Land Owners

Please post all topics here related to the research and gaining finding permission to metal detect.
monojfk

Land Owners

Post by monojfk »

Hi There, any tips on finding out who owns specific land when looking at maps etc? been proving difficult to find this out in order source farmers for permissions? Thanks in advance cheers.

Moruglah

Re: Land Owners

Post by Moruglah »

Finding the landowners is the easy bit. It’s who is rented to is the trouble.
SIMPLEX +

staters quo

Post by staters quo »

What I do is to study the aerial photographs and trace where the tractor tracks all come from.

Sometimes it can be very obvious that even though a field is close to a particular farm all the tractor and vehicle tracks converge on a farm that's further away. If you look carefully you can see a series of gateways that have all been heavily used, eventually leading to one particular farmyard.

It's not a foolproof method but it gets you in the ballpark. One of my permissions however still owns the land but all the actual arable management is carried out by a commercial operation who come in from about five miles away. But in general tractor trails can be a clue.

After that, you'll find that Google Maps isn't much good for naming farms. Ordnance Survey online maps are much more likely to have the farm's name and then its a matter of doing a local business directory search for that farm. That should throw up a surname and contact details, although rarely an email address.

For the time being, while the coronavirus situation is ongoing however I'd recommend you keep the project just to the research stage and don't bother any farmers with calls or letters as they just don't need the distraction right now. Good luck with it. Cheers SQ

Buriedbytime&dust

Post by Buriedbytime&dust »

monojfk wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:09 am
Hi There, any tips on finding out who owns specific land when looking at maps etc? been proving difficult to find this out in order source farmers for permissions? Thanks in advance cheers.

Land Registry is the most reliable way, but it'll cost you £3 per search.

andy1973

Post by andy1973 »

Buriedbytime&dust wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:24 am
monojfk wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:09 am

Land Registry is the most reliable way, but it'll cost you £3 per search.
Or you can go on Nimbus maps sign up for their free trial and you can find out land owners if it’s run as a registered company. I did this for one of my largest permissions .
Makro Kruzer 3 tone
M.A.D member
"I'm praying I find Roman before my wife... else i'll never live it down"
Gold posy ring
1 x roman silver
Still searching for Saxon.

Buriedbytime&dust

Post by Buriedbytime&dust »

andy1973 wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:11 am

Or you can go on Nimbus maps sign up for their free trial and you can find out land owners if it’s run as a registered company. I did this for one of my largest permissions .

I'll give that a look. Cheers ::g

Being stuck at home provides a good opportunity to research some possible permissions. It's definitely not the time for contacting landowners, even by phone/letter/email, but input of research now could pay off later :)

Return to “Permissions Forum”