help with permission

Please post all topics here related to the research and gaining permission to metal detect.
gavin barker

help with permission

Post by gavin barker » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:32 pm

can anybody around Cambridge"shire, can anybody help with anywere around here to detect ive knocked on about a million farmers doors even offered few quid to let me go on land for the day but nothing, anybody no anywere I could go give a knock on the door to would really appreciate it ::g

f8met

Re: help with permission

Post by f8met » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:49 pm

Where in Cambridgeshire are you? There are a couple of options of pay digs, Central Searchers, A1 searchers are advertising a dig and pink wellies are not too far away if you want to pay, otherwise you just need to keep contacting the farms. Maybe have a look to see if there is anything you can improve with your approach, dress smart, have a bit of a practised script.

Maybe an email or letter is an option. Works for some where as knocking on doors works for others.

If you want to meet like minded people there are a couple of clubs in Cambridgeshire, one in South Cambridge and one in St Neots but neither have club land.

Good luck.
Dave
Deus, 9" and 11" black coil
2018 52 Hammered

Timmy 64

Post by Timmy 64 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:00 pm

It could be that the big metal detecting club do pay big money so you might be small fry so the farmers might not be interested.but good luck with hunting new permissions. ::g

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:32 pm

Offering the farmers "a few quid" is not really worth it. Most farms these days are large and more "agri-businesses", often with hundreds of thousands pound (and sometimes million) turnovers, so "a few quid" will make no difference.

The odd smaller farmer that might be interested in a bit of extra income will through the farming press and word of mouth be aware of the big groups that pay to detect, and that they want "undetected land". If he is considering these at say 100 detectorists at £10 each generating £1,000 he is not going to put that at risk by letting one person on for say £10.

The vast bulk of farmers are also shrewd, if you offer them £10 they will suspect that you think you might find something worth more than £10, so why should they let you make a profit from there land?.

Also a lot of land is under various schemes, eg the Countryside Stewardhsip scheme, that bans metal detecting on a lot of land so even if the farmer was in theory willing to allow detecting he can not.

Basically farmers are in 3 groups regarding detectorist.
1) NO. Then will give a list of reasons why. Sadly a large group.
2) Maybe. A small group. They will be swung one way or the other by the first impression you make when you knock on the door. Look tidy, be polite and say a little bit about yourself and explain why you would like to detect (but be brief as they do not want to waste time) and you might get lucky; when they answer the door just say "Oh Mister can I detect your ground" and the anwser will be a firm "No".
3). Yes. Another small group. Unless they have have a valid reason such as other detectorists already, or a scheme they are in banning it, then you are lucky.

Evan

gavin barker

Post by gavin barker » Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:01 pm

thanks everyone for your help ill keep trying fingers crossed lol i had £500 in my hand they stil said no lol but someone might i wont give up

garrettoldboy

Post by garrettoldboy » Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:12 pm

hello, you can detectect on my permission for £500 ::g

diggerdave1

Post by diggerdave1 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:19 pm

And Mine!!! ::g :D

PeakDetectorist

Post by PeakDetectorist » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:28 pm

£400 and I’ll find some fields 😂
XP Deus with various coils

geoman

Post by geoman » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:37 pm

Paying is often an unwise move with farmers thinking that if you are willing to pay then you are expecting to make a profit out of it.

If you pay all you are doing is paying to detect and not to keep anything you find which still belongs to the landowner. That is the tricky one so probably best to just seek permission to use a metal detector and agree to bring all finds to look at and let the landowner decide what they want to do with them.

Still you need to get a permission and being honest is a better way forward than seemingly wanting to make a profit from a payment. After all they dont realise that you are only wanting somewhere to detect. The farming press and forums have been full of detecting stories over the years so dont insult them by appearing to be wanting to make money out of them.

Good luck.

Return to “Permissions”