Cash incentive , lost permission a warning !

Please post all topics here related to the research and gaining finding permission to metal detect.
Bradrick

Re: Cash incentive , lost permission a warning !

Post by Bradrick » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:27 pm

kenleyboy wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:44 pm

Ninja Nige puts a good point across and one to think about in the future and that is to offer up your club against the opposition , at least then there is half a chance of gaining some sort of foothold .
I think that is a very reasonable point, given the direction of travel.

Equinox 800
Garrett Ace 400i
C-Scope 1220b

“My life has been full of terrible misfortunes most of which never happened.”

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:58 pm

ninja nige wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:59 pm
hi
sorry to hear that.
i had 2 of my farmers tell me last year they had been approached by commercial digging outfit willing to pay for weekends, and have huge numbers on land
both farmers told him no, they said he was an smarmy twit.
i went around all my landowners and told them if the ever wanted to go down that route i could have my club on, and organise detecting days for payment with people i know and invite (mdf).
all said not interested in that. (so far)
thought it better to keep the land and give landowner the money should it ever apply.
nige
Firstly also very sorry to hear your news Kenleyboy, from the finds you have posted on here it was obviously a good site and you seem to have taken it well (probably better than I would!!).

Ninja Nige, Not certain that approaching your landowner and saying this is a good idea, as they might not know that some are willing to pay to dig and are happy with a bottle at Christmas.

However, should anybody ever get an indication that this could happen then a "counter bid" from them as a member of a "traditional club", or even a group of friends, is a very interesting idea.

Evan

kenleyboy

Post by kenleyboy » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:43 pm

Saffron wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:58 pm
ninja nige wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:59 pm
hi
sorry to hear that.
i had 2 of my farmers tell me last year they had been approached by commercial digging outfit willing to pay for weekends, and have huge numbers on land
both farmers told him no, they said he was an smarmy twit.
i went around all my landowners and told them if the ever wanted to go down that route i could have my club on, and organise detecting days for payment with people i know and invite (mdf).
all said not interested in that. (so far)
thought it better to keep the land and give landowner the money should it ever apply.
nige
Firstly also very sorry to hear your news Kenleyboy, from the finds you have posted on here it was obviously a good site and you seem to have taken it well (probably better than I would!!).

Ninja Nige, Not certain that approaching your landowner and saying this is a good idea, as they might not know that some are willing to pay to dig and are happy with a bottle at Christmas.

However, should anybody ever get an indication that this could happen then a "counter bid" from them as a member of a "traditional club", or even a group of friends, is a very interesting idea.

Evan
Thanks Saffron ,

I was pretty well cut up about it at the beginning I have to say but having been used to losing various fisheries over many years it sort of lessened the blow a bit . If it were 10 or more years ago I may have taken it slightly harder .

Some very good finds were beginning to pop up and after three seasons under my belt I was beginning to get more of an understanding of the land but just as it was getting really interesting , then it was snatched away . However I will always be grateful of what I had managed to achieve on there in such a short space of time . ::g
I walk , I dig , I find ....naff all !

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:05 pm

Kenleyboy, be positive, at least you had some good finds from it.

You could try my only arable permission, 1 average size field and a VERY small one, I got it a couple of years back as it was much too dry for my normal old pasture permissions and the farmer said "I have another detectorist on it and he says there are only odd bits of old farm equipment on it". After going on it twice I e-mailed him and confirmed that the other detectorist was telling the truth!. Went on it for 3 short (could not stand any longer!) sessions this year and did not get a single button let alone a coin. So altough I still have that small permission overall you did much better than me.

Give it a break and do other things, fishing?, then when you fancy it get back out permission hunting. Who knows you might finish up with an even better permission and they could have done you a favour.

Evan

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:13 pm

Sorry to hear your news Kenleyboy . The situation really stinks ;;z
Carpe vinum

XP Deus !!£$ I use the HOT programme on 17khz, reactivity at 2.5 on v5.21 with the X35 11” coil

Hammered silver 2019 - 23 B-)

kenleyboy

Post by kenleyboy » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:28 pm

Saffron wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:05 pm
Kenleyboy, be positive, at least you had some good finds from it.

You could try my only arable permission, 1 average size field and a VERY small one, I got it a couple of years back as it was much too dry for my normal old pasture permissions and the farmer said "I have another detectorist on it and he says there are only odd bits of old farm equipment on it". After going on it twice I e-mailed him and confirmed that the other detectorist was telling the truth!. Went on it for 3 short (could not stand any longer!) sessions this year and did not get a single button let alone a coin. So altough I still have that small permission overall you did much better than me.

Give it a break and do other things, fishing?, then when you fancy it get back out permission hunting. Who knows you might finish up with an even better permission and they could have done you a favour.

Evan
Positive is the best way forward and to be honest I have neglected my first love which is my Fishing so rather than walking the fields I will be treading the banks for the fore seeable future . Clear my head , bit of bottle digging thrown in for good measure and re assess things at a later stage .

chillidog

Post by chillidog » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:46 pm

its bad news for you, but your not the 1st or the last person its going to happen to these groups are only doing it for one reason only.
hammered coins : 2018 =6
roman coins :2018 = 5,2019 =1
roman silver coins :2018 =1

Pete01

Post by Pete01 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:07 am

Sorry to hear that this has happened! and as others have already said- best of luck in finding another permission once you feel like getting back in to it, and enjoy the fishing in the meantime!.

Paulmlpss

Post by Paulmlpss » Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:07 am

Sorry to hear about your permission. Match Fishing was my biggest love and used to fish a lot of the big qualifiers. I've fallen out of love with it at the moment and now gotten back into metal detecting the last 4 months. I much prefer to walk around a field but getting permission is a right swine. Luckily I a mate is going out with farmers daughter so managed to get 1000 acres of arable. Only trouble is his polish workers detect too and they always detect the fields first as soon as they are harvested. I have to pay tenner a dig and feel I'm wasting my time on there. Hope you find something to keep you going. I love those bottles you find.
XP ORX 11inch x35 coil
Garrett carrot
Garden spade from out the shed ::g

Lowland

Post by Lowland » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:17 am

:( Sorry to hear that Kenleyboy..
Shiny equinox600- taped up spade-dodgy elbow
.....................deeper bliss......................

f8met

Post by f8met » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:43 am

There are a few commercial clubs looking around east Anglia at the moment, one of which posts their digs on here. If it is a commercial group then you could always pay to dig with them as you know the lay of the land. If it is a small group of individuals then they are putting a fair amount of money up front. I wonder if the landowner will see any of what they find?
Dave
Deus, 9" and 11" black coil
2019 25 Hammered
Hit my 200th hammered!

George L

Post by George L » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:45 am

Hi guys, WOW!! what a shocker...

I'm very new to the hobby, although I have thought about it for many years, having been made uncomfortably unable to work or get around properly has force my hand into thinking how i can get fitter (than I currently am) and enjoy myself at the same time.

Recently, I joined a club, that club does pay for access to fields sometimes, but often instead manages to get permissions for favours (ie. Events to raise funds for Farmers Charity), passing the raising back to detectors on the event at £5 or £10 a go.. I find this wholly acceptable, but not to the extent you are reporting here (above £100 per year), that to me is unacceptable and really taking advantage.

I took lead from the favours aspect that the club suggested, and although I really have problems moving around, when a previous customer got in touch to say he was having problems with his cooker, panicking as Christmas was just round the corner and he couldn't find an engineer to do a diagnosis & repair, so I agreed to try do it for him...
When I went out to the cooker, I noticed the owner has a very large grassed area (field) behind his house that he considers a field rather than his garden.. I asked if it had been detected before and if he would give permission to detect it, he said that it had never been detected and he would gladly give permission.. He added that he knows all the local farmers and would gladly have a word to see if he could get extra permissions for me..
Notwithstanding this, he stated that there is a Roman Fort within a couple of miles from where he lives.

The point.. If you can offer a favour in any way, or indeed offer to share a % of the find with the farmer, you may find that this goes a long way.

kind regards to you all and happy detecting
George

Bradrick

Post by Bradrick » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:10 am

Paul, as you probably know I'm a lifelong angler and if you are going to take a bit of time out to drown the odd worm, fishing has to be one of the best therapeutic remedies there are... I wish you the best with it mate.

The experience of being gazumped by someone else must be awful for you, but keep up the artwork and post any drawings of resulting stonkers you catch on here. Tight lines!

I don't want to take your post off topic, but a few thoughts on the subject here: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=116368

Brad
Equinox 800
Garrett Ace 400i
C-Scope 1220b

“My life has been full of terrible misfortunes most of which never happened.”

InofftheRed

Post by InofftheRed » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:13 am

I wonder if the farmer will declare the monies received on his or the farm's tax return.

kenleyboy

Post by kenleyboy » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:33 am

f8met wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:43 am
There are a few commercial clubs looking around east Anglia at the moment, one of which posts their digs on here. If it is a commercial group then you could always pay to dig with them as you know the lay of the land. If it is a small group of individuals then they are putting a fair amount of money up front. I wonder if the landowner will see any of what they find?
Yes I have known about the commercial side of things doing the rounds around the County .I dont think this is anything to do with them , more like a very small group . I also was approached last year from a couple of others who were also doing the rounds on land and asked me to reveal where I was detecting so they would avoid my permissions , I politely declined that one !
I have been speaking with a few others about the whole thing and it has been suggested that it is a possibility that the Farmer could have been testing the ground to see what my reaction regarding paying was going to be . He did recently mention to me that a neighbouring Farm had a pay to dig policy with a group so maybe this stems from there ,who knows , I am just speculating but for now I have walked away and closed the doors on it . ;;z

kenleyboy

Post by kenleyboy » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:41 am

George L wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:45 am
Hi guys, WOW!! what a shocker...

I'm very new to the hobby, although I have thought about it for many years, having been made uncomfortably unable to work or get around properly has force my hand into thinking how i can get fitter (than I currently am) and enjoy myself at the same time.

Recently, I joined a club, that club does pay for access to fields sometimes, but often instead manages to get permissions for favours (ie. Events to raise funds for Farmers Charity), passing the raising back to detectors on the event at £5 or £10 a go.. I find this wholly acceptable, but not to the extent you are reporting here (above £100 per year), that to me is unacceptable and really taking advantage.

I took lead from the favours aspect that the club suggested, and although I really have problems moving around, when a previous customer got in touch to say he was having problems with his cooker, panicking as Christmas was just round the corner and he couldn't find an engineer to do a diagnosis & repair, so I agreed to try do it for him...
When I went out to the cooker, I noticed the owner has a very large grassed area (field) behind his house that he considers a field rather than his garden.. I asked if it had been detected before and if he would give permission to detect it, he said that it had never been detected and he would gladly give permission.. He added that he knows all the local farmers and would gladly have a word to see if he could get extra permissions for me..
Notwithstanding this, he stated that there is a Roman Fort within a couple of miles from where he lives.

The point.. If you can offer a favour in any way, or indeed offer to share a % of the find with the farmer, you may find that this goes a long way.

kind regards to you all and happy detecting
George
Hi George ,

welcome to the hobby and I hope you mange to secure some permissions along the way . I do not have a problem with anyone paying especially with monies going towards charity . My club organises club digs locally and the money collected goes towards the landowners chosen charity .That is good for the hobby . ::g

kenleyboy

Post by kenleyboy » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:34 pm

Bradrick wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:10 am
Paul, as you probably know I'm a lifelong angler and if you are going to take a bit of time out to drown the odd worm, fishing has to be one of the best therapeutic remedies there are... I wish you the best with it mate.

The experience of being gazumped by someone else must be awful for you, but keep up the artwork and post any drawings of resulting stonkers you catch on here. Tight lines!

I don't want to take your post off topic, but a few thoughts on the subject here: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=116368

Brad
I am also a life long angler and my work is very much involved in the traditional side of angling . I have written and illustrated many articles and books on the subject and even written a book and been published however such is my involvement that actually going fishing was a bit like a Busmans holiday .
Apart from the bottle digging I thought it would be good to resurrect my past interest in metal detecting to give me another outlet to feed the "hunting" passion .
Metal detecting for me was not just about the finds as with angling is not just about catching fish , I just loved being out on the fields and enjoying what as around me , the finds were a bonus and I got lucky on a few occasions . Well versed in angling but definitely an amateur when it comes to metal detecting .
The disappointment has long subsided and I am happy about that , no point being too disheartened on something you just cannot change , it is out of my hands now so best for me to close the doors on the whole sorry affair . Time out is not a bad thing and will give me time to reflect on what to do next .
I shall still dip into the forum with the mindset of a "lull in proceedings " and hopefully be back on track when the time is right .
Enjoyed your well thought out post , fair play ::g

JBM

Post by JBM » Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:12 pm

It seems that some UK locations have suffered worse than others with digging for doe.

I have been detecting for a very long time and not had a real problem with this practice thats become the norm.

Fortunately not all farmers want to give up their privacy by opening up their homes and land for money.

It seems to be all the luck of the draw whether we are hit by this practice.

At times Iam glad Iam in the home straight and not just starting out.

Happy Hunting,

Jerry.

George L

Post by George L » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:40 pm

kenleyboy wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:41 am

Hi George ,

welcome to the hobby and I hope you mange to secure some permissions along the way . I do not have a problem with anyone paying especially with monies going towards charity . My club organises club digs locally and the money collected goes towards the landowners chosen charity .That is good for the hobby . ::g
What area are you in? Maybe that has a bearing on your issue..

People are quite welcome to join me on my permissions in ones and twos when I go.. I have found farmers asking the question "How many of you are there", so that also obviously plays a part.

regards
George

Mike. T.

Post by Mike. T. » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:02 pm

JBM wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:12 pm
It seems that some UK locations have suffered worse than others with digging for doe.

I have been detecting for a very long time and not had a real problem with this practice thats become the norm.

Same here, fortunately. Where you live in the UK does seem to be a big factor in this nasty trend.

I mainly detect in North Wales and i can't see hoards of detectorists descending on farms here, forking out £100's of pounds only to find shotgun caps and Victorian pennies. x;

kenleyboy

Post by kenleyboy » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:51 pm

George L wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:40 pm
kenleyboy wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:41 am

Hi George ,

People are quite welcome to join me on my permissions in ones and twos when I go.. I have found farmers asking the question "How many of you are there", so that also obviously plays a part.

regards
George
Norfolk , although the locals call me the "dirty Londoner " :))

lordofthecoils

Post by lordofthecoils » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:33 pm

alloverover wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:42 pm
My sympathies to you kenleyboy, ive had it happen to me and its not a nice feeling, a group of 5 gazumped me on a permission I'd had for over 10 years, I had ideas of vengeance but then thought the better of it, chin up mate, you sound like you are there already

Ideas of vengeance , know what you mean :)) your army training would have come in handy , a few nicely placed land mines would have done the job Phil ;)) :)) ::g ::g ::g ::g ::g

Kritika

Post by Kritika » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:02 am

Totally gutted for you Paul, I really hope it’s not the site where you were just getting into a few Saxon coins. ;;z
XP Deus 11' x35, NCMD Member, full of hope and generous nature ::g

George L

Post by George L » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:06 am

kenleyboy wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:51 pm
George L wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:40 pm

regards
George
Norfolk , although the locals call me the "dirty Londoner " :))
Thank's for the welcome.. I have wanted to uptake the hobby since I left the forces in the 1980's, but just never got round to finding the time.

Maybe, as JBM said, the problem is likely due to your location in the UK.. Seems a bit sad that this should be happening to you when other areas are ok though.

Although you are very welcome to join me on my permissions, it may be a bit too far for you to travel to North Wales.
I picked-up another permission today from a farmer in Wrexham :) and I have my eye on a few more sites that I figure it may have been a bit difficult for people to find the owners. The farmer thankfully does not want payment for the permission.

I hope you soon find some more permissions that are not going to rip you off.

George

alloverover

Post by alloverover » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:22 am

lordofthecoils wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:33 pm
alloverover wrote:
My sympathies to you kenleyboy, ive had it happen to me and its not a nice feeling, a group of 5 gazumped me on a permission I'd had for over 10 years, I had ideas of vengeance but then thought the better of it, chin up mate, you sound like you are there already

Ideas of vengeance , know what you mean :)) your army training would have come in handy , a few nicely placed land mines would have done the job Phil ;)) :)) ::g ::g
=)) =)) Ray, you nearly made me spit out my coffee laughing mate, wasn't quite what I had in mind but would do the trick ::g

Was thinking more of Rambo, First Blood, you know, couple of punji pits and snakes on strings, that sort of thing =)) ::g

stargazer

Post by stargazer » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:08 pm

alloverover wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:22 am
lordofthecoils wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:33 pm
alloverover wrote:

Ideas of vengeance , know what you mean :)) your army training would have come in handy , a few nicely placed land mines would have done the job Phil ;)) :)) ::g ::g
=)) =)) Ray, you nearly made me spit out my coffee laughing mate, wasn't quite what I had in mind but would do the trick ::g

Was thinking more of Rambo, First Blood, you know, couple of punji pits and snakes on strings, that sort of thing =)) ::g

There is no problem that cannot be solved with a piece of PE4/C4. Sapper regulations.
The mighty Minelab Etrac !

I'm UBIQUE! RE

Return to “Permissions Forum”