Roman Site - Building the Picture

Please post all topics here related to the research and gaining permission to metal detect.
Core

Roman Site - Building the Picture

Post by Core » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:35 pm

Hi,
Earlier this week I discovered a lot of Roman pottery on one of my fields, lots of red pottery and a few darker pieces of pottery. I was only on there for a very short time and in 15 minutes I had 3 Roman coins. The next session I had 25 Roman coins in 3.5 hours. The next evening I had 11 Roman coins, some bronze pieces and 1 brooch.
So far all the coins have been small worn bronzes and a couple of Sestertius.
There have been very little modern items and 2 hammered's came up in the last session also.
I've detected what seems to be a largeish iron section in the middle of the field. I would estimate the size to be around 100 meters by 40 meters but it's hard to work it out exactly.
The field is around 40 acres in total and in these 3 sessions I've covered a lot of ground, not particularly working a single area so the coins seem to be all over.
I've looked at Google Earth satellite images, scrolled through them historically and I can't really make out any obvious field marks or structure.
Most of the pottery shards seem to be in one particular section of the field about 30 meters away from the large iron structure.
This is the first Roman field I've ever had so any advice on what may have existed here would be a great help.
I know in the nearby area (around a mile away) there are some fields with villa sites and around 1.5 miles away there is a well known Roman site.
I can't wait to get on the field again and see what turns up next.
Thanks,
Core
Last edited by Core on Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A bird with no feet sleeps on the wind

Steve_T

Re: Roman Site - How to Build a Picture

Post by Steve_T » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:51 pm

Hopefully you have the find spots GPS marked, a pattern will emerge, also for recording purposes

You can download this info if you have it captured on to Google Earth

Regards Steve
-----------------------------------------------(ooooooooo)-------------------------------------------------
Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value.

Albert Einstein

Core

Re: Roman Site - Building the Picture

Post by Core » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:53 pm

The first few sessions I had no idea just how much I would find but I'm taking a dedicated GPS tracker out with me everytime I'm on the site now.

shaggybfc

Post by shaggybfc » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:13 pm

Core wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:35 pm
I've detected what seems to be a largeish iron section in the middle of the field. I would estimate the size to be around 100 meters by 40 meters but it's hard to work it out exactly.
Hi Core,
are you saying that there's an solid object that you believe is made of iron, measuring approximately 100m x 40m in the field?

Is there a know Roman fort near by - you could be on one of the vicus - extramural settlement sites? your machine could be picking up burned remains of a building? but what you have would be a big building.

::g

What you need to do is invite me to spend a week helping you search the site B-) :))

Andi
XP Deus, 11" X35 coil, WS4 back-phones, remote and an empty bank balance. Garrett Ace 250.
Make a list of things that make you happy. Make a list of things you do every day. Compare and Adjust.

Quoin

Post by Quoin » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:56 pm

The high status pottery might be from a villa or shrine. If so you can detect it for a few years and still be winkling stuff out but better check that it's not scheduled first.

Core

Post by Core » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:04 pm

shaggybfc wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:13 pm
Core wrote:
Hi Core,
are you saying that there's an solid object that you believe is made of iron, measuring approximately 100m x 40m in the field?

Is there a know Roman fort near by - you could be on one of the vicus - extramural settlement sites? your machine could be picking up burned remains of a building? but what you have would be a big building.

What you need to do is invite me to spend a week helping you search the site B-) :))

Andi
Hi Amdi,

I get a lot of iron feedback on a section of the field that measures around that in length. I'll know better with my GPS plotting which I intend to start this evening! I don't know of a fort site nearby but will start to search online. Definitely villas!

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:06 pm

Well done, that field should keep your interest for a while. ::g
Deus V4.1, 11" coil, 9" HF coil & Garrett Carrot. %)=
White's TDI SL

shaggybfc

Post by shaggybfc » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:19 pm

Core wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:04 pm
shaggybfc wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:13 pm
Core wrote:
Hi Core,

Andi
Hi Amdi,

I get a lot of iron feedback on a section of the field that measures around that in length. I'll know better with my GPS plotting which I intend to start this evening! I don't know of a fort site nearby but will start to search online. Definitely villas!
you're going to have to dig some of that iron signal to see what it is.

Good luck, keep us posted to what you find - don't forget the photos. ::g ::g
XP Deus, 11" X35 coil, WS4 back-phones, remote and an empty bank balance. Garrett Ace 250.
Make a list of things that make you happy. Make a list of things you do every day. Compare and Adjust.

Steve_T

Post by Steve_T » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:36 pm

Magic is a good resource for checking scheduled SAMS and areas that are know and documented

Here's a link http://www.magic.gov.uk/MagicMap.aspx if you don't have it yet it is usefull to see what is close by to what you have and perhaps see something, don't forget Lidar, thats a useful resource too

Scheduled is in the Designations tab on the left, it doesn't take long to work out how to use the tabs, sounds like you have a great site don't forget to post your finds up on here

Regards Steve
-----------------------------------------------(ooooooooo)-------------------------------------------------
Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value.

Albert Einstein

daytrader12

Post by daytrader12 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:47 pm

Good Luck
I would agree, Take your time, be patient & dig the iron signals on any hotspots, its easy to get carried away when so many good targets are coming up.
AKA Sorex Pro.

Hairyhands

Post by Hairyhands » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:44 pm

I too have found a Roman site. 75 bronze coins in 18 hours so far. Weirdly not much artifacts apart from 4 brooches

Core

Post by Core » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:59 pm

Thanks all, good advice! Did another 2.5 hours this eve and another 11 coins including 1 silver Denari :-)
So far 51 coins in about 8.5 hours so looking good. Only 1 brooch and a few small bronze pieces.

Core

Post by Core » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:33 pm

Some pottery I picked up off the site this eve.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fred

Post by fred » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:19 am

Well done. Some Roman sites are very irony indeed. This may be from any of the causes already suggested or even industrial use like metalworking. It sounds as though you have a good spread of coins too so possibly a long occupation. The iron is a swine to deal with but should ensure that you will be winkling out coins for years to come! :D
Equinox 800 x2
CTX x2
Explorer II (for the Thames)

Core

Post by Core » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:01 am

fred wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:19 am
Well done. Some Roman sites are very irony indeed. This may be from any of the causes already suggested or even industrial use like metalworking. It sounds as though you have a good spread of coins too so possibly a long occupation. The iron is a swine to deal with but should ensure that you will be winkling out coins for years to come! :D
Thanks Fred. The iron hasn't been bugging me too much just yet but maybe I'm not realising how much it's masking signals. Regardless the coins are coming up so happy days. I do get the feeling I'm not getting much depth on there with the smaller coins. Can anyone advise on whether they think my settings could be sharpened some?

17Khz
Reactivity 3
GB Manual - 87
Audio Response - 4
Sensitivity - 93

Core

Post by Core » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:55 pm

Well today was my first full session on my new Roman field, I did 7 hours without a break. I had a jetton, hammie, 47 Roman coins and a fair few artifacts. I'm pretty sure the rolled lead is a curse tablet. There's a steelyard weight, bracelet pieces, brooch and some other pieces, also some greyware. To be fair I need to get a few bits ID'd but I may leave it all for my FLO. Enjoy the pics. If I go out tomorrow my other half will leave me so that's I've had 95 Roman coins off of this field in the last week and 3 the week before.Only 1 Denari so far (earlier this week) but hopefully there will be more.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Core on Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:09 am, edited 7 times in total.

Core

Post by Core » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:56 pm

The first bracelet piece I found.
Last edited by Core on Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Allectus

Post by Allectus » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:59 pm

Roman Amphora shaped strap-end & a very nice one too! ::g

A ;)
British by Birth - English by the Grace Of God.

Core

Post by Core » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:01 pm

Allectus wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:59 pm
Roman Amphora shaped strap-end & a very nice one too! ::g

A ;)
Thanks A, I did think strap end but wasn't quite sure as they are new to me!

Core

Post by Core » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:00 pm

36 coins and 2 brooches today. The field is still producing. Going to continue with the Deus 11" until finds become scarce then switch to the HF Elliptical.

alloverover

Post by alloverover » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:13 pm

Nice going Core, had pretty much the same today from a Roman site ive been working for years ::g 38 Roman, 2 brooches, a bronze Celt and various other bits, keep itup mate ::g ::g

Core

Post by Core » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:17 pm

alloverover wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:13 pm
Nice going Core, had pretty much the same today from a Roman site ive been working for years ::g 38 Roman, 2 brooches, a bronze Celt and various other bits, keep itup mate ::g ::g
That's great news, well done. I keep expecting this field to dry up. Maybe it'll be this way for a long time to come!

Return to “Permissions”