What are all the things I should consider?

Please post all topics here related to the research and gaining finding permission to metal detect.
Merneo

What are all the things I should consider?

Post by Merneo » Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:17 am

Hi,

Crop order , and factors like stewardship may play apart in getting a permission,

what are ALL the factors that you need take into account?

to be honest I don't want to rock up to a farmer or even email one and then appear a real no brain

because I don't understand some of the factors that are needed to get a permission

and get a good one that I hope will last

Maybe people could pitch in

and any tools that you might use to help you

and without costing a fortune - how do find out who owns what land etc

Thanks for the help

Paul

Whites Coinmaster 2/DB Series 2
Sand Scoop Home Made As yet untested
Trowel and Spade

NCMD Member

Oxgirl36

Re: What are all the things I should consider?

Post by Oxgirl36 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:33 am

When it comes to checking if land is protected this paragraph from the Code of Practise for Responsible Metal Detecting might be a good starting point:
Obeying the law concerning protected sites (such as those defined as Scheduled Monuments, Sites of Special Scientific Interest or military crash sites, and those involving human remains), and also those other sites on which metal-detecting might also be restricted (such as land under Countryside Stewardship or other agri-environment schemes). You can obtain details of these sites from several sources, including the landowner/occupier, your local Finds Liaison Officer or Historic Environment Record or at http://www.magic.gov.uk / https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/ http://cadw.gov.wales - which will help research and better understand the site. Take extra care when detecting near protected sites since it is not always clear where the boundaries of these lie on the ground.

You must obtain permission from the MOD to detect on all military crash sites.
Carpe vinum

XP Deus !!£$ I use the HOT programme on 17khz, reactivity at 2.5 on v5.21 with the X35 11” coil

Hammered silver 2019 - 22 B-)

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:39 am

More detailed advice for landowners from the Portable Antiquities Scheme - to see this in full go here
Restrictions

It is illegal to use a metal-detector on Scheduled Monuments, without permission from Historic England (England) or Cadw (Wales).
It is a criminal offence to undertake works (such as field-walking or excavation) affecting a Scheduled Monument without written consent from the Secretary of State. Applications for Scheduled Monument consent, and applications to vary existing consents, should be sent to Historic England or Cadw.
Metal-detecting is not permitted on some Sites of Special Scientific Interest (SSSIs) without the permission of Natural England.
Metal-detecting is also restricted on some land under agri-environment schemes; there are different rules for different schemes (in addition to the restrictions on Scheduled Monuments and SSSIs).
If human remains are uncovered the police must be notified; it is an offence to excavate these without a licence from the Ministry of Justice for the removal of buried remains.

Countryside Stewardship

Metal-detecting is not allowed on any 'known archaeological sites' on Agreement Land without permission from Natural England and penalties may be triggered for non-compliance; such sites are identified on the Historic Environment Farm Environment Record (HEFER) held by the Agreement Holder.
On any other Agreement Land, metal-detecting is allowed (including rallies - see below) as long as it does not conflict with the requirements of the Agreement; for example, disturbing ground-nesting birds.
All hobby metal-detecting allowed by Agreement Holders must be undertaken in accordance with the current Code of Practice for Responsible Metal Detecting, and all finds must be reported to the Portable Antiquities Scheme as set out in that Code.

Higher Level Environmental Stewardship

Metal-detecting is not permitted on 'known archaeological sites' without the permission of Natural England and penalties may be triggered for non-compliance: such sites will be identified in the landowner/farmer occupier's Farm Environment Plan.

Entry Level Environmental Stewardship

Metal-detecting is not allowed on 'known archaeological sites' under grassland without the permission of Natural England and penalties may be triggered for non-compliance: such sites will be identified in the landowners/farmer occupier's Farm Environment Record. Otherwise there are no restrictions on metal-detecting providing searchers follow the Code of Practice for Responsible Metal Detecting, and that they follow the rules on rallies below.

Further information can be found here: https://historicengland.org.uk/advice/c ... ment-land/
Carpe vinum

XP Deus !!£$ I use the HOT programme on 17khz, reactivity at 2.5 on v5.21 with the X35 11” coil

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:52 am

How do you know who owns what land?

The answer to that is through a lot of hard work! There’s no easy answer to finding out although you can pay to find out.

This thread is a nice short one and is packed with some great tips ::g

Finally there’s an introduction to finding somewhere to detect here
Carpe vinum

Merneo

Post by Merneo » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:30 am

Hi, Thanks for the replies

May be parts of the collection of posts on this subject could be put together as a "Check List"

and pinned in the forum

what happens re ww2 crash sites (EG non UK Planes) are they all recorded if so where

Can you run into one without realising?

I don't have any interest in detecting on one - but to open up the discussion for all

also is "set aside" still a thing and is this an area you can not detect on - and how do you know where it is ?

Thanks all

Paul
Trowel and Spade

NCMD Member

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:29 pm

The situation regarding 'set aside' land will be advised by the landowner.

Air crash sites in the UK are formally recorded so the chances of 'running into one' unexpectedly,
is minimal. Such a discovery would almost certainly necessitate specific consent for the use of earth moving equipment to make such a discovery.

Despite that, in the event of locating a suspected crash site (perhaps due to aircraft parts being found), it would be sensible to immediately inform the landowner for him/her to investigate and decide upon the follow-up procedure with the local authorities.

Importantly, it should be remembered, that live ammunition and human remains may feature on such a site, so it's essential to firstly cease all activity and notify the landowner.

I hope this goes some way to answering your questions. ::g Regards ss47
A disservice is no service at all.

WVAM

Post by WVAM » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:05 pm

Merneo wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:30 am
Hi, Thanks for the replies

May be parts of the collection of posts on this subject could be put together as a "Check List"

and pinned in the forum
I think you've just volunteered yourself :D ::g

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:35 pm

If "door knocking" and turning up in person be sensible about when you go.
If its a dairy farm, there is bound to be somebody around at milking time ... but they will be very busy and the last thing they want is a stranger turning up asking about metal detecting in the middle of milking.
Likewise if arable and they are busy harvesting when doing one of the last loads of the day after being out working all day in the heat and dust (accepting that many tractors now have air conditioning) is not a good time.

Knocking on the farmhouse door as the farmer is sat down for Sunday lunch is also likely to get a short response.

I have lived in the countryside all my life so might make a comment about any livestock I see which can go down well, but if I get a look of "And what do you know?", I can respond saying I have lived in the countryside all my life and my father worked on a farm.
BUT if you do not know about livestock do NOT try this, a comment of "Your cattle look well, I expect they give a good milk yield" when its a herd of beef cattle or bullocks will make you look an idiot, and rember that farmers are normally straight talking and work with livestock so recognise male cattle excrement at 100yds.

Evan

Merneo

Post by Merneo » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:11 am

Hi, I don't mind doing an edit of what people post As an editor for a checklist

but oxgirl will need agree to pin it for it to be of any use

But it should always be a working checklist as things will change

is there an order people feel it should be in ?

also anything else please chip in

may be someone could give a explanation on lidar and links to where to get it (free preferred )

and where people get old maps

As research is always going to be part of the extended knowledge of getting a permission

Thanks Paul
Trowel and Spade

NCMD Member

Merneo

Post by Merneo » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:22 am

Taken from oxgirl post for Checklist

"
Hay
Winter barley
Oilseed rape (OSR)
Spring barley
Peas
Winter wheat
Beans"

but what are the farming processes that happen within this and when you are likely to be able to detect

some I guess are harvesting / ploughing/ drilling / etc please edit the list to add

also things like spraying - ones ok to detect after - and ones to avoid and for how long

let me know yr thoughts

Paul
Trowel and Spade

NCMD Member

ratty

Post by ratty » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:25 am

Quite handy maps site..

https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/

liamnolan
Location: Hemswell, Lincolnshire. originally from Dublin, southern Ireland

Post by liamnolan » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:48 am

ratty wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:25 am
Quite handy maps site..

https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/
The maps links and other advice can of course be found here - viewforum.php?f=131
Good to be prepared before you use that door knocker, Liam ::g
Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and decisions we waited too long to make .. Spokesperson Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS Vice President European Council for Metal Detecting

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:17 pm

This topic has some great tips re getting a permission viewtopic.php?f=11&t=114280 ::g
Carpe vinum

Return to “Permissions Forum”