Important advice on digging on the Thames foreshore

Please only post topics related to beach or water metal detecting here.
Dave8472

Important advice on digging on the Thames foreshore

Post by Dave8472 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:42 pm

Metal Detecting and Digging on the Thames Foreshore

Thames Foreshore Access for Leisure or Pleasure including Metal Detecting and Digging
The Thames foreshore is potentially hazardous and some dangers may not always be immediately apparent. The Thames rises and falls by over 7.0m twice a day as the tide comes in and out. The current is fast and the water is cold.

Anyone going on the foreshore does so entirely at their own risk and must take personal responsibility for their safety and that of anyone with them. In addition to the tide and current mentioned above there are other less obvious hazards, for example raw sewage, broken glass, hypodermic needles and wash from vessels. Steps and stairs down to the foreshore can be slippery and dangerous and are not always maintained.

Full details on this link

Apply for permit here --> Thames Foreshore Permit

rogargaro15

Re: Thames Foreshore Permit

Post by rogargaro15 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:16 am

we cannot forget also, that the permit costs £55 a year!! and you can only dig up to 7.5cm
there is another permit where you can dig up to 1.2mt but i dont know how to get it..

Dave8472

Post by Dave8472 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:46 am

rogargaro15 wrote:we cannot forget also, that the permit costs £55 a year!! and you can only dig up to 7.5cm
there is another permit where you can dig up to 1.2mt but i dont know how to get it..
To get the other permit you need to belong to a specific club and proved yourself to be worthy and responsible, like a form of apprenticeship, the are called "The Mudlarks"

Dave

liamnolan

Post by liamnolan » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:19 am

Unlike us other responsible detectorists called Fieldlarks =))
Dave, how far away from London does the Thames MD licensing apply? Would someone up near the M25 be required for the permit? Liam :-/
Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and the decisions we waited too long to make .. Secretary Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS

Dave8472

Post by Dave8472 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:20 am

Lol, I think it is down to Gravesend Liam, but not sure

Dave

liamnolan

Post by liamnolan » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:26 am

Thanks, the reason I ask is that the Thames has a history that extends way past London. I am an avid Bernard Cornwall reader and his series of novels about the Vikings reveal a very busy river traffic that carried raiders and traders into the heart of England and there were many battles and settlements connected to this watery "Motorway". The romans and saxons also used the Thames extensively and others right up to modern times of course. There are lots of hot spots along the course of the Thames that might produce good finds, so a bit of diligent research in this cold snap could bring its rewards, Liam ;)
Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and the decisions we waited too long to make .. Secretary Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS

russapollo

Post by russapollo » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:31 pm

The permit by the way is 55 pound for three years , i dont think thats to bad.. Russ

Dave8472

Post by Dave8472 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:45 pm

russapollo wrote:The permit by the way is 55 pound for three years , i dont think thats to bad.. Russ
Especially seeing some of the quality finds comming from there, I have paid way more than that going to rally's

Dave

Beany_bot

Post by Beany_bot » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:21 pm

rogargaro15 wrote:we cannot forget also, that the permit costs £55 a year!! and you can only dig up to 7.5cm
£55 a year, to do the hobby you love, where you want, where the good stuff is, for a whole year as much as you want!

Bloody bargain if you ask me.

I pay 8 times that much of flippin road tax.

pinkyandthebrain

Post by pinkyandthebrain » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:00 pm

I had a PLA permit years ago. The Thames foreshore is a dangerous place as seen on tele on that programme. Tides are FAST , dangerous items seemed to appear all the time and be prepared to loose your welly if you stand still lol.
Garrett Ace 250

SilverShark

Post by SilverShark » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:20 pm

Wouldn't mind having a dig around the mud of the Thames foreshore, looks like a fun day out to me :D
Hope 2013 strikes another couple off my wish list.

Torquaygull

Post by Torquaygull » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:09 pm

It can be a dangerous place especially if you get so engrosssed in detecting that you dont notice the tide coming in as it can quite easily cut you off.

dilemma

Post by dilemma » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:51 am

Like the sound of this, does anyone on the forum actually do this and if so any chance in joining you for a morning. Also is there a certain detector that favours this type of detecting. Dont mind traveling and paying for lunch and maybe a half.
Regards Simon

Springhammer

Post by Springhammer » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:51 pm

This is probably a "thick" question so please be kind!

I've looked at the maps on the PLA/Crown Estates website showing the various parts of the Thames foreshore.

I see the 3 colour codes but there is plenty of foreshore which is not colour coded.

Is this part with no coloured designation diggable or searchable with or without a permit or is it prohibited?

I first thought that it was unsearchable and not covered by the permit but now I'm wondering if it's free to search and the 3" depth restriction doesn't even apply.

Thanks
CScope CS6MXI
Garrett Pro-pointer

Torquaygull

Post by Torquaygull » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:11 pm

You can search/dig up to 3 inches in the uncoloured sections but you do still need to have the permit.

Springhammer

Post by Springhammer » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:11 pm

Thanks for your response Torquaygull - I emailed the PLA and got a response saying that there were no restrictions and I could go on to the uncoloured section but I think he meant "with a permit" as you have said.

Cheers
CScope CS6MXI
Garrett Pro-pointer

sbsshadow

Post by sbsshadow » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:32 pm

Considering I work here lol :

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=ec4v4g ... m&t=m&z=16" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I should really apply for this ..........

Stephen

targets

Post by targets » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:33 pm

much of the best sites have been dug out back in the 80s ,most of the original core of the mudlarks from that era have died or no longer dig although some might go to meetings.
the newbies will find some interesting finds but nothing on the scale of the boom era when you could find a pocket full of hammered in a weekend.
and a bucket full of antiquities from the early periods.
you can only dig to shallow depths now so that means less finds.
about 8 hoards were found but they were deep down out of detector range .
the mud can be deep in certain areas so take care
' hammys how i love ya, how i love ya my dear old hammys '

alloverover

Post by alloverover » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:36 pm

I always remember an old mate of mine telling me about digging down the depth of a room to get to the actual Roman layer, they were always waiting for the banks to collapse and would have to actually run at the side that was collapsing to stay above the incoming mud, scary stuff :-O :-O :-O ::g

Fusion

Post by Fusion » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:44 pm

I've heard stories from the 80's of huge holes, which were covered with corrugated steel sheets and weighted with stones when the tide came in, so that they could carry on digging when it went out again.
:(

alloverover

Post by alloverover » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:57 pm

Fusion wrote:I've heard stories from the 80's of huge holes, which were covered with corrugated steel sheets and weighted with stones when the tide came in, so that they could carry on digging when it went out again.
Yep, they were the glory days, Museum of London would be a much less worthwhile institution without the Society of Thames Mudlarks :D :D :D ::g

michaelbarlow

Post by michaelbarlow » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:02 pm

I think having a thames foreshore permit is great because twice a day everyday of the year there are (more or less) no restrictions to dig history, for £55 you get a permit that lasts 3 years after 2 years you can apply to become a full thames mudlark and dig 1.2m but tbh the 3 inches are all you need because a lot of stuff is sitting on top, bearing in mind I've only been doing it for about 6 months and I've already had a hammered coin, 17th c traders, various coins dating from 1675 to the modern day pound coin, one of my favourites is a charles II farthing, along with many artifacts, cannon balls bullets musket balls, buckles, brooches, a nice royal airforce uniform badge and hundreds of buttons, it would take a long time to build up permissions where I have this freedom and the sheer velocity of finds that come up, I love detecting also and one day hope to have plenty of good permissions to keep me occupied but you can't knock mudlarking, its great fun and you get some awesome finds
Cheers
Michael
Thames man through and through,
Rocking a Fisher Goldbug like there's no tomorrow.

targets

Post by targets » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:04 pm

mudlarks meeting tonight at the george pub southwark.....

dennisdog

Looking for Thames Foreshore Buddy

Post by dennisdog » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:28 pm

Hi all, Ive just been reading with great interest about mudlarking and have always wanted to try it out. I would love to join anyone for a trip sometime and share travel etc. So if anyone is interested please reply and maybe plan a good day out.

slinky

Re: Looking for Thames Foreshore Buddy

Post by slinky » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:36 pm

dennisdog wrote:Hi all, Ive just been reading with great interest about mudlarking and have always wanted to try it out. I would love to join anyone for a trip sometime and share travel etc. So if anyone is interested please reply and maybe plan a good day out.
I think this needs a MDF mud larking rally day....... =)) ::g
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

stevebills

Post by stevebills » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:20 pm

Adult £55
Junior (12-17yrs) £25 (must be accompanied by a permit holding adult)
Daily £20 How can a daily charge be £20 and a yearly charge be £55

Fusion

Post by Fusion » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:16 pm

It's £55 for THREE years.
:(

safug

Post by safug » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:50 pm

dilemma wrote:Like the sound of this, does anyone on the forum actually do this and if so any chance in joining you for a morning. Also is there a certain detector that favours this type of detecting. Dont mind traveling and paying for lunch and maybe a half.
Regards Simon
I want to go on the Thames to dig.
PM if you still intreated.
Levi

funky_monkey7

Post by funky_monkey7 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:30 pm

Levi or anyone else - feel free to send me a PM if you're interested in going - I'm definitely up for a dig in the Thames. Anybody know how long it takes to get the license once you've paid?

targets

Post by targets » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:51 am

funky_monkey7 wrote:Levi or anyone else - feel free to send me a PM if you're interested in going - I'm definitely up for a dig in the Thames. Anybody know how long it takes to get the license once you've paid?
you cant dig deep holes without being a member of the ML society and they have a waiting list to join.
just shallow holes on the standard permit .
the passing riverboat cops will hail you with A MEGAPHONE to show your licence .
its a big licence !

Return to “Beach - Rivers - Water”