Approaching a Land Owner

Please post all topics here related to the research and gaining permission to metal detect.
Pilly

Approaching a Land Owner

Post by Pilly » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:37 am

I'm curious!

When contacting a land owner for permission do you provide your...

Full name
Full address
Telephone number
Email
Memberships (Club/s)
Affilliations (NCMD) etc
References
An agreement

...or just send an email

What's your approach?

Steve_T

Re: Approaching a Land Owner

Post by Steve_T » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:19 am

I present a covering letter, a bit like a CV, it has all my details as you mention, a picture of my driving licence and all my contact details, and a picture of my NCMD membership all on an A4 sheet with information on my job and a few personal details and your reasons for wanting to detect on the land

I also have a couple of references from permissions I have, but any reference from someone who will vouch for you whom is in a recognized profession (if possible) but a reference not essential but may help.

A printed copy of the insurance from the NCMD, a printed information sheet about the NCMD, information about the PAS and the Treasure Act with contact details of the local FLO and Coroner, two copies of a Landowner / Detectorists agreement (one each for you and landowner). All seven sheets held together with a slide binder

all the details will have to be updated as and when required but if you save it on your PC it is easily done if you save the information in a file, its ready to print off when needed, but i always carry a couple of copies with me should the chance to get a permission happen at work or play

if you post or leave with anyone your are hoping to gain permission from they will see you have made an effort and not just a chancer out to make a quick buck, they hopefully wont throw it straight in the bin or back at you, and they can read it again, after no contact after a couple of weeks you can always follow it up if its not agreed on the spot.

Some landowners wont sign a contract for various reasons, I have 2 where its done on a handshake, that's because they have all my details on file and trust me.

Not everyone approach is the same, its down to what you feel comfortable with ::g

EDIT.....almost forgot, best not to mention you would like to bring some others with you to detect, not until you get to know the landowner and gauge their response to the request, the last thing some landowners want is hoards of people over their land, unless you are a club hoping to gain permission...EDIT

Regards Steve

bruno22rf

Post by bruno22rf » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:43 am

I seem to be in an enviable position where I have loads of land but no time to actually detect on it - been nearly 6 months since I bought my machine and it's yet to make it out of the house!! IMHO an email is likely to be the worst possible way of introducing yourself to a landowner - get your walking boots on, learn a little about livestock and arable crops, then go banging on doors. Without wishing to appear sexist, best results are often found by speaking to the owners wife as they seem to have more interest in history - once you have an ally in the camp you are in a better position. It can sometimes help if you ask to detect just on one small piece - do your research and find the likeliest spot for historical activity and explain this to the owner, once you gain permission for one small area, in my experience, the rest will follow. RELAX - be yourself and remember that a man trying to make an impression is the impression that he gives.

Skytriker

Post by Skytriker » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:58 am

Hello Pilly, I have just been through all of this so can tell you what I did. I sent 16 letters explaining:
who I am
my background
My interest in local history
how long I have lived in the area
insurance details
How I will operate (basically NCMD code)
that I will share all research, so they gain a better understanding of the history of their land
That I will be freely available to find contemporary items that have been lost, regardless of decision
And, as Steve T says, that I will not be joined by others, without agreement.

I requested that they reply with a brief email suggesting a time for a short meeting to discuss further

I addition to the 16 letters, I also sent the same detail in two emails. The result? Two replies to the letters; one agreeing to permission and requesting that I meet with the farmer next day, and another, very apologetic, reply informing me that the landowner was already in discussion with a group,but will keep me on file. I replied and thanked the landowner, also reminding them of my offer to find lost items.

I received a reply to both emails; one informing me they don't allow detectorists on their land and another agreeing to permission. So that's two permissions gained after one week's effort. This hit rate for responses is far higher than would be expected in a marketing campaign.

The optimum, initial, presentation is a single side A4 sheet with attention grabbing bullet points. A more detailed dossier can be presented later, if required. Most farmers are busy and won't want to wade through a lot of information in the first instance. However, it clearly works for Steve T, so take your pick. Interestingly, both landowners waived away written agreements, preferring just the handshake. All they require is a text, letting them know I will be on their land. I have also spent two days helping one of the landowners with some work he was involved in,as a thank you.

In conclusion, I would send emails in future, if an address is available, but both methods clearly work.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Roy
The harder I try the luckier I get.

Pilly

Post by Pilly » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:08 am

bruno22rf wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:43 am
I seem to be in an enviable position where I have loads of land but no time to actually detect on it - been nearly 6 months since I bought my machine and it's yet to make it out of the house!!
Thanks, Bruno, I'm your new best friend :))

oldartefact

Post by oldartefact » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:09 am

Pilly wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:37 am
I'm curious!

When contacting a land owner for permission do you provide your...

Full name
Full address
Telephone number
Email
Memberships (Club/s)
Affilliations (NCMD) etc
References
An agreement

...or just send an email

What's your approach?
Never tried it ... but a decent photo should help ... also age and experience cant go amiss.
and a stamped addressed envelope with blank sheet of paper enclosed???
Imagine there is no heaven, only sky above us.

Batman

Post by Batman » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:56 am

Hi Pilly, imho save yourself the time and effort and knock on his door, do all those you have listed and present yourself in person let him judge you by your character and appearance. In my experience this would seem a better way because he will not know you from a letter or email and I have always gone down this road and had a very good success rate on gaining permissions. I know this is not for everyone but it works for me. ::g Good luck whatever way you choose.

Skytriker

Post by Skytriker » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:02 am

bruno22rf wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:43 am
IMHO an email is likely to be the worst possible way of introducing yourself to a landowner - get your walking boots on, learn a little about livestock and arable crops, then go banging on doors.
I actually agree with you, Bruno, but as long as the email is only asking for an opportunity to introduce yourself it can clearly work. In any aspect of selling, which is what we are doing, it's vital that we put ourselves in the landowners shoes. They are faced with reps cold calling many times a week, so may not welcome an intrusion at a time when they could be preoccupied with something important. Some larger farms are very IT savvy and will prefer email - while others will prefer the direct approach. One of the two permissions I gained would have been happy with a direct approach, if Incould have found the man, while I wouldn't have got anywhere near the other one. Research is everything. Speaking to a farmworker about the best way to make an approach can pay dividends (but the farmworker could be the farmer!), or maybe talk to some locals in the pub for information. I think the key here is that there is no universal method that will work for everyone, on everyone. The most respect you can pay a landowner is to empathise with their situation and approach accordingly. One common concern is security and flytipping. I have agreed to report any suspicious activity to the farmers concerned, which went down very well.

Roy

At Digger

Post by At Digger » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:24 am

Walk drive or even cycle the area you want to get permission in that way you will see a farmer/landowner out in the fields or in farm yard.
Go in and introduced yourself, be clean dressed ( no I dont mean a suit and tie but clean and presentable ) be casual in conversation and let the landowner know its only a hobby to keep yourself active and enjoy the fresh air.
Tell him you WILL NOT BRING ALONG OTHER PEOPLE to his property and you WILL respect his property at all times by removing all the rubbish you come across.

Just ask his name and phone number, thats it NOTHING ELSE

After you get the permission then next time you meet him then you can talk bout share of finds etc.

I personally find been too official, with emails and all the ID ready gives the impression that you are looking for treasure on his land and you are a professional treasure Hunter.
Keep the conversations loose.

PS: I have NEVER been refused permission even when in an area hundreds of miles away when working in the area or on holidays.

If any person ever approached me by email looking for permission I would immediately out it into spam. Any letters go into bin.

Knock on my door in person, straight away you have a 50 % chance.

Best of luck.
When man plans, God laughs

Steve_T

Post by Steve_T » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:51 am

What gives me an advantage is I worked on the land for 20 years, and in my previous role in the business I work for was out and about meeting landowners at times, but now 100% office based.

Absolutely learn a bit about land, crops and animals, current practices have changed greatly since the time I started on the land in 1972 but basically similar

Respect for the land and its flora and fauna is a good aproach

Regards Steve

Batman

Post by Batman » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:53 am

At Digger wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:24 am
Walk drive or even cycle the area you want to get permission in that way you will see a farmer/landowner out in the fields or in farm yard.
Go in and introduced yourself, be clean dressed ( no I dont mean a suit and tie but clean and presentable ) be casual in conversation and let the landowner know its only a hobby to keep yourself active and enjoy the fresh air.
Tell him you WILL NOT BRING ALONG OTHER PEOPLE to his property and you WILL respect his property at all times by removing all the rubbish you come across.

Just ask his name and phone number, thats it NOTHING ELSE

After you get the permission then next time you meet him then you can talk bout share of finds etc.

I personally find been too official, with emails and all the ID ready gives the impression that you are looking for treasure on his land and you are a professional treasure Hunter.
Keep the conversations loose.

PS: I have NEVER been refused permission even when in an area hundreds of miles away when working in the area or on holidays.

If any person ever approached me by email looking for permission I would immediately out it into spam. Any letters go into bin.

Knock on my door in person, straight away you have a 50 % chance.

Best of luck.
I very much agree At Digger ::g

Skytriker

Post by Skytriker » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:28 pm

I mentioned earlier that I sent out 16 letters and 2 emails. I received one permssion from a letter, and another from an email. Well, out of the blue I just received a reply to another one of my letters, a month after sending them, granting me permission to detect on a massive acreage =)) This is a huge farming concern, so I doubt I would have found the person who responded had I called in.

I probably need to stop seeking permissions now!

Return to “Permissions”