Crop harvesting order

Please post all topics here related to the research and gaining finding permission to metal detect.
Oxgirl36

Crop harvesting order

Post by Oxgirl36 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:52 am

We have all been bemoaning the dry pasture but have taken heart that the grass cutting season has begun in earnest. I noticed on Facebook yesterday that Julian from Treasure Hunting magazine (thankfully on the road to recovery following his recent heart attack) has listed the order of harvesting of crops in a typical cereal farm permission. So here it is for those that don’t know it is...
(Updated - thanks Drustan)

Hay
Winter barley
Oilseed rape (OSR)
Spring barley
Peas
Winter wheat
Beans

If you are looking for additional permissions it’s good to get a few grass fields on your list. I’ve only ever had one hay field, until this year, and it was heavy clay soil so impossible to dig in the summer. This year I have over 100 acres of hay fields to swing my coil :D . It is saving my sanity right now.

So I thought a list of typical crop harvesting months and the order of harvesting might be a useful in the permissions section.I’ll find a way to present the data in some semblance of order later ::g

I fully recognise the weather has a big bearing on exactly when things are harvested but this is a rough guide that should be useful.

So no idea about other crops except that main crop potatoes are harvested late September to (mainly) October. Maize is October too.

Carpe vinum

XP Deus !!£$ I use the HOT programme on 17khz, reactivity at 2.5 on v5.21 with the X35 11” coil

Hammered silver 2019 - 22 B-)

Ladybird66

Re: Crop harvesting order

Post by Ladybird66 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:41 am

Thanks for posting that Cath. Good guide to ‘the season’. Like you I’ve only got grass fields now but even with them it’s a dodgy game of dice.
My land owners (brothers) have huge areas of land dotted all over the place. Their aim, I think, is to produce most of the feed for the 1000 + cows they own. Obviously they can’t cope with the ‘hands on’ work themselves so employ contractors. They work to a strict regime.
Cut, slurry/fertilise/weed control, with very little time between each. It’s like a game of dice. Like my last outing , they were coming and going around me as I was detecting in a field they’d already done, urgh! Stinky!
It does provide some interesting ‘moments’ though :D

add thought, thank goodness for some cloudy days ::g

Me and my boy

Post by Me and my boy » Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:30 pm

They have been out glyphosating the fields which is used to speed up the ripening process. It’s Awful to think really as we eat the crops, and there is always the talk of possible Carcinogenic effects from glyphosate😩
Two weeks max to harvest in these conditions.

Word of warning;

BUY SOME VASELINE😉

... for your shins before you venture into the stubble, especially the oil seed rape 😭

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:02 pm

The various stubble types can require special precautions when detecting and though I've never tried this particular 'tip' (preventive measure were his words), it's said to be pretty foolproof.
Jeans and bicycle clips. ::g Regards ss47
A disservice is no service at all.

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:14 pm

Me and my boy wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:30 pm
They have been out glyphosating the fields which is used to speed up the ripening process. It’s Awful to think really as we eat the crops, and there is always the talk of possible Carcinogenic effects from glyphosate😩
Two weeks max to harvest in these conditions.
I've only known glyphosate as a weedkiller so interesting to learn that the sodium salt form of glyphosate is used to regulate plant growth and ripen specific crops also. ::g
Nox 800, 15" coil & Garrett carrot.
White's TDI SL

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:15 pm

That's useful to know Cath. ::g
Nox 800, 15" coil & Garrett carrot.
White's TDI SL

Drustan

Post by Drustan » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:01 am

Combine all serviced and ready to go. Always start with the winter barley followed by OSR,spring barley oats, peas , winter wheat and finally beans. ::g

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:56 am

Drustan wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:01 am
Combine all serviced and ready to go. Always start with the winter barley followed by OSR,spring barley oats, peas , winter wheat and finally beans. ::g
Winter barley exists? I should know that shouldn’t I rl; =))
Carpe vinum

XP Deus !!£$ I use the HOT programme on 17khz, reactivity at 2.5 on v5.21 with the X35 11” coil

Hammered silver 2019 - 22 B-)

Return to “Permissions Forum”