Scottish hammy coins.

Only topics specifically related to metal detecting in Scotland within this forum.
alecmartin

Scottish hammy coins.

Post by alecmartin » Thu May 12, 2011 7:58 pm

Hey everyone, Hope all is good, I was just wondering if many people have found a Scottish hammy coin? The reason im asking well im desperate to find one on my Glasgow field. I can only get on it maybe once or time during the week and i dont think my garrett is up to it, I keep getting signals constantly from rotten iron, lager cans from th golf course and plus my detector doesnt give the right tone to the the proper item, I mean if it gives a tone for a ringpull it usually is a coin or vice versa its very frustrating anyway soz for draggin on.

custard

Re: Scottish hammy coins.

Post by custard » Thu May 12, 2011 8:57 pm

I haven't found a Scottish hammy as such, but I have found an English one in Scotland. Charles the First shilling it was, minted in London. I have seen pics on scottish MD forums of people showing their hammies, so they're here - albeit not in the numbers they are down south. Keep looking.

I don't know what Garrett you've got but the 150 and 250 Aces are made for American coinage. I've never used one but have seen others say that something like a thin hammered coin could show as a ring-pull on a Garrett Ace - Americans just don't have coins like that. By our standards all their coins are modern.

Maybe start a thread on the Garrett forum asking what settings other people are using. They certainly are capable of finding goodies, if the goodies exist and you aren't running it on a setting that might reject them. There is a thread here today with a member showing a hammy and a half sovereign he found with his Garrett 250.

Have you ever made a test bed to see what signals you get with different types of metal?

Blackadder43

Post by Blackadder43 » Thu May 12, 2011 9:05 pm

I found a couple alexander III hammered here in Somerset.....shows just how much trade was going on back then......
When you are right no one remembers; when you are wrong no one forgets

alecmartin

Post by alecmartin » Thu May 12, 2011 9:28 pm

Thnks for the reply Custard. I use the ace 250, Yeah I jave tried the bench test many times though it is nevr accurate. For new coins it always discards them as ringpulls. I tend now to use it on all metal so I dont miss out on the coins which will flash up as trash.

grumpyjohn

Post by grumpyjohn » Sat May 21, 2011 9:16 pm

Apart from many turners in various states of decomposition have turned up an ecclesiastical farthing and a Crossraguel penny both 1460-80 and in readable condition. Also found 3 English silver coins and an Easterling of John of Avensis. Also found a few hammies on ventures South of the border. :)
Better to live a rich life and die poor than live a poor life and die rich

Return to “Scotland Metal Detecting”