A little sad...History lesson

Only topics specifically related to metal detecting in Scotland within this forum.
Beany_bot

A little sad...History lesson

Post by Beany_bot » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:57 am

Was chatting to a guy yesterday who really knows his stuff and he was telling not to expect the kind of finds that you guys down south get. He said that right from Celtic times right up the the mid 1700's Scotland has always had a massive massive shortage of coinage. Apparently we didn't have the silver or gold mines that you guys had. Generally speaking the way to trade was bartering, right up untill "recent" times. Some French and Dutch coins were smuggled back to try and use and any Scottish coins that made their way to England were kept because of their rarity and quality.

A little history for you there :)

Alas, fairly sad news as I was hopeing that first hammie was just around the corner :( nevermind though, there is still plenty to find!

Shufly

Re: A little sad...History lesson

Post by Shufly » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:04 am

Dont forget Beany-bot, theres another reason why coins are scarce up yopur neck of the woods, :-w I knew a Scot once who dropped a Penny,...... it hit him on the back of the head on the way down... =)) =)) =)) =)) =))

salaud

Post by salaud » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:09 am

I am in the same boat here in the isle of man, with bartering and some tokens haveing being the main way of doing business, so dont reckon my first hammie is gonna happen any time soon either :(
On a positive note though it does mean that any manx coinage from the mid 1700`s onwards is worth considerably more than its English equivalent :)) :))

Whites TDI sl pulse
Etrac x 3
Garrett At pro
Explorer xs
Minelab sovereign
Whites v3i
Whites dfx 3 times
Minelab safari
T2 se
CS4pi
Fisher f5
Pro pointer
Gurt big shovel

Beany_bot

Post by Beany_bot » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:39 am

salaud wrote:I am in the same boat here in the isle of man, with bartering and some tokens haveing being the main way of doing business, so dont reckon my first hammie is gonna happen any time soon either :(
On a positive note though it does mean that any manx coinage from the mid 1700`s onwards is worth considerably more than its English equivalent :)) :))
This is true! Apparently you can retire on a gold Scottish coin! <:-P

Bilko

Post by Bilko » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:40 am

there were massive Roman armies that pushed into Scotland (I think)
http://www.metaldetectingagency.co.uk/t ... ieces.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Beany_bot

Post by Beany_bot » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:11 am

Bilko wrote:there were massive Roman armies that pushed into Scotland (I think)
Not really mate, well not very far north at all, also soldiers didn't really have much coinage, it's the towns and things you find that. Roman in Scotland is very rare. There was some small "forts" but these have been totally dug and nothing left now.

fabio961

Post by fabio961 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:18 am

plus...the Scots battered the living daylights out of any Roman army that tried to take them on..amusingly! Anything taken from that army by the Scots would be around somewhere surely though, or was it all melted down?

morning wood

Post by morning wood » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:19 am

Beany_bot wrote: Generally speaking the way to trade was bartering, right up untill "recent" times.
At first I thought you had written "battering" :)) Which was probably true also :))

I see that there is a chap on here on the Shetlands. I know they've plenty of history but I wonder how he gets on?

Bilko

Post by Bilko » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:25 am

Beany_bot wrote:
Not really mate, well not very far north at all, also soldiers didn't really have much coinage, it's the towns and things you find that. Roman in Scotland is very rare. There was some small "forts" but these have been totally dug and nothing left now.
I watched a programme where a huge Roman army (80,000 men?) came to put down insurrections in Scotland.They built amazing camps which can still be seen on Google Earth
http://www.metaldetectingagency.co.uk/t ... ieces.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Beany_bot

Post by Beany_bot » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:35 am

fabio961 wrote:plus...the Scots battered the living daylights out of any Roman army that tried to take them on..amusingly! Anything taken from that army by the Scots would be around somewhere surely though, or was it all melted down?
I would have thought that with the lack of metal in scotlad they would have been melted down. Just a guess thou.

Heavymetaldetector

Post by Heavymetaldetector » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:16 pm

I read a book a while back on illegal whiskey distilleries in the 1700s and 1800s, which would be hidden out in the middle of nowhere. You never know, somebody might have buried a few bottles up in the hills and never came back to claim them!!

loud ed

Post by loud ed » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:40 pm

I realy feel for you poor Scottish detectorists there must be areal shortage of lost coins for you to find

well its only the visitors to your lovely country that would lose them

and that wall is a great idea it stops any lose change rolling into england
XP DEUS USER

fabio961

Post by fabio961 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:38 pm

this is quite an interesting site: http://www.romanscotland.org.uk/

few hoards found in bonny Scotland..

liam09

Post by liam09 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:44 pm

Theres stuff to be found everywhere its just needs the patietce and been at the right place at the right time and you will find that hammered.

GREGGOWREX

Post by GREGGOWREX » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:44 pm

Beany m8....Look here my old son ..hehe .......you had the vikings the romans the french the irish and god knows how many INVADING your shores...your going to find something lolol :))
If I was to live to over 300 years old , would I end up in a museum ?
Euro tek pro 11inch coil
The early bird gets the worm , The second mouse GETS the cheese ;)

Beany_bot

Post by Beany_bot » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:09 pm

greggowrex wrote:Beany m8....Look here my old son ..hehe .......you had the vikings the romans the french the irish and god knows how many INVADING your shores...your going to find something lolol :))
True true, but not many managed to hang about for any length of time as we beat the crap out of the lot of them :)

rustynail

Post by rustynail » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:07 pm

Absolutely correct. Most people know about Hadrian's wall, but few people know about the Antonine Wall which was built between Bo'ness of the Firth of Forth across to a place on the River Clyde northwest of Glasgow. It was 37 miles long and built between 140 and 142 AD. Apparently, one single Scot lifted his kilt and the Romans fled for their lives. =)) =)) =)) =)) Not really, that last bit is just me joshing. :)
Will I? Won't I? What kind of silly question is that?

Garrett Ace 250

STIG

Post by STIG » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:33 pm

Just get permission to go Tecting under the Mattresses up there in the Highlands, you'll sharp find some of them Rarer than Rare coins ya yearning for ... lol .. ;)
Dirige Deus Gressus Meos. ' May the Lord Direct my Steps '

Nokta Velox One.
Cscope 6mxi

Gold = 1
Silver = 14
Hammered = 1
Bronze = 1 Ring
Copper = 132 Coins
Musket Balls = 53
Bag Seals = 23
Artefacts = 7
Jetons = 1

Cynergy

Post by Cynergy » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:47 am

There is Roman baths in Motherwell, poor bastards never knew what hit them = end of the empire, nuff said!
The broad masses of a population are more amenable to the appeal of rhetoric than to any other force.

grumpyjohn

Post by grumpyjohn » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:55 am

In 6 years of farm detecting in Scotland I have dug 11 medieval coins (4 Scotish and 7 English). :D I look at my English counterparts who seem to find a hammered coin every outing with a degree of envy! :(
Hammered coins in Scotland are fairly few and far between!!
Better to live a rich life and die poor than live a poor life and die rich

Return to “Scotland Metal Detecting”