What numbers have your hammered S landed on?

Only for the discussion of the Minelab Safari metal detector within this forum.
Post Reply
User avatar
Zyrbalax
Posts: 257
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:30 pm
Has thanked: 193 times
Been thanked: 129 times

What numbers have your hammered S landed on?

Post by Zyrbalax » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:03 pm

Hi all,

Have been having a great time digging holes all over a pasture field with my safari recently, my first proper permission and the first time I've been able to spend some serious time learning my machine and learning a site too.

I have moved onto using all metal, digging any positive numbers, ignoring anything with a mixed signal that includes -3 to -10, and I've found a few nice old artefacts (probable 14th-15th C trade weight, Tournai Jeton, pipe tamper), so I know the site has old activity on it. No hammered coins so far.

I'm sure it's a question of patience, and luck, and time, but I want to make sure my technique doesn't lead me to miss something special.

So, for all you lucky guys and gals who've found hammered coins using a safari, what numbers have they landed at? I've found a few silver items, all solidly in the 37-39 range, so I'm expecting silver hammered coins would come in there too, but Andy Sabisch's book suggests gold hammered coins can land even down to -5 which worries me a bit - should I be digging signals that low routinely?

What are hammered signals like? Are they single number targets or do they jump about between positive and negative numbers?

The othe thing I've noticed is that small deep targets just give a very small "peep" as the centre of the coil passes over, very easy to miss which I think reinforces the "swing low and slow" mantra...

Many thanks for any advice and replies
Z


Minelab Safari

"There's treasure everywhere!" (Calvin & Hobbes / Watterson)

Best find 2019: Robert III of Bethune - Alost Penny 1305-1322

User avatar
sweepstick47
Moderator
Posts: 8840
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:21 pm
Location: North Lincolnshire
Has thanked: 1323 times
Been thanked: 2003 times

Re: What numbers have your hammered S landed on?

Post by sweepstick47 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:32 pm

Very briefly (as I'm not a Minelab User though I am a fan). The electrical conductance of silver is far greater than that of gold and that accounts for the readings being at variance. It is never wise in my opinion to make the decision to 'dig or not to dig' purely on the target ID meter response as both the condition of a target and it's attitude in the ground are contributory factors affecting the meter reading. Now I'll let knowledgeable Minelab user/members provide the detail your asking for ::g Good Luck - Regards ss47
A disservice is no service at all in my book ::g

User avatar
fred
Posts: 8279
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:15 pm
Location: Kent
Has thanked: 1446 times
Been thanked: 4321 times

Re: What numbers have your hammered S landed on?

Post by fred » Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:32 am

sweepstick47 wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:32 pm
Very briefly (as I'm not a Minelab User though I am a fan). The electrical conductance of silver is far greater than that of gold and that accounts for the readings being at variance. It is never wise in my opinion to make the decision to 'dig or not to dig' purely on the target ID meter response as both the condition of a target and it's attitude in the ground are contributory factors affecting the meter reading. Now I'll let knowledgeable Minelab user/members provide the detail your asking for ::g Good Luck - Regards ss47
Great answer. It is so long since I used the Explorer family detectors that I can't remember the numbers, not that I took much notice of them anyway. Most people detect with an open screen with perhaps just a few squares blanked out to indicate the obvious iron. Dig everything at first and you will soon get to know what good targets sound like and where thet appear on the screen. Depth also affects the numbers greatly and small, deep objects beyond the limits of the detectors identification capabilities may sound like iron anyway. Hammies come in all sizes and gold is a particular swine to identify.

If time is no object then the only safe way is to dig everything except the very obvious iron signals. Even the obviouly iron signals may be masking a target so personally I'd remove the larger ones of those too, once all the more hopeful targets had gone. I used to figure that if I ended up with about 10% iron then I probably wasn't missing very much of the good stuff. Best of luck.
Equinox 800 x2

User avatar
dig-dog
Posts: 703
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:24 pm
Location: Kent
Has thanked: 136 times
Been thanked: 132 times

Re: What numbers have your hammered S landed on?

Post by dig-dog » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:33 am

I agree with everything said above.
My first decent detector was an explorer Xs and I spent many, many hours trying to find out what numbers added up to hammered coinage. This was a very frustrating experience, but I soldiered on.
I managed to find one hammered in about 18 months of use. I had no guidance from anywhere that I was doing it all wrong. I then bought an e-trac and I carried on in hope of finding out what the magic numbers were and I was still doing it wrong. I remember finding out that the bigger the silver the bigger the number, but this was more confusing. A cut quarter came in at 15 05 (the 05 part being the number you’d get on your machine) and a groat came in at 14 37. This made me reconsider my strategy. Dig every repeatable signal and remember that due to all sorts of factors scratchy, grunty or screamy signals could all lead to hammereds. Eventually you’ll acquire an ear for it but that is something that is unexplainable in text. IMHO minelab machines require years of patience to learn how to operate them correctly but when you get there, they are fantastic
DD ::g
E-trac 13" ultimate coil.
Full XP Deus 11" coil / hf elliptical coil
Sniper spade

Spearhead
Posts: 615
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:37 pm
Has thanked: 599 times
Been thanked: 461 times

Re: What numbers have your hammered S landed on?

Post by Spearhead » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:23 am

I have been a Safari user for the past five years or so. It is a fantastic machine. I dig anything above -3 and regularly find good items. I have had 55 hammereds this year. The hammereds normally come in at either 13 to 15 but larger ones can hit 20. I have had them at 9 which is normally a foil signal.
There will always be exceptions depending on the ground conditions.
Stick with it, the Safari loves silver.

User avatar
Zyrbalax
Posts: 257
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:30 pm
Has thanked: 193 times
Been thanked: 129 times

Re: What numbers have your hammered S landed on?

Post by Zyrbalax » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:28 am

Spearhead wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:23 am
I have been a Safari user for the past five years or so. It is a fantastic machine. I dig anything above -3 and regularly find good items. I have had 55 hammereds this year. The hammereds normally come in at either 13 to 15 but larger ones can hit 20. I have had them at 9 which is normally a foil signal.
There will always be exceptions depending on the ground conditions.
Stick with it, the Safari loves silver.
Spearhead, many thanks. Do you find a hammered's signal bounces around the numbers at all or are they solid in a tight range? I'm wondering about signals that give me say an initial 19 and then a mix of negatives and positives. So far when I've dug these it's always been extremely corroded iron.

I have also noticed that I get false positive signal numbers a lot when the very tip of the coil initially goes over an iron object; sweeping over it again turns it into a solid -10 or -9. Similarly at the end of a sweep if I change direction too fast!

Z
Minelab Safari

"There's treasure everywhere!" (Calvin & Hobbes / Watterson)

Best find 2019: Robert III of Bethune - Alost Penny 1305-1322

User avatar
Zyrbalax
Posts: 257
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:30 pm
Has thanked: 193 times
Been thanked: 129 times

Re: What numbers have your hammered S landed on?

Post by Zyrbalax » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:34 am

Thank you SS47, Fred and dig dog for raking time to reply. I have a lot still to learn and I take all your comments on board. I think I'm going to be digging more signals from now on!

"Dig every repeatable signal" - sounds like very good advice!

Many thanks
Z
Minelab Safari

"There's treasure everywhere!" (Calvin & Hobbes / Watterson)

Best find 2019: Robert III of Bethune - Alost Penny 1305-1322

User avatar
sweepstick47
Moderator
Posts: 8840
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:21 pm
Location: North Lincolnshire
Has thanked: 1323 times
Been thanked: 2003 times

Re: What numbers have your hammered S landed on?

Post by sweepstick47 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:40 am

u;@ ..and never a truer word was spoken! A productive if tiring strategy but definitely worth the effort. Good Luck - Regards ss47
A disservice is no service at all in my book ::g

Spearhead
Posts: 615
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:37 pm
Has thanked: 599 times
Been thanked: 461 times

Re: What numbers have your hammered S landed on?

Post by Spearhead » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:53 pm

Zyrbalax wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:28 am
Spearhead wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:23 am
I have been a Safari user for the past five years or so. It is a fantastic machine. I dig anything above -3 and regularly find good items. I have had 55 hammereds this year. The hammereds normally come in at either 13 to 15 but larger ones can hit 20. I have had them at 9 which is normally a foil signal.
There will always be exceptions depending on the ground conditions.
Stick with it, the Safari loves silver.
Spearhead, many thanks. Do you find a hammered's signal bounces around the numbers at all or are they solid in a tight range? I'm wondering about signals that give me say an initial 19 and then a mix of negatives and positives. So far when I've dug these it's always been extremely corroded iron.

I have also noticed that I get false positive signal numbers a lot when the very tip of the coil initially goes over an iron object; sweeping over it again turns it into a solid -10 or -9. Similarly at the end of a sweep if I change direction too fast!




Z
You do get some bouncing about but if you keep practicing with the numbers you will crack it. I often get initial negative numbers but by watching the numbers when swinging back and forth over the signal you will sometimes see a positive number suddenly appear then disappear again, it's difficult to explain but you might see fluctuations on a single signal like this;
-3, -5, -3, +16,-3
When this happens, I call it a positive flick when a good number suddenly and briefly shows itself, I always dig these and most times the signal improves and turns into a more solid positive after digging out a bit.
Ref your second point, this is fairly normal and again it's just a question of practice. The tone is also important, solid two way signals with positive numbers are straight forward and should be dug every time. Sometimes however the signals can be a bit wishy washy but if the numbers give that positive flick you should take the top off and see if the signal improves.
I do find -3 challenging sometimes, I have had non ferrous finds at -3 but I also find that solid bits of rusty iron up to about 2" diameter do give a really good audio signal but you get to know these.
The settings that I use are as follows, hopefully you can understand these as I am repeating them from a note I made when I first set it;
Press coin and jewellery mode.
Using the arrows and set and reject button remove all of the black discrim bar.
Sensitivity set to auto.
Threshold set to 9.
Press set/ reject button to return to main screen.
Press and hold for 4 seconds any of the right hand buttons to save as a custom programme.
Ferrous signals will be high pitched on these settings.

This is a killer programme that I use, learn and do not change. It is an all metal programme.It will find cut quarters to large items. But as I said before practice is the key, dig and learn then dig again.
The Safari is an awesome machine. P.s don't dig -4 to -10 unless there is a positive flick as described above.

User avatar
Zyrbalax
Posts: 257
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:30 pm
Has thanked: 193 times
Been thanked: 129 times

Re: What numbers have your hammered S landed on?

Post by Zyrbalax » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:09 pm

Spearhead,

Thank you so much. Getting such detailed advice from an experienced Safari user really is invaluable. I will set up a custom program as you suggest and practice with it - at the moment I'm using the standard all metal program with no discrimination, iron making low tones.

I understand what you mean about the positive flick, I think I may well have missed some good stuff through not knowing this so again, thank you!

I will be sure to post anything I find that I would previously have ignored - fingers crossed!

Best wishes
Z

::g
Minelab Safari

"There's treasure everywhere!" (Calvin & Hobbes / Watterson)

Best find 2019: Robert III of Bethune - Alost Penny 1305-1322

Spearhead
Posts: 615
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:37 pm
Has thanked: 599 times
Been thanked: 461 times

Re: What numbers have your hammered S landed on?

Post by Spearhead » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:15 pm

Zyrbalax wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:09 pm
Spearhead,

Thank you so much. Getting such detailed advice from an experienced Safari user really is invaluable. I will set up a custom program as you suggest and practice with it - at the moment I'm using the standard all metal program with no discrimination, iron making low tones.

I understand what you mean about the positive flick, I think I may well have missed some good stuff through not knowing this so again, thank you!

I will be sure to post anything I find that I would previously have ignored - fingers crossed!

Best wishes
Z

::g
Thanks Z, the finds are there and you have one of the best detectors in the world. Don't give up on it, have patience and enjoy the learning process. Good finds will come.

Post Reply

Return to “Minelab Safari Forum”