Council Permission

Please post all topics here related to the research and gaining finding permission to metal detect.
Wuntbedruv

Re: Council Permission

Post by Wuntbedruv »

jcmaloney wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:31 pm

Unless someone b**** it up. ::g

County Council next................... :D :D
Experience and cynicism tells me that it will take about 6 months before the number of people taking the proverbial leads a re-think of that policy change.

God gives all men all earth to love, but since man’s heart is small,
Ordains for each one spot shall prove beloved over all.
Each to his choice, and I rejoice, the lot has fallen to me
In a fair ground—in a fair ground—Yea, Sussex by the sea!

jcmaloney

Post by jcmaloney »

Wuntbedruv wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:41 pm
jcmaloney wrote:

Experience and cynicism tells me that it will take about 6 months before the number of people taking the proverbial leads a re-think of that policy change.

To be perfectly honest many of the parks & open spaces that are now accessible are not the place to be wearing headphones and carrying an expensive bit of kit!!!
=)) =))
Opinions expressed on MY posts are mine and NOT those of any democratic organisation I volunteer for. ::g

Buriedbytime&dust

Post by Buriedbytime&dust »

Wuntbedruv wrote:
jcmaloney wrote:

Yep. On my local park there are a very clear, and very reasonable, set of rules that come with the permit to detect. First and foremost is don't dig in the wildflower meadow or on the football pitches!

Walking the dog, I've seen numerous poorly repaired holes in the wildflower meadow and last time I was there, the ranger asked me to keep an eye out for anyone detecting on the football pitches, because they'd found holes dug on there (and yes, they were definitely detecting holes - rabbits don't dig 360 plugs and leave them protruding 3" out of the ground when they put them back...).

No doubt the same people that are doing this will be furious when the Council withdraws the permit system, which I'd imagine they will before long.

tonymacaroni

Post by tonymacaroni »

Wuntbedruv Its a Shame you feel this way you either have your own permissions or live local to a beach I assume..good for you...not all of us do or can easily access such places...so whats left done to death rallys at £20 a pop Oh Joy....and I believe we as taxpayers have just as much right to use the land as a football player a cyclist or an angler ...i live on top of a country park as well as lots of other open spaces as a dog owner through the colder months i can go day in day out without seeing another person using the land...what a waste.. my grandkids love going but that requires my being available still in the meantime they can always hang round on street corners puffing drinking and learning how to wield a knife I suppose...
Last edited by tonymacaroni on Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wuntbedruv

Post by Wuntbedruv »

tonymacaroni wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:26 pm
Shame you feel this way you either have your own permissions or live local to a beach I assume..good for you...not all of us do or can easily access such places...so whats left done to death rallys at £20 a pop Oh Joy....and I believe we as taxpayers have just as much right to use the land as a football player a cyclist or an angler ...i live on top of a country park as well as lots of other open spaces as a dog owner through the colder months i can go day in day out without seeing another person using the land...what a waste
The taxpayer argument would sit fine with me if there weren't so many irresponsible detectorists out there b*ggering it up for everyone else.

With media stories of the night shift, Treasure not being declared, finds being pocketed and rival clubs practically engaging in blood feuds over nothing (not to mention the way people pop at each other via social media) are you really surprised councils take the easy option and just ban it?

And in respect to not having a permission, this is going to sound really harsh, but you need to meet my friend Mr Percy Vere. There are thousands of landowners in this country who have never been asked about detecting. Perseverance and persistence work.

And if you don't like the idea of the pay-per-dig groups, join a local club-they'll have a yearly fee and probably access to club land which tends to be a bit more exclusive in who goes on.
God gives all men all earth to love, but since man’s heart is small,
Ordains for each one spot shall prove beloved over all.
Each to his choice, and I rejoice, the lot has fallen to me
In a fair ground—in a fair ground—Yea, Sussex by the sea!

tonymacaroni

Post by tonymacaroni »

I have exhausted the landowner route locally,fortunately I am in a club and as such I can get out and dig but the youth have no access to even follow the interest without an elder to hold their hand...we just went through the summer holidays and they were chomping at the bit to go but I could not take them as often as wanted,they could have been out on their own if the land were available,not all kids are a menace but left to sit bored in parks only ever usually leads to mischief.
Something really needs to be done to encourage the youth ...thats me done

LloydF

Post by LloydF »

Some useful info regarding Peterborough City Council and tenant farmers!

"Hi Lloyd,

Thank you for your email, I have no issues if the Farmer has given permission for you to do metal detect on their tenanted land.

Many Thanks

James Collingridge

Head of Environmental Partnerships"

Good to know!
Garrett ACE 400i
Garrett Pro pointer AT
Simplex+

f8met

Post by f8met »

LloydF wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:32 pm
Some useful info regarding Peterborough City Council and tenant farmers!

"Hi Lloyd,

Thank you for your email, I have no issues if the Farmer has given permission for you to do metal detect on their tenanted land.

Many Thanks

James Collingridge

Head of Environmental Partnerships"

Good to know!
Is he just Peterborough or Cambridgeshire? Cambridgeshire is one of the largest council owners of land and encourages tenant farming. I have read Cambridgeshires model tenant agreement and it does state that the tenant should protect the land from detecting. However I have emailed the FLO about it and she said that they should allow it as long as there are no archaeological features.

I have a friend who is s a tenant and I am trying to gain permission there as although it is fenland, my grandfather used to farm it and my uncle found a bronze age spearhead there.
Dave
Deus, 9" and 11" black coil
2020 2 Hammered
Hit my 200th hammered!

LloydF

Post by LloydF »

He is just Peterborough City Council I believe, a farmer was interested on me going on his land but wasn't sure how it worked as PCC owned the farm. I said there was no harm in asking.
Garrett ACE 400i
Garrett Pro pointer AT
Simplex+

silverfox

Post by silverfox »

I have been told that I do not need a permit to detect the beaches in Torbay and have seen many detectorists out along the waterline especially on a cold day, I should think that there is some change to be collected near the ice cream kiosks and fish and chip stalls but I will check with my local council just to make sure before I go there.

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 »

silverfox wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:26 pm
I have been told that I do not need a permit to detect the beaches in Torbay and have seen many detectorists out along the waterline especially on a cold day, I should think that there is some change to be collected near the ice cream kiosks and fish and chip stalls but I will check with my local council just to make sure before I go there.
You could put a post in this section if you any other local beach advice ::g
Carpe vinum

XP Deus !!£$ I use the HOT programme on 17khz, reactivity at 2.5 on v5.21 with the X35 11” coil

silverfox

Post by silverfox »

I asked Torbay Council where I could detect and just got a list of places I could not, but the port authority said all the beaches were okay.
It seems councils are reluctant to divulge as to which areas can be detected, I asked about common land but received no reply. ;;z

f8met

Post by f8met »

You would need to find out who owns the common land as it may not be the council.

Here is some information on common land. https://www.gov.uk/common-land-village-greens
Dave
Deus, 9" and 11" black coil
2020 2 Hammered
Hit my 200th hammered!

George L

Re: Permission for Park / Council

Post by George L »

Barbarossa wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:47 pm
rustynail wrote:Take a look at this for Kettering:

http://www.kettering.gov.uk/downloads/0 ... mplate.pdf
Blimey - that's ten pounds a month :(
Not only that, but the area is not that big.. Once it has been over a few times it would be a waste of time going..

Does the £10 fee include the council going around burying coins for the youngsters to find? :))

Happy New Year
George

BTW The link above has the wrong URL behind it
Kettering Borough Council permits
Garrett AT Pro Detector
Garrett AT Pro Pointer
Evolution Pro Cut Spade
Evolution Extreme Digging Blade
Dunlop Wellies :))

haggz

Post by haggz »

Sorry, but I think that's rather pathetic thinking how much land Councils typically own....Its probably the bare minimum small area the Council can authorise so that they can say "they allow detecting"...

This is not a crack at yourself BTW and I understand something is better than nothing, but peeves it me to see Detectorists treated as second class citizens rather than any other recreational land user...
[/quote]

I agree but try living in Hertfordshire. all council areas are protected due to many various roman sites etc. not far from my house in stevenage a large roman settlement was found prior to new houses going up. most farmers wont allow detecting and I assume it too much hassle if you find something. there are genuine detectorist active in the surrounding farmland but most wont share their good fortune on finding a permission and I wouldn't blame them. Stevenage B.C have a zero policy when it comes to detectorists. you get caught by the council or police you pay the price.

Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

Buriedbytime&dust wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:54 am
Wuntbedruv wrote:
jcmaloney wrote:

Yep. On my local park there are a very clear, and very reasonable, set of rules that come with the permit to detect. First and foremost is don't dig in the wildflower meadow or on the football pitches!

Walking the dog, I've seen numerous poorly repaired holes in the wildflower meadow and last time I was there, the ranger asked me to keep an eye out for anyone detecting on the football pitches, because they'd found holes dug on there (and yes, they were definitely detecting holes - rabbits don't dig 360 plugs and leave them protruding 3" out of the ground when they put them back...).

No doubt the same people that are doing this will be furious when the Council withdraws the permit system, which I'd imagine they will before long.

I have a permit for some localish parks, there was one rule, don't dig on sports pitches.

Got a letter a few months ago, "due to people digging on sports pitches, the right to detect on any of these sites has been withdrawn"

Lost about half the sites on the list, I'd like to think that it was people that didn't know the rule and were just detecting in the park anyway because they don't know any better, but it could have been people that had the permit and ignored the rule, makes me angry, the council could easily have just said no to detecting full stop, but instead they choose to offer a free permit for a lot of sites with a couple of sensible conditions, and a couple of idiots knacker it for everyone by not respecting it.

GrimDark

Post by GrimDark »

I emailed one of my local councils last week (Sevenoaks) informing them I would be soon getting a detector. Explained that I am aware of detecting etiquette, IE filling in my holes and taking trash finds home with me to dispose of. I explained I have lived in the area most of my life and was very much interested in the history of the local area. What did I get back?

"Thank you for your email. We do not allow metal detecting on any of our land."

Great... Thanks for that!

Blackadder43
Admin

Post by Blackadder43 »

GrimDark wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:45 pm

"Thank you for your email. We do not allow metal detecting on any of our land."

Great... Thanks for that!
Sadly it is a clause of the councils insurance policy makers
Look in our permissions forum for more tips on gaining permissions
Farm shop visits
Local facebook selling pages where you can ask
Local farms that sell their own milk etc
Farmers markets where they all gather
Friends
Horse owners
Even post folk, they know every landowner around and are worth asking....
Good luck
When you are right no one remembers; when you are wrong no one forgets

GrimDark

Post by GrimDark »

Yeah I've had a look at it. On my days off I'll be looking into calling a few of the local farms and farm shops to see if I can speak to anyone. If not actually visit the shops themselves purchase something, get chatting. See where things go!

ratty

Post by ratty »

silverfox wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:56 am
I asked Torbay Council where I could detect and just got a list of places I could not, but the port authority said all the beaches were okay.
It seems councils are reluctant to divulge as to which areas can be detected, I asked about common land but received no reply. ;;z
If they still refuse to communicate try ..

https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/gu ... e-foi-act/

Return to “Permissions Forum”