places around Peterhead??

Only topics specifically related to metal detecting in Scotland within this forum.
jimmy59

places around Peterhead??

Post by jimmy59 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:04 pm

Hi everyone, I am a newbie and looking for places to detect round about Peterhead apart from beaches, was just wondering if I would need permission to detect around the ruin of Slains Castle, fed up wi beaches they are covered now in fresh sand! Thanks guys!!!

hunter59

Re: places around Peterhead??

Post by hunter59 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:15 pm

Hi Jimmy welcome to the forum. OooO You will need permission from the landowner for any area you want to detect also it is illegal to use a metal detector on any scheduled site. As regards Slains Castle it does not appear to be scheduled but if you manage to get permission it's best to check for any restrictions. Aberdeen council have a good website for checking and researching historical areas but it tends to be temperamental in when it works.

https://online.aberdeenshire.gov.uk/smrpub/default.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope you find somewhere to go and happy hunting. ::g

geoman

Post by geoman » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:36 pm

I have visited Slains Castle many years ago whilst working in the area. I understand it is a relatively modern castle/folly and totally ruined with lots of graffiti and bonfire debris with plenty of McEwans cans i recall. Dont think you would have much success if you got permission.

detectorman5050

Post by detectorman5050 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:48 pm

geoman wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:36 pm
I have visited Slains Castle many years ago whilst working in the area. I understand it is a relatively modern castle/folly and totally ruined with lots of graffiti and bonfire debris with plenty of McEwans cans i recall. Dont think you would have much success if you got permission.
That's pretty sad to hear, there was no graffiti/litter etc, when I used to visit it as a child. A sign of the times. ;;z
Minelab Equinox 800. CTX 3030. Intey Pinpointer.

Return to “Scotland Metal Detecting”