Approaching farmers tomorrow

Please post all topics here related to the research and gaining permission to metal detect.
oldartefact

Re: Approaching farmers tomorrow

Post by oldartefact » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:25 pm

Easylife wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:54 pm
All great advice, an approach I had planned to do but did not. But then I thought, these farmers are business people and should respect a very direct approach straight to the point. If you don't ask, you don't get! So I phoned the farmer and after telling him my name and area where I live, I just said "I want to metal detect on your land.", he said "You will be ok for now, but not in summer when the pasture is too dry. Just drop your name and contact details through our letterbox in case anyone reports you to us." That was it, go wherever I like, he is not even interested in any finds. I really was not expecting such an easy going laid back farmer, not complaining though. :D
Shame that they are not all like that.
Very well done indeed ... that said it is very good that not all farmers have an open door policy!! Think of the consequences if they did!
PS .. A big thumbs up to the few who have an open door approach ,,, and total respect to those farmers that exact a very high level of scrutiny before letting strangers within a half mile of their land.

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:15 am

Not that I have much experience of asking for permissions really, but it seems that there is no right or wrong way to ask. Just go for it whichever way you think may be the best approach. What results in a "yes" from one farmer may not be the right approach for another, pot luck but you can maybe improve your chances if you give them a reason to like you at all. I mean just get chatting about things in general first, maybe about some farming related matter in which they are interested in. Yeah, they will be looking at you thinking where is this going, then you bring up the main reason why you are there. They will smile, admire your coy tactic and you have got a foot in the door. This approach should work more than not. Just time it right, do not worry about being a bit cheeky, in this world if you do not ask you do not get, so nothing to lose. ::g

oldartefact

Post by oldartefact » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:53 pm

Easylife wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:15 am
Not that I have much experience of asking for permissions really, but it seems that there is no right or wrong way to ask. Just go for it whichever way you think may be the best approach. What results in a "yes" from one farmer may not be the right approach for another, pot luck but you can maybe improve your chances if you give them a reason to like you at all. I mean just get chatting about things in general first, maybe about some farming related matter in which they are interested in. Yeah, they will be looking at you thinking where is this going, then you bring up the main reason why you are there. They will smile, admire your coy tactic and you have got a foot in the door. This approach should work more than not. Just time it right, do not worry about being a bit cheeky, in this world if you do not ask you do not get, so nothing to lose. ::g
The "trick" is to put the moral imperative on the land owner to either ask you to detect his land, or create circumstances so that the landowner cant say no. its a bit like asking a fantastic looking girl out ... odds are she'll kick you in the proverbials ... hence an alternative strategy is required. :) :) :)

dreadnought

Post by dreadnought » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:54 pm

ive just got my first permission, and it was just a case of fronting up and asking. the farmer was very glad that i was local,(same village) and seemed quite chuffed that i would take any scrap out of the ground, hes a pasture/ livestock farmer so any nasties that can harm cattle or bailing machines is better off gone. all about honesty and being genuine. one more tip that may help is find out where your local farmers go for their pint. its easier to talk over a drink sometimes. just waiting for my racer to arrive then its a summer of swinging for me.
garret 400i ::g
Quest Q40, no longer in the testing stage, its a belter of a machine, give it a chance ::g
gp pinpointer, working perfect even after a lot of abuse ::g

Polaris100

Post by Polaris100 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:08 am

"seemed quite chuffed that i would take any scrap out of the ground, hes a pasture/ livestock farmer so any nasties that can harm cattle or bailing machines is better off gone. "

Excellent point to make.

Well done and good luck!

geoman

Post by geoman » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:22 am

Great that you have had success. Local farmer as well to boot so no miles and miles of travelling.

One tip as a new starter is that digging pasture in the summer is not often a wise move as most of the sods will die back and leave dead patches not very visually attractive for the farmer to see. Also any animals in the field will pull up the sods before thay have had chance to regrow and so leave holes. I doubt your farmer will take kindly to holes and dead grass patches all over his field.

I have just gained access to a couple of paddocks next to the local big house, but i will not be going on them until the winter.

Good luck.

Polaris100

Post by Polaris100 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:08 am

There's been some great information and tips here. Thanks everyone!
My experience:
I live in the North West of England and fancied taking up detecting in the 1980's when I returned from working overseas but as a contractor always moving about I never got around to it. Upon retirement a couple of years ago I decided that now was the time. I bought a Fisher F44 as research seemed to indicate this was the best machine for a beginner and went to find some permissions. I live in an urban area and spent some time touring only to find that within a 10 mile radius it was almost impossible to get a permission for the reasons given by alfaowner. Some people had been detecting on these areas for almost 40 years. I got quite despondent.
So, having joined two clubs in Kendal and Lancaster I started going on rallies. Through these clubs I was invited on charity rallies in Lancashire and Cheshire and consequently attended approximately 12 rallies over two years. Then I got lucky. At a meeting of the Kendal club someone asked me why I was only attending rallies. I told him that I had approached several farmers and had just given up approaching them. He said "I've got a couple of permissions about twenty miles from where you live. Would you be interested in travelling so far as I'm sure the farmers would allow you on?"
I jumped at this opportunity. He then got us another two permissions.
On the way to meet him one morning I drove past a farm and saw the farmer hosing down some plant. I stopped and asked him if my colleague and I would be allowed to detect on his land. At first he seemed hesitant but as we spoke he seemed to mellow a little. Then he agreed but told me that the land had been detected before and as it contained the site of a roman road it had been detected by nighthawks who had made a mess of his land. I promised that my colleague and I would not do that, that we were insured etc.. So far we have found nothing, I think it has been detected to death but here's the best bit, today he asked me if I could find a piece of kit he had lost in his silo shed. The silo was about four metres deep. I went over it with my new Fisher F75 and after covering about a third of the silo I received a really positive signal. I said that due to my inexperience and lack of knowledge with my machine all I could tell him was that there was a large chunk of ferrous beneath us. He dug down a few feet with a fork and then gave up, saying that he would look out for the item over the winter as the silo was used. Meanwhile he will ask his neighbours and a brother who farms nearby if we may be allowed to detect on their farms.
So, Iothbrok, good luck! Hopefully this permission will be the first of many.

forthebeep

Post by forthebeep » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:30 pm

Some great and very helpful tips and advice on here. I've not yet managed to ask a farmer face to face yet. There are some fields that I pass every morning and evening to and from work that I'd love to get on, but can never see anyone around.

I've tried sending out letters to local farms (about 25) but have only had one response which was a NO because a previous detectorist didn't respect his wishes which is really sad and not fair on honest, trustworthy and genuine detectorists.

The only two permissions I have are on two fields next to where I live. I have 8 acres of my own land to detect but its not ideal. When we moved in and went to the local pub for the first time, the local farmer approached us as we were leaving and asked us if we wanted any milk, to which we agreed. After a month or so, I thought why don't I do the same? So I went to knock on his door before we went away to pay him for the milk and, slipped him a bit of extra cash (keep the cahnge of about £4) and asked him if I could go on his land to detect. His response was "fine, just if you dig any holes, stamp it back in". Had a few finds of there so far which is great.

My other permission is my father-in-law's land so that was easy! Haven't tried the phone call approach yet so might give that a go. If you'd like a copy of my permissions request letter then let me know and I can send it on to you.

Good luck

Adam.

Return to “Permissions”