National Trust

Please post all topics here related to the research and gaining finding permission to metal detect.
scoobydoo

National Trust

Post by scoobydoo » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:13 pm

Well having had no luck with the local and county councils, I thought I would give it a try with the National Trust, as you never know if you do not ask you do not get ;)

Anyway attached is the reply I got :(

Thank you for your enquiry which has been passed to this office of the National Trust. The Surrey Hills team is responsible for the care of countryside owned by the National Trust in Surrey.

Although the National Trust recognises that metal detecting is a popular and growing hobby that can help increase our understanding of the past and recognises that most metal detectorists are highly responsible we are unable to authorise metal detecting on National Trust land except in the most exceptional cases and only ever under a licence agreement issued by a National Trust Archaeologist, where it will further archaeological knowledge or protect archaeological remains.

I am sorry therefore that we are unable to help you carry out metal detecting on our land as a hobby.

With kind regards

David Kennington

David Kennington
General Manager Surrey Hills
National Trust
Surrey Hills Estate
Warren Farm Barns
Headley Lane, Mickleham, Dorking

So its back to the drawing board :-L

Minelab Etrac
W3 headphones
Chef-Phones
Ultimate 13" DD Coil
Garrett Probe.
Piranha Model 35 Lesche Digging Weapon....
FID Member

steverangerover125

Re: National Trust

Post by steverangerover125 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:32 pm

At least it was a polite no :)

Baglady

Post by Baglady » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:17 am

Well done for trying ... i have passed lots of wooded areas & as soon as i see their signs my heart sinks ...if only 8->

scoobydoo

Post by scoobydoo » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:02 pm

:( yes there is so much land that is just not being used for anything other than not letting us carryout our hobby......... So much woodland thats up for sale too....

I did ask if they had any specific reason as to why they said no and guess what the answers was NO :)) .. I have now emailed and written to Natural England so waiting for a reply from them.. So fingers crossed ;) Will keep ya posted.
Minelab Etrac
W3 headphones
Chef-Phones
Ultimate 13" DD Coil
Garrett Probe.
Piranha Model 35 Lesche Digging Weapon....
FID Member

liamnolan
Location: Hemswell, Lincolnshire. originally from Dublin, southern Ireland

Post by liamnolan » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:25 pm

Polite I agree, but predictable as well. From their side of the fence, once they say yes, it would be open hunting season and all the loonies would converge on the land. Not saying you are a looney, but you know what I mean. Would have been wiser for them (seeing as the land belongs to us anyway) to issue individual licences that could be carefully controlled. These lucky few would then monitor the situation themselves?
Hope that does not sound as if I am on their side. A classic case of easier to say NO, however polite it is put and then no need to invigorate the brain about how to administer permission.
I spent 27 years working for the government and know how these queries are handled, Liam B-)
Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and the decisions we waited too long to make .. Secretary Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS Vice President European Council for Metal Detecting

timesearch

Post by timesearch » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:37 am

This is my first post on here, having returned to metal detecting after a few years. I'm off to Dorset for a week tomorrow and was searching on here for information on Studland beach when I found this thread.

I hold a Crown Estates licence and have checked the extent of the nature reserve, which appears to lo down to the high water mark. I would therefore argue that the National Trust has no control over the beach below high water mark as it is Crown Property unless they have leased it. I'm planning to check with the crown estates office today.

I gave up metal detecting last time mainly because I was fed up of the antis who think you are digging up major finds every time you switch on. The National Trust are happy enough to have naturists on Studland beach, despite many people finding this offensive and allow industrial scale holes to be dug in the beach by children, but ban metal detecting for no better reason than because it's an easy target.

I'm a local government officer and have watched a metal detector plan being implemented within m own authority by an 'Anti' archaeologist. Previous archaeologists had been happy for licences to be issued to detect on council land, but this particular one had a down on metal detectorists and managed to get a ban implemented, despite my objecting from within the authority and others from outside.

The issue of detecting on public land is an interesting one, because it raises other issues. If you live in a council house and switch on your detector in your back garden, you are detecting on public land. You may say that is going to far, but later this summer an official dig will be taking place on a site which at the moment under council houses which are being demolished as a result of research I've done at work and I'm sure the remaining tenants will be flocking to the detector shops........

Barnet

Post by Barnet » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:17 am

If you email Ian Mills link for his email address on http://www.thecrownestate.co.uk/metal-detecting and ask for a much more detailed map of the area you are interested in he will send one back, he is pretty quick to respond as well.

[:)
/Barnet aka Steve

Minelab e-trac / Teknetics T2 SE

timesearch

Post by timesearch » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:20 am

Thanks Steve,
I've just emailed Iain Mills and got an out of office reply until Monday, but when I hear from him I'll let you know what he says. This is what I've actually asked him.

Good morning,

I've recently downloaded a Crown Estates licence and will be on leave in Dorset for the next week. Could you please clarify the situation regarding Studland Beach? The area of National Trust land seems to co-incide with the extent of the nature reserve, down to high water mark, but what is the situation at that point below high water? Is Crown Estates ownership of the foreshore leased to the National Trust, or still in hand.

Yours sincerely,

John Stokes

fv1620

Post by fv1620 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:10 am

Some 25 years ago I went detecting on Studland Beach totally unaware of any restrictions. I was delighted to find that it was very profitable. I only realised why once I had come off the beach & my wife pointed out a notice forbidding the activity.

So all that plunder went into the NT collecting box! Should I have done that or thrown the catch back where I had found it? So overall I like to think the Trust benefited from ill conceived activities.

As a member & supporter of the NT I was happy to do that. I would be quite happy to legally hunt the beach & hand it over to help the Trust in its work. It is the seeking out & collecting of the money that is fun & handing it over if it is for a good cause that's fine with me.
Minelab CTX3030
Garret Seahunter Mk 2
C-Scope VLF100

jcripps

Post by jcripps » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:13 am

I hate to say it, but National Trust DO lease Studland from the Crown, so they have the final say so. The RSPB also lease a good percentage of the west of Poole Harbour, but as far as i know a small section called Shell Bay is ok to detect on.

Hope this helps.
Winning when Swinging

Minelab Excalibur II
Garrett Pro Pointer
Garden Trowel (need to get a spade!!)
Long handled sand scoop

timesearch

Post by timesearch » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:47 pm

Hi Jade, Thanks for the information. I seem to remember Shell Beach is the bit near the chain ferry, am I right? I'm actually staying at Swanage and have sorted out what I need to do there to detect legally, but I seem to remember reading something years ago about part of Poole harbour near the caravan site on the mainland side being good for roman coins etc. This whole Crown Estate business seems to be a minefield. I've read on various sites that people have used metal detectors in Lulworth cove, but I had a 'Discussion' with someone from there a few years ago about the possible illegality of their no detecting sign.

I've got back into metal detecting mainly to work with archaeologists on three digs this year on sites I've researched, but I still want to be able to play on the beach when I wake up at 5 in the morning. As I said in a previous post, I gave up last time because I got fed up of antis. The problem with these people is that they seem to think that as soon as you switch on your detector you are finding valuables or destroying archaeological sites. Any regulars on this forum will know that good sites are found through research and that the chances of finding anything of interest is directly proportionate to the time spent on research and good technique in the field, even with the most advanced detectors.

I live within four miles of where the Staffordshire Hoard was found and know the guy who found it slightly as he was a member of a club I used to be in. He has been detecting for years, but I found a story online the other day about someone in Scotland who had just bought a detector, switched it on and found a hoard of gold torcs, so luck does play a part in hitting the big time, but with the price of scrap metal rising those ring pulls might become treasure soon :D

timesearch

Post by timesearch » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:47 pm

Hi Jade, Thanks for the information. I seem to remember Shell Beach is the bit near the chain ferry, am I right? I'm actually staying at Swanage and have sorted out what I need to do there to detect legally, but I seem to remember reading something years ago about part of Poole harbour near the caravan site on the mainland side being good for roman coins etc. This whole Crown Estate business seems to be a minefield. I've read on various sites that people have used metal detectors in Lulworth cove, but I had a 'Discussion' with someone from there a few years ago about the possible illegality of their no detecting sign.

I've got back into metal detecting mainly to work with archaeologists on three digs this year on sites I've researched, but I still want to be able to play on the beach when I wake up at 5 in the morning. As I said in a previous post, I gave up last time because I got fed up of antis. The problem with these people is that they seem to think that as soon as you switch on your detector you are finding valuables or destroying archaeological sites. Any regulars on this forum will know that good sites are found through research and that the chances of finding anything of interest is directly proportionate to the time spent on research and good technique in the field, even with the most advanced detectors.

I live within four miles of where the Staffordshire Hoard was found and know the guy who found it slightly as he was a member of a club I used to be in. He has been detecting for years, but I found a story online the other day about someone in Scotland who had just bought a detector, switched it on and found a hoard of gold torcs, so luck does play a part in hitting the big time, but with the price of scrap metal rising those ring pulls might become treasure soon :D

timesearch

Re:Studland Beach

Post by timesearch » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:35 pm

I've had a reply from Iain Mills confirming that the NT also owns the foreshore and Shell Bay, so it's all no go. As an NT member I might feel the urge to go to the AGM and why there is a ban. I can see the point if I wanted to detect somewhere like Corfe Castle, but not on beaches where the public are allowed. I feel strongly that if I have to put up with naturists, dog faeces all over the place and galloping horses, the sight of a metal detectorist should be the least of their worries.

On the subject of 'Crown' foreshore, I'd also like someone to explain how a family with no genetic link to the original inhabitants can lay claim to anything in the way of land, especially the next incumbent in line who is half Greek and a fair bit German but lays claim to half of Cornwall....

mrcheeky

Post by mrcheeky » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:44 am

Maybe ask the national trust to join this forum and come in n have a look around and that we are only trying to help discover history . they might change there minds then x;

oldartefact

Post by oldartefact » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:23 pm

scoobydoo wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:13 pm
Well having had no luck with the local and county councils, I thought I would give it a try with the National Trust, as you never know if you do not ask you do not get ;)

Anyway attached is the reply I got :(

Thank you for your enquiry which has been passed to this office of the National Trust. The Surrey Hills team is responsible for the care of countryside owned by the National Trust in Surrey.

Although the National Trust recognises that metal detecting is a popular and growing hobby that can help increase our understanding of the past and recognises that most metal detectorists are highly responsible we are unable to authorise metal detecting on National Trust land except in the most exceptional cases and only ever under a licence agreement issued by a National Trust Archaeologist, where it will further archaeological knowledge or protect archaeological remains.

I am sorry therefore that we are unable to help you carry out metal detecting on our land as a hobby.

With kind regards

David Kennington

David Kennington
General Manager Surrey Hills
National Trust
Surrey Hills Estate
Warren Farm Barns
Headley Lane, Mickleham, Dorking

So its back to the drawing board :-L
Well it was worth a go... if you dont push the boundaries, no one else will do it for you.. l;.
Imagine there is no heaven, only sky above us.

Stillburning

Re: Re:Studland Beach

Post by Stillburning » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:19 pm

timesearch wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:35 pm
I've had a reply from Iain Mills confirming that the NT also owns the foreshore and Shell Bay, so it's all no go. As an NT member I might feel the urge to go to the AGM and why there is a ban. I can see the point if I wanted to detect somewhere like Corfe Castle, but not on beaches where the public are allowed. I feel strongly that if I have to put up with naturists, dog faeces all over the place and galloping horses, the sight of a metal detectorist should be the least of their worries.

On the subject of 'Crown' foreshore, I'd also like someone to explain how a family with no genetic link to the original inhabitants can lay claim to anything in the way of land, especially the next incumbent in line who is half Greek and a fair bit German but lays claim to half of Cornwall....
I'm a long time member of NT and whilst I can understand (if not completely agree with) the policy of not detecting on farm land it makes no sense to ban detecting on beaches.

On Saturday I spent the morning detecting on Barafundle bay which is NT, nothing to say no detecting, I dug very few holes (not even much litter there!) which I filled in - but there were large holes that families had dug.

I have to say that during a weekend away my enjoyment was spoilt by muddy dogs not under control jumping up and saying hello and trying to nick my sandwiches. I'm not anti dog but expect dogs in public to be under voice control or on a lead, and why to the owners that do pick up the excrement (saw plenty conveniantly looking the other way when the dog is curling one out) feel that is ok to then leave plastic bags of the stuff lying around.

I cant see anything ever being done about the dogs but the detecting, maybe, not sure how many detectorists are members of NT but last year less than 1% of the membership voted to ban trail hunting, despite a big campaign to encourage the ban.

Whilst I'm on my soapbox I also think the Forestry Commission should allow detecting, compared to the impact of forestry operations (responsible) detecting should not be a problem, and in many years of dealing of them we were always told we had to consider the involvement of the wider public when creating/managing existing private woodlands. B| :D
I'm still burning you'll never put the spark out in my soul

Return to “Permissions Forum”