Detecting on Arran

Only topics specifically related to metal detecting in Scotland within this forum.
Daveruss

Detecting on Arran

Post by Daveruss » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:37 pm

Hi, has anyone experience of detecting on the Isle of Arran either inland or beach. Any tips would be appreciated.

rab the ranter

Re: Detecting on Arran

Post by rab the ranter » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:25 pm

Never detected there myself but a friend of a friend who is related through drink lives and detects there and has had many a good find mostly on farmland. You also have the added bonus of stunning scenery.

cantona1

Post by cantona1 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:28 pm

a friend of a friend who is related through drink
[/quote]
That's the kind of friend to have ::g

Daveruss

Post by Daveruss » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:22 pm

Thanks for the info, don’t mind a tipple or two of an Arran single malt either :D

Redmoorphil

Post by Redmoorphil » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:27 pm

The far right of Lamlash Bay (when looking at Holy Island) has produced quite a few predecimal coins for me in the past but nothing too interesting or out of the ordinary. Brodick Beach produced very little. Haven't tried any farmland but there is nowhere nicer to spend a day, even if you find nowt!
I remember when I was a kid finding an old bottle dump near a hotel on the West side somewhere. We must have pulled out over 200 old ceramic jars and bottles in absolutely perfect condition. We couldn't get them all home so left them in boxes at the cottage we were staying at as our granparents were spending the 2 weeks after us there and arranged for them to bring them back for us.
A week later we had a nasty letter from the cottage owner - they hadnt seen the note we left and were complaining about the rubbish we had left for the next occupiers - and they had thrown everything away!

geoman

Post by geoman » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:01 pm

I detected a few beaches in the 80's when on holiday with the family. Brodick beach was the best at the time and with the number of coins that came up it had probably not seen a detector. Hundreds of decimal and predecimal coins each day until i had covered the beach from one end to the other.

The oldest finds were Victorian including a nice gold ring. However i am sure it has been depleted by now by the locals. Still as some have said the scenery takes some beating with the only downside being the midges.

Return to “Scotland Metal Detecting”