Best way to get permission

Please post all topics here related to the research and gaining finding permission to metal detect.
Phil_M1

Best way to get permission

Post by Phil_M1 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:44 pm

Hi I live in northwest ireland uk. New to this and don't know what the best way is to approach farmers or get permission. Knocking on doors or phone calls a lot of numbers in yellow pages. Any advice would be great.

Bunglebern

Re: Best way to get permission

Post by Bunglebern » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:40 pm

I posted via Facebook on a selling site, I've just managed to get a pasture of 8 acres via someone I know through it.

Phil_M1

Post by Phil_M1 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:41 pm

Unfortunately can't find any local farmers on Facebook, but I have found some phone numbers for farmers in yellow pages. Would it be recommended to give them a ring for permission?

Bors

Post by Bors » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:57 pm

Go to the Farm and knock on the door is the better option. At first its daunting and takes all your courage mustered, but once you`ve done it a few times it becomes easier. Phoning them up can often mean their not in as their out in the fields or Milking and you just don`t get the Job done. If you go to the Farm at least your in with a shout of meeting the Farmer and telling him what you want. But I always think writing or E mailing or even Phoning is not a good option as its too easy for them to say no. EXPECT some knock backs but you will as the law of average permits, drop lucky eventually .
Last edited by Bors on Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Blackadder43

Post by Blackadder43 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:00 pm

You dont need to actually find local farmers on facebook
I think what the other poster meant was find your local facebook selling page, almost every town or area has one, then post on there asking if anyone has any land where they wouldnt mind you using your detector
You wil find people like horse owners etc, smallholdings
Farms you are better off taking a drive out one day and seeing what you can find farm wise and try to find the farmer and introduce yourself and ask direct

Failing that google maps will give you the name of the farms and google search will give you their address and post them off a letter. A template is in this forum somewhere to use
When you are right no one remembers; when you are wrong no one forgets

targets

Post by targets » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:32 pm

drop by where you see signs for spuds on sale and buy a bag and casually mention in the conversation you looking for land to search
' hammys how i love ya, how i love ya my dear old hammys '

Phil_M1

Post by Phil_M1 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:45 pm

Yes it is daunting driving up the farmers lane to be knocked down. What is the best approach?. " hi I do I bit of metal detecting do u mind if I go in the fields?"

littleboot

Post by littleboot » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:49 pm

Get a woman to do it. :D
Equinox 600, GMP, wellies.

lonecoiler

Post by lonecoiler » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:02 pm

Always best face to face. Take an info pack with you. Include: who you are, how you can be contacted, a copy of the Treasure Act with relevant bits highlighted. Mention your membership of NCMD or FID and emphasise that you carry insurance from them and include the codes of practice. If they knock you back ask if you can leave the pack with them, they may change their minds.
Good luck
Garrett Ace 250 with NEL Tornado coil.
C.Scope CS4PI

So many fields, so few permissions

Phil_M1

Post by Phil_M1 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:18 pm

Thanks for the advice. Will have to try it in the next few days. Not yet a member of ncmd or fid don't know if they cover northern ireland

Phil_M1

Post by Phil_M1 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:14 pm

As far as I know the crown estate rules applies to the foreshores here also in the north as we r in the UK. And private land requires permission. Stay away from monuments etc...

Bors

Post by Bors » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:56 pm

Phil_M1 wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:45 pm
Yes it is daunting driving up the farmers lane to be knocked down. What is the best approach?. " hi I do I bit of metal detecting do u mind if I go in the fields?"
We`ve all been there , & wore the "T" shirt Phil.

Like I said swallow the bitter pill and go to the farm and knock the door.
One of my cunning plans is to start off by throwing a bit of flattering bullpoo at him ,such as .."hi my names Phil and I`m a detectorist interested in Medieval history and I read somewhere a while ago there was a great deal of ancient history going on near or on your farm in the medieval times .Apparently King Edward the 3rd had a horse convoy of Gold attacked nearby and it was reputedly stashed by the bandits but never heard of again , I was wondering it I could have your kind permission to have a few days looking with my detector around a couple of your fields suitable to your choice of course.Anything of such items would be shared by both of us of course.
Now the word Gold will make him sit up and take note as most Farmers won`t turn down a Tasty bit of Gold when they think its possibly going to come their way =))

If he bites your in, If he says no, Just say, " Ok thanks for taking the time to listen to me I appreciate it , " and depart. Some times it works other times It doesn`t.
Hey I`ve had Two short words said to me before now and threatened with a very unsociable Border type Collie who took great delight in curling his top lip & barring his gnashers at me continually.. x;
Just use your imagination and plan your meet ,if it materialises so to speak .
Oh I just remembered I had a jack Russell nipping my at ankle one day all the way out to the Yard gate - it hurt too.

Phil_M1

Post by Phil_M1 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:17 pm

Lol very good. Will do my best

Bors

Post by Bors » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:24 pm

Remember ,.....he who dares .

liamnolan
Location: Hemswell, Lincolnshire. originally from Dublin, southern Ireland

Post by liamnolan » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:03 am

Re getting a permission, had to laugh at Littleboot =)) but Jan is right, ladies to tend to have more courage to walk up and knock on a door and they have the charm to follow that up.
Face to face is by far the best way to go. I know its daunting but the farmer will want to weigh you up and that determination on your part in making the approach will be noted. One thing, personally I have found it easier to wait a while until someone is moving about outside the house and then make an approach. People (me included) don't like door knockers and by the time I open the door I am ready to say no to anything. Even if you don't succeed the first time you will walk away feeling better that you have at least made an effort and the longer you carry on talking the more chance you have. Good luck with your detecting Phil, I get over to the south on business a few times each year, Belfast is on the agenda for late summer as well, good to have you on the forum and let us know how you get on with that all important first permission. The farmers all know each other and once you get just one YES, then you are connected in some way to everyone else. Plenty of good tips in the Permissions section, but face to face will be your best bet, wear normal clothes, not posh, no camo, if you can offer something in return then you are way ahead of the game. Plumber, electrician, mechanic whatever it is, if you think it may be useful then make that known. Its worked well for me, I have strung tennis and squash rackets for every world class player for the past 25 years and most families ave someone swinging a racket ::g Liam :;@
Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and the decisions we waited too long to make .. Secretary Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS Vice President European Council for Metal Detecting

Phil_M1

Post by Phil_M1 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:49 am

Valuable information Liam. A lot of the farms here have a long drive up a lane to the house or yard it's hard to gauge is any1 is about. Will just have to drive up and see. On the topic of the south has anything changed? Or is it still the same more or else illegal unless with excavation license which you will never get anyway

liamnolan

Post by liamnolan » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:10 pm

Hi Phil, I am sure you will use your tact and detective skills to get the right time and place to secure that permission. Re the south, its a complicated mess that has not been helped by the fact that the legislation re detecting is drafted by those senior archaeologists who have zero appetite for any positive change. Lots happening behind the scenes at present, but the changes will come and then we can get back to a similar level of detecting freedoms as in the UK! The IMDS is lobbying hard at many levels and much good work is being done in Brussels.
All the best, Liam :;@
PS - you live in a beautiful part of Ireland. When I was out with the lads a while back in Wicklow, the scenery around us was outstanding, so easy to take it all for granted. The IMDS crowd are a brilliant lot and they know how to detect, an honour to get out with them. I am from Dublin originally, slowly moving back though ..
Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and the decisions we waited too long to make .. Secretary Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS Vice President European Council for Metal Detecting

tcawood

Post by tcawood » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:24 pm

If the farm in question has another business, e.g. farm shop, caravan park, fishing lakes etc... Then they'll often have a website and email address... Most of my permissions have come from that route...
Rutus Alter 71, Equinox 600, Makro Pinpointer, Spartan Spade
YouTube - tcDetects

liamnolan

Post by liamnolan » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:32 pm

oldartefact early on posted that it was against the law to "intentionally search for historic items" in Northern Ireland. I then replied that was not the case and that the restriction applied only to the south. I have today made contact with the Irish detecting community on both sides of the border.
The wording in the NI legislation is obscure and is in contrast to what actually is allowed to happen. There are clubs in the north and they hold rallies and they enjoy the hobby, plus they hand in their finds as we do and they get recorded and so on. They say restrictions on detecting are aimed at scheduled sites which is understandable. However, OA is correct in that although there is a very liberal and understanding acceptance of metal detecting, plus a positive relationship with the local museums and archaeologists, in the small print there is still the same caveat that states it is an offence to INTENTIONALLY search for historic items. In the south its enforced and in the north its treated in a better way. We have lots of NI members on here, this is just one good find - viewtopic.php?f=121&t=89737&hilit=Les+brooch Les went out detecting, found this beautiful brooch and was well received by the archaeologists and the local museum. That demonstrated really positive partnership and trust.
I will do some formal checks this coming week and report back but in the meantime, thanks to OA I have discovered that its a good idea to read the small print, Liam OooO

Phil_M1

Post by Phil_M1 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:15 pm

Got my first permission on a piece of serious real estate with a lot of local history attached. Permission verbal only old school farmer. Went for an hour today

I have attached the pic. Would I be right in saying these are musket balls? Non magnetic and different sizes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

FUBAR

Post by FUBAR » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:22 pm

Knock on doors. Face to face with the landowner. ::g ::g

liamnolan

Post by liamnolan » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:41 pm

Hi Phil, well done on getting that permission, face to face does work ::g Re the finds, yes they are musket balls and you will soon have a large collection. Best to make a ID Request in the Finds ID section and with all the right info, get the pics head on and not at a slant if possible. All the very best, Liam :;@

Phil_M1

Post by Phil_M1 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:48 pm

Will use the finds I'd section. Thanks for all the advice. I will concentrate on this permission before looking for anymore.

Phil_M1

Post by Phil_M1 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:34 pm

Is it advisable to get farmers home numbers off Google and yell? Then just ring around until I get a yes??? Any advise?

Pete E

Post by Pete E » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:25 pm

I used to do a lot of shooting, so know the difficulties around getting permission and have tried many different ways over the years...

Personally I think it's best to either visit or network through friends ect. When you visit, look presentable and remember you are in effect being judged/weighed up..

One thing that really helps is a business card with your contact details on that you can give out rather than writing stuff on scraps of paper...

If you have a child, I would say take them along and emphasize the family angle to your request...
Makro Racer 2
Makro Pinpointer

Return to “Permissions Forum”