Minelab sov gt and the beach is it any good ??????

Only for the discussion of the Minelab Sovereign metal detector within this forum.
Junior

Minelab sov gt and the beach is it any good ??????

Post by Junior » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:20 pm

I'm thinking of getting a sov gt for the beach for wet/ dry sand as I've been led to believe they are good by others on various forums.Also do they nul like the safari / the e-trac over iron ??? Any input would be great. I've tried the dues on wet sand program and it looses a £1 on the surface after about 5 " which I Woz rather surprised??? I've found coins in the dry sand but never found anything in the wet apart from molten alui maybe not there or not walked over it ??? It's sort of put me off using the dues on the wet stuff. Any thoughts on the gt would b great. Cheers junior x; x; x;

Koala

Re: Minelab sov gt and the beach is it any good ??????

Post by Koala » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:14 pm

Yes they work well on wet sand and dry

Yes they will not detect over large iron neither will any other detector.

Deus does not like some beaches other it will be okay.

Junior

Post by Junior » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:15 am

Thank koala for reply. Just havnt had any luck with the dues on the wet stuff had a s/h c scope 4 pi didn't have any faith in it would only pick a £1 up at 6" in the air had 4 trips to beach with it and wasn't any deeper than cibola so sold it. Maybe that woz why it woz sec hand Who knows.second hand u can never tell??!! Prob give the gt a try. Had a safari/ e-trac in past on the ruff stuff sold due to the null over iron and the supp quicker recovery speed of the dues. Has the dues been the magic wand not yet. Still got to walk over it. Or has it got to be there in the first place. Cheers junior

JBM

Post by JBM » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:42 am

Yes the Sovereign range are outstanding on the beach and no slouch inland.

The Elite was reckoned to be the best of the range by those who know.

They are very affordable and numerous coils are available.

Against is the weight factor, but a bungee or belt pouch will sort that problem out for the user. ::g Jerry.

Junior

Post by Junior » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:29 am

Thanks jerry for that. Joan Allen seems to b the only one who seems to do them new. Thanks for reply

JBM

Post by JBM » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:28 pm

Second user ones do come along and its worth shopping around.

You could ask Detecnicks also have a shop around as any good dealer will give you a warranty.

Pity you dont live in the Bristol area as you could have a try with mine.

I mainly use the Deus these days and Deteknix Quest.

Best of luck.

Jerry. :)

Sewin

Post by Sewin » Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:01 pm

Only opinions....but I do own three Sovereigns, and find a lot-I'm not kidding you, a lot of stuff and good stuff too...
Sovereign-Very easy to use.
Good range of 'aftermarket'/other manufacturer coils.
Absolutely superb on the beach and can be used just like a PI machine in All Metal with no nulling.
Great on land too, but you need to be slow (as per the beach) and to use an appropriately sized coil for the in-ground conditions (this applies to beach too).
Slower recovery than Safari and Etrac but I go slow anyway.
I, and many friends believe the 'Elite better than other Sovereigns' is a myth.
PIs don't test well in air. Not a fair test at all.
The nulling over iron is a great feature.
Seen a few people with old and new Deus on local beaches. None have been able to detect fine, very quiet, short signals from deep in the sand/mud (not put there by us during test-but were there and detected by Sovereign-not detected by Deus). These have been for example silver 3ds.
I'm old and not big, 5ft 4" and can swing with a 15" WOT coil all day, day after day, and I do. Homemade straight shaft and homemade over the shoulder bungee. 'S' shaped shaft will cause me elbow pain in less than 10 minutes.
May I humbly suggest, that if you really want to find goodies off beaches (and do not want a PI), stick to multi frequency like the Minelabs, BBS or FBS, get to know your machine and get to read beaches.
Really perplexed as to why the nulling is a problem for you (?), it's one of the better features of these machines.
Good luck.

former member

Post by former member » Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:26 pm

With more and more steel cored coins building up in the busy areas of the beaches the Sov's can become overwhelmed ...unless you want to dig iron. ;;z
They're still pretty unbeatable at low tide etc ;)

A Sov with manual GB and fast recovery ............ oh dreaming again! :))

Sewin

Post by Sewin » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:38 pm

Chainmail wrote:The SOVEREIGN is probably one of the best beach machines ever produced,BRILLIANT.
The down side is its like all Minelab's, its heavy,and yes you can hip/shoulder mount it,that's if you can put up with the coil wire getting in the way every time you go to dig a target !!! ::g
It is far better to mount the control box to counter balance the coil as I mentioned previously. Hip mounting hurts the elbow. Also, no coil wire in the way of anything.

Junior

Post by Junior » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:07 pm

Thank u everybody. x; x; x;

Return to “Minelab Sovereign Forum”