

Post by Kong » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:51 pm

Hi,
Had a Quattro for a bit now, once got used to the weight difference over a Garrett it's a doddle.
Easy to use, accurate and deep. I went for a 12 x 10 SEF and found it much more stable machine.
Was on a dig with it when got a signal, Deus and Garrett Pro had a look but didn't even register - dug out a nice hammered!
Under rated machine in my opinion.
Kong

Return to “Minelab Quattro Forum”