Permission to detect in Mansfield

Please post all topics here related to the research and gaining permission to metal detect.
ianr1979

Permission to detect in Mansfield

Post by ianr1979 » Tue May 16, 2017 4:51 pm

I live in Mansfield Notts, and I'm struggling to obtain any permission in my area, I can be quite shy. Because of this when a landowner says no, it seems to knock my confidence to try another landowner. I have tried to get permission through the letter route and by contacting landowner's by phone, but I'm not getting much luck this way either. Please can someone give me some advise on what I should be doing, I really enjoy the hobby and I don't want to give up on it but I'm running out of friends and families gardens to detect.

sweepstick47

Re: Permission to detect in Mansfield

Post by sweepstick47 » Tue May 16, 2017 8:52 pm

Take a look here Ian - ss47 r;[ viewforum.php?f=11
Arado 130 - Garrett Groundhog - Tesoro Eldorado - Fisher 1265X - Goldmax Power Makro Racer. Homemade Harness!

lakin

Post by lakin » Tue May 16, 2017 9:06 pm

hiya pal,me and another guy are going to buddy up to look for farms ect,im in the ashfield area,get in touch if your interested..cheers pal.

oldartefact

Post by oldartefact » Tue May 16, 2017 10:11 pm

Do you know anyone who lives in the countryside ... maybe they could ask their local farmer friends on your behalf? Its not what you know ... but who you know.

ianr1979

Post by ianr1979 » Tue May 16, 2017 10:32 pm

Hi oldartefact, I've asked people if they know anyone willing to let me detect but joy yet.

diggin+fishin67

Post by diggin+fishin67 » Wed May 17, 2017 5:35 am

Aup mate. Quite a few pay to digs round our way. that's what we do.

cheers

peteh

Post by peteh » Wed May 17, 2017 7:26 am

Can you pm me the details of the pay per dig you use Diggin, I'd be interested is those too

Cheers

ianr1979

Post by ianr1979 » Wed May 17, 2017 8:03 am

Pay to dig? I've not come across any these whilst looking for permissions. Which landowners do this? If you could pm me or email me at irosser@hotmail.co.uk

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Wed May 17, 2017 9:17 am

ianr1979 wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 8:03 am
Pay to dig? I've not come across any these whilst looking for permissions. Which landowners do this? If you could pm me.
Ian,
"Pay to dig" events are where a group organise an event and charge you to detect, rather than individual landowners charging an individual, you get a few advertised on here in the Rallies subforum.
One of the biggest groups is Lets Go Digging http://letsgodigging.com/ who organise events all over the country. The Ferret has put up links to videos of some of their previous events if you look in the Ralies section. By diggin+fishin's post there are probably other groups in your area that do it as well
They are not everybodies cup of tea, but they are a great way for people like yourself without their own permissions to go out detecting, they also have a social aspect (you say you are shy, by this I just mean people generally chatting mainly about detecting you can just join in or be quiet and listen in if you prefer) and for anybody new to the hobby are also a good way to pick up tips and advice.

Most of these insist on insurance, so if not already a member I would recommend joing NCMD http://www.ncmd.co.uk/ as the membership includes £10 million insurance (FID membership also does but I am uhsure of the details).

Evan

ianr1979

Post by ianr1979 » Wed May 17, 2017 9:32 am

Ok, I understand now, i'll have a look into this thank you.

ianr1979

Post by ianr1979 » Wed May 17, 2017 9:49 am

I have looked into http://letsgodigging.com/ and because of work commitments, I work every other weekend I fear I would miss out on a lot of digs, but this dose sound good for people just starting out in the hobby.

Fishwick

Post by Fishwick » Wed May 17, 2017 6:10 pm

ianr1979 wrote:
Tue May 16, 2017 4:51 pm
I live in Mansfield Notts, and I'm struggling to obtain any permission in my area, I can be quite shy. Because of this when a landowner says no, it seems to knock my confidence to try another landowner. I have tried to get permission through the letter route and by contacting landowner's by phone, but I'm not getting much luck this way either. Please can someone give me some advise on what I should be doing, I really enjoy the hobby and I don't want to give up on it but I'm running out of friends and families gardens to detect.
Before I started the hobby, I did a lot of research on the internet to see what I needed to do to commence metal detecting.
Please don't quote me on this but I think it was the NCMD web site that suggested that I seek out a local metal detecting club.
I found out on which night they met and where. I went along and introduced myself and explained what I was trying to do. I found them very helpful and by the end of the night-I had joined the club.

oldartefact

Post by oldartefact » Thu May 18, 2017 2:38 pm

ianr1979 wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 9:49 am
I have looked into http://letsgodigging.com/ and because of work commitments, I work every other weekend I fear I would miss out on a lot of digs, but this dose sound good for people just starting out in the hobby.
Some like the Yorkshire searchers do mid week digs if they can drum up enough support. The brilliant ting about these internet clubs is that you dont always need to be a member to go on their digs, if you go as a non member they sometimes ask for a larger "donation".

Return to “Permissions”