Metal Detecting in Scotland

Only topics specifically related to metal detecting in Scotland within this forum.
sirarry

Metal Detecting in Scotland

Post by sirarry » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:55 pm

thought these might help anyone thinking of detecting in scotland(not the locals,as they'll know this),as laws there differ from the rest of the uk.....

http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/metal_detecting.pdf this one gives very good info and links
http://www.outdooraccess-scotland.com/

legacy 1500
viking 6DX
draper 71391

Rincewind

Re: detecting in scotland

Post by Rincewind » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:13 pm

I drag the missus up scottish hills two or three times a year and she suggested i take the detector next time to give her a rest :)) Useful info,thanks sirarry.
People whose concept of ancient history is the first series of Star Trek may be treated with patience, because it's usually not their fault they were reduced to getting their education from school.

Terry Pratchett

minelabmania

Re: Metal Detecting in Scotland

Post by minelabmania » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:23 pm

Give us a shout if you do.

Maybe we could get a session in sometime, depending on which bit of scotland you visit

Rincewind

Post by Rincewind » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:29 pm

We usually stay in tummel bridge at the cheapo caravan site,makes a perfect base and is right next to our favourite lump,schiehallion.

Thats a kind offer and we might just take you up on it :)
People whose concept of ancient history is the first series of Star Trek may be treated with patience, because it's usually not their fault they were reduced to getting their education from school.

Terry Pratchett

Hotrod

Post by Hotrod » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:08 am

Happy Burns Night to all you Scottish Detectorists !!
Minelab Safari
Minelab X-Terra 705

Beany_bot

Post by Beany_bot » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:58 am

This could be a sticky? It contains the laws that must be adhered to in Scotland which differ from england, important That people know this. All finds must be submitted to the treasure trove. (9 times out of 10 you will get it back, they only keep it if they don't have a better one). And if they do keep it they auction it to the museums and you get paid. Just our way of preserving the past I guess. Good and bad points.

Cynergy

Post by Cynergy » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:11 am

Day time TV so I didnt see it but my maw saw a news article reporting the detecting laws in Scotland are under review due to the fact "nothing" was being found or reported here. Is it any wonder?

:))
The broad masses of a population are more amenable to the appeal of rhetoric than to any other force.

captain

Post by captain » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:27 am

my home town is in greenock not 2 far from glasgow

Rayzor

Post by Rayzor » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:36 am

Id love to detct the Falkland hills and surrounding farms in east fife, loads of history there, I lived in freuchie(pronounced frukie) for a couple of years and loved the countryside and exploring there, Getting home and pulling the boots off and grain seeds falling out brings happy memories.
XP Deus 9, new11 and 13 inch coils with WS4 and WS5 headphones
http://berkshire-detectorists.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Chairman and founder of Berkshire Metal Detectorists Club

Cynergy

Post by Cynergy » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:50 am

Rayzor wrote:Id love to detct the Falkland hills and surrounding farms in east fife, loads of history there, I lived in freuchie(pronounced frukie) for a couple of years and loved the countryside and exploring there, Getting home and pulling the boots off and grain seeds falling out brings happy memories.
Reminds me of putting the feed out for the pheasants, shoulder carried tons of the stuff hand balled in sacks through the woods into the pens = grain in boots, trousers, pants and shirt all over the spare room carpet!

Fekin hard work but worth every bead / gallon of sweat.
The broad masses of a population are more amenable to the appeal of rhetoric than to any other force.

carltoncommando

Post by carltoncommando » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:33 am

Did someone mention kyber pass =)) =)) =))

Rayzor

Post by Rayzor » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:48 am

This post is about detecting in Scotland, Im sure you don't have any experience or knowledge of the land north of the border, so no real need for you to reply,( I grew up in Scotland). If you have issue with my description of reminiscence from years gone by, please feel free to report it to an admin instead of trying to publicly humiliate me.
http://berkshire-detectorists.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

carltoncommando

Post by carltoncommando » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:08 am

Anyway. back to the thread.... i got a mate who lives up dundee and i might just go see him and take the detector along see what happens up that way.

Rayzor

Post by Rayzor » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:46 am

Yes it is Glenfiddich, I was wearing my kilt at the same time. Im Scottish, I was born in Dunfermline and grew up in many places through Fife.
Freuchie holds some fun childhood memories, Im sure I read somewhere that there was a battle near there and I remember playing on the farm and in the fields that lead up to the road that leads to Falkland, Id love to go back with a detector one day and have a go.
Dad still lives in Cowdenbeath, Sister is in Edinburgh, and twin bro lives down in Leith.
So, If I get some time to come to detect near you, I have a few places to crash.

Rayzor

Post by Rayzor » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:31 pm

I eventually found the original pic, yes you are all free to take the p/zz =))

Cynergy

Post by Cynergy » Tue May 17, 2011 11:53 pm

Kinda reminds me of when I used to travel to EUland and some of my mates would wear the kilt as a lady and free drink magnet. Allways went to plan, even at the start of the trips on the over night ferries, loads of free swally, girlie hands up kilts, screams, giggles and dirty laughs, then as the night got merrier kilts would be lifted for photographic displays always with a crowd of lassie's grinning like haddie's while one took the piccy THEN two of my buddies who shall be known as MadJohn and Toeknee 'cos that is there names stood on the stairs facing a huge mirror surounded by grinning girls all wanting to be in the next picture....SMILE... up went the kilts and in the mirror Toeknee saw MadJohn's huge "war hammer" dangling below the tartan!

Toeknee didnt do photo's any more when MJ was around :P

John Brassey

Post by John Brassey » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:29 am

My daughter lives in St Andrews and had a baby (our first grandchild) last week. so we bought a static caravan there in order to be able to see them more often (we live almost 300 miles away). I'm going to be there quite a lot so if anyone is interested in getting out, get in touch.

John
Retired 2010
5 Hammered
10 Hammered
44 Hammered
31 Hammered
36 Hammered
My blog http://johnbrassey.blogspot.com

Nailman

Post by Nailman » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:45 pm

Does anyone know the law on beach detecting, I'am going to the sun drenched Orkney islands
Tryed the link on original post but came up error?
Fisher F75 SE
Xp. Adventis 2
Chefphones CP3
Chefphones Cp2
Evoloution spade
Bad back
Experienced button digger

ferez

Post by ferez » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:28 pm

Updated link for historic Scotland booklet as the one in first post is no longer working.

Code: Select all

www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/metaldetecting.pdf
ferez
Garrett Ace 250 with Nel Tornado coil.
1 x Roman
3 x Hammered

Seek and ye shall find

vespaman

Post by vespaman » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:10 am

you can detect the beaches on orkney,just stay away from anything historic,
you can try the local landowners for access you never know.

maybe join detecting scotland see if theres anyone on there from orkney that can help you out.
have fun and i hope you like coos.

clint

Post by clint » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:49 am

I once heard someone say that about crabs but surely the sea would wash the sugar away before they found it?...

Clint
Etrac.13" Ultimate Coil.CP3 TT`s
8x6 sef
Euroace.
Deteknix Pointer,camo,oh yeah! ...does what it says on the box..
Garrett Propointer..ok...(now it's fixed!)
Jeff`s big tool!

vespaman

Post by vespaman » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:00 am

just get a hold of some Smidge most chemist now stock it up here,along with a load of other places.

oh and you dont have to worry about detecting in the forrests on orkney as there arent any :))

Sidious

Post by Sidious » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:14 pm

Here's a link for applying to metal detect on or near sheduled monuments

http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/s42 ... n-form.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and the notes that are needed for the above form

http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/s42 ... -notes.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Scotland Metal Detecting”