Still waiting

Please post all topics here related to the research and gaining permission to metal detect.
Post Reply
BigDan
Posts: 109
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:25 am
Has thanked: 88 times
Been thanked: 49 times

Still waiting

Post by BigDan » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:44 pm

I’ve sent out about 10 letters in the past two weeks to various farms in my area trying to get my first permission.

I have had replies from three so far, two stating that the land has been done to death over the past 20 years and the third saying that they are metal detectorists themselves.

I have another twelve to go in the post tomorrow.

There is only so many group digs costing £15-20 I can afford to do.

Every field I drive past I just want to get out.

I think I’ve got the bug now. x;



sweepstick47
Moderator
Posts: 7074
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:21 pm
Location: North Lincolnshire
Has thanked: 695 times
Been thanked: 1220 times

Re: Still waiting

Post by sweepstick47 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:00 pm

Hello 'BigDan', Your's is a common malady which can only be eased by the receipt of a favourable reply......or two 8-| Good Luck - Regards ss47 ::g
Arado 130 - Garrett Groundhog - Tesoro Eldorado - Fisher 1265X - Goldmax Power Makro Racer. Homemade Harness!

jcmaloney
Posts: 2025
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:17 am
Has thanked: 447 times
Been thanked: 268 times

Re: Still waiting

Post by jcmaloney » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:23 pm

BigDan wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:44 pm
I’ve sent out about 10 letters in the past two weeks to various farms in my area trying to get my first permission.

I have had replies from three so far, two stating that the land has been done to death over the past 20 years and the third saying that they are metal detectorists themselves.

I have another twelve to go in the post tomorrow.

There is only so many group digs costing £15-20 I can afford to do.

Every field I drive past I just want to get out.

I think I’ve got the bug now. x;
No such thing. I would go for those ones.... ::g
Opinions expressed on MY posts are mine and NOT those of any democratic organisation I volunteer for. ::g

User avatar
Lowland
Posts: 2839
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:18 am
Location: scottish middle march
Has thanked: 2428 times
Been thanked: 1349 times
Contact:

Re: Still waiting

Post by Lowland » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:35 pm

jcmaloney wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:23 pm
BigDan wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:44 pm
I’ve sent out about 10 letters in the past two weeks to various farms in my area trying to get my first permission.

I have had replies from three so far, two stating that the land has been done to death over the past 20 years and the third saying that they are metal detectorists themselves.

I have another twelve to go in the post tomorrow.

There is only so many group digs costing £15-20 I can afford to do.

Every field I drive past I just want to get out.

I think I’ve got the bug now. x;

No such thing. I would go for those ones.... ::g
Done to death sounds like a challenge to me
::g
ne’er scald yer mou wi ither folks kale

jcmaloney
Posts: 2025
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:17 am
Has thanked: 447 times
Been thanked: 268 times

Re: Still waiting

Post by jcmaloney » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:51 pm

It also shows that the landowner isn`t adverse to allowing detecting.
Likewise they won`t have covered it all in 20 years, the machines improve, the way they farm changes etc etc etc.

I would be on it like a rash! =)) ::g
Opinions expressed on MY posts are mine and NOT those of any democratic organisation I volunteer for. ::g

Ladybird66
Posts: 465
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:03 pm
Has thanked: 111 times
Been thanked: 291 times

Re: Still waiting

Post by Ladybird66 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:07 pm

I know it’s not easy but the face to face method can be more rewarding.
If you get the business telephone book, look for Farmers. Likewise get google earth up of your area and put ‘farms’ into the search box. If you click on them they mostly have the name, address and contact details.
I know from experience it’s dificult to get hold of them, especially at this time of year. I’ve found lunch time about the best time. (Or you could phone in the evening, not too late.)
As always, be polite, apologise for inconvenience and ask if he’s got a field you could potter in with your detector. Don’t go into too much detail, the guy wants to eat his bacon sarnie. If he gives excuses ask if you can try again later in the year and leave your details, or one of your letters, with him.
Letters are so impersonal, you know within a minute if you like the look of someone. Like the rest of us you’ll probably get a few refusals but you only want one to say yes.
Best of luck.

User avatar
oldartefact
Posts: 7056
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:31 am
Location: Gods own county - numero uno!
Has thanked: 1004 times
Been thanked: 815 times

Re: Still waiting

Post by oldartefact » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:03 pm

Ladybird66 wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:07 pm
I know it’s not easy but the face to face method can be more rewarding.
If you get the business telephone book, look for Farmers. Likewise get google earth up of your area and put ‘farms’ into the search box. If you click on them they mostly have the name, address and contact details.
I know from experience it’s dificult to get hold of them, especially at this time of year. I’ve found lunch time about the best time. (Or you could phone in the evening, not too late.)
As always, be polite, apologise for inconvenience and ask if he’s got a field you could potter in with your detector. Don’t go into too much detail, the guy wants to eat his bacon sarnie. If he gives excuses ask if you can try again later in the year and leave your details, or one of your letters, with him.
Letters are so impersonal, you know within a minute if you like the look of someone. Like the rest of us you’ll probably get a few refusals but you only want one to say yes.
Best of luck.
Whether face 2 face or via letter getting permissions is always a tough one.... picking up on your point about liking the look of someone, I guess a photo included with the letter, and even a reference from a current permission will increase probability of success ... so long as one isn't a Fred or Rose West look-a-like :) :) :) :)
Imagine there is no heaven, only sky above us.

BigDan
Posts: 109
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:25 am
Has thanked: 88 times
Been thanked: 49 times

Re: Still waiting

Post by BigDan » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:54 pm

Thanks for the input guys.

I know I’ll make a breakthrough soon.

Until then I’ve got a couple of clubs I can go with.

Ladybird66
Posts: 465
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:03 pm
Has thanked: 111 times
Been thanked: 291 times

Re: Still waiting

Post by Ladybird66 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:57 pm

Keep at it Dan. I’m sure sooner or later you’ll get a permission. Good luck ::g

Post Reply

Return to “Permissions”