Important advice on digging on the Thames foreshore

Please only post topics related to beach or water metal detecting here.
egon999

Re: Thames Foreshore Permit

Post by egon999 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:37 pm

I live in the exotic North so getting onto the Thames is difficult but i managed a trip at Christmas. Just eyes only but it was a good trip out. I'm not sure how well you'd do with a detector as there is a lot of scrap and the people I've seen with machines seem to have sniper coils.
I found mainly pipe bowls and stems and also a wig curler (made by the pipe makers)

The areas i was on were a mix of gravel, sand and mud and i pretty much stayed in sight of a set of steps at all times, so I didnt really get that far. I can recomend an eyes only hunt for anyone wanting to 'dip their toes' before commiting to buying a 3 year permit

From my research (and extensive 1 consecutive days experience ;) ) I found the following pointers, but feel free to correct any mistakes. Good luck if you are heading down there and if you live in London its a chance not to be missed. Looking forward to seeing some photos pasted up
::g

: Eyes only hunting is allowed anywhere on the foreshore (excluding areas that are restricted for safety or security. The crown estate jointly looks after the Thames in conjunction with the Port of London Authority. See below for maps

: The £55 permits allows you to use a detector and dig 3 inches (75mm) down but only in certain areas. Maps are available on the Port of London website that show you where you can go. https://www.pla.co.uk/Environment/Metal ... -Foreshore" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

: Theres obviously a risk with the tides. Theres plenty of sites available that have the info you need to time your trip http://www.pla.co.uk/Safety/Tide-Tables" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

: Mudlark permits have to be earned. There seems to be a 2 year wait to get one during which you are expected to find and submit items to the british museum. Once you have one you can dig to around a metre and the areas you can search are expanded

: Pretty much everywhere is slippery or rough underfoot. I wore hiking boots as a balance between ankle support and waterproofing

: Have a look on youtube to get an idea on the areas you can expect to visit, but bear in mind that many videos are submitted by 'mudlarks' so you'll not be able to detect there

Veni Vidi Detecti!

Pjam

Post by Pjam » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:10 pm

rogargaro15 wrote:we cannot forget also, that the permit costs £55 a year!! and you can only dig up to 7.5cm
Now up to £73 ! Ouch x;

Biffo

Post by Biffo » Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:48 pm

I was watching some of the youtube videos about this on Sunday morning. Its something I'm going to have to do, even if its just an "eyes only" search. I assume the Thames in London is the most productive area, but also the most heavily searched - what about other bits ? Anybody search anywhere else on the Thames ?
Never a dull moment ;)

targets

Post by targets » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:20 pm

many areas are now out of bounds to any searching , but they were heavilly dug in the 70s - 90s period down to 10 feet and filled in again. any foreshore between tower bridge and blackfirars bridge has likely been already dug deep many times over ,east of lambeth bridge headed towards parliament is well out of bounds and the cops will get seriously mad if you even tread on that foreshore . greenwich is now banned and in front of tower of london is banned for diggers but you may get away with scraping . in front cop station at wapping bnned . you get a sheet of banned areas with the licence so adhere to the banned areas .queenhithe dock is banned and a monument area .
there are numerous areas that the LM is wanting to keep for themselves as they see old timbers popping up .....so are banned to diggers ....even gravesend was heavilly dug ,,but there may be other places that are undug and unsearched as yet ...about 30 guys were digging it for decades 24/7 in the 70s to 90s ,even in the middle of the nights at 3am they were digging with lamps ,such was their dedication, and on xmas day as well ::g ::g
' hammys how i love ya, how i love ya my dear old hammys '

Rivers rat

Post by Rivers rat » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:35 pm

targets wrote:many areas are now out of bounds to any searching , but they were heavilly dug in the 70s - 90s period down to 10 feet and filled in again. any foreshore between tower bridge and blackfirars bridge has likely been already dug deep many times over ,east of lambeth bridge headed towards parliament is well out of bounds and the cops will get seriously mad if you even tread on that foreshore . greenwich is now banned and in front of tower of london is banned for diggers but you may get away with scraping . in front cop station at wapping bnned . you get a sheet of banned areas with the licence so adhere to the banned areas .queenhithe dock is banned and a monument area .
there are numerous areas that the LM is wanting to keep for themselves as they see old timbers popping up .....so are banned to diggers ....even gravesend was heavilly dug ,,but there may be other places that are undug and unsearched as yet ...about 30 guys were digging it for decades 24/7 in the 70s to 90s ,even in the middle of the nights at 3am they were digging with lamps ,such was their dedication, and on xmas day as well ::g ::g

Targets is spot on i wasn't in the UK in the 90 but it seems that after much talk with some of the mudlarks from the society a lot has been dug only a handful of mudlark are digging ,i got lots of ideas i would love to try but i dont think i will allowed ,my believe is that a lot of treasures must be there but.......................................in the water....searching the Thames is addictive like a gold fever/rush .Mudmen series has attracted a lot of new talents but the Thames is long and large so i guess we will still find nice bits ...cant complain myself .

RR
Owner of a Foster PI one of the Enlightened few

Pastmember01

Post by Pastmember01 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:03 pm

My permit has just turned up about 3 weeks after applying - I'm now a number! It's a credit card size photo ID. They also supply all of the maps and prohibited areas - actually very few and none where I plan to search. The letter says you should show the permit "on demand" to a Port of London Authority or Police officer. I presume that excludes river bailiffs and I'd want anyone's ID before showing the permit.
It's £75 for 3 years which seems a lot but you can't do much for less these days. I suspect most folk won't bother as the chance of getting checked is probably quite remote but, if you are detecting you owe it to other detectorists to show the hobby in a good light. And, for me, I have other country pursuit licences and it would be stupid to end up noted as not being compliant to the law on an official database.
Now just need to check the tide tables and find some time to go.

Return to “Beach - Rivers - Water”