Council Permission

Please post all topics here related to the research and gaining finding permission to metal detect.
Usarfireman

Re: Permission for park/council

Post by Usarfireman » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:59 am

Wish Surrey council would allow that. :((

morning wood

Post by morning wood » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:48 am

You're obviously very LUCKY ladylack :)) When I approached my council that got all ploppy and started reading me the riot act..... well emailing anyway.
I'm sure they'll soon be sticking their chests out and jumping on the bandwagon should I find anything significant on my permissions in the district!!

mrix
Founder

Post by mrix » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:59 am

It had said i got permission from my local council for a permit for all parks and open land they own.

£10 for life << Bargain.
Shocking :-O....they have also implemented a system where you actually have a permit, sounds far more official B-)

Has something changed generally within councils :-/

Interesting stuff

Research required :)

Thanks Ladyluck

mrix

Barnet

Re: Permission for Park / Council

Post by Barnet » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:01 pm

I was thinking about approaching my Parish council. Done a little research and it seems if you approach them properly then you might be in luck. These are the minutes from a Parish council meeting, interesting stuff but might be hard work.

063/09 Public Adjournment.
Mr Ray Deefholts wished to speak about agenda item 9 on metal detecting. Mr Deefholts
stated that he is a member of the Federation of Independent Detectorists and is seeking
permission from the Council for himself and two friends to use metal detectors on Parish
Council land, primarily Station Road Gardens. He explained that detecting can be carried
out over sensitive areas and care is taken to lift only a small turf to minimise damage.
Smaller items found will remain in the possession of the land owner i.e. the Parish Council,
but Horsham Museum may be interested in these finds. Other finds may fall under the
Treasure Act, such as more than two coins over 300 years old. The Finds Liaison Officer is
notified who would send the find to the British Museum for valuation by the Valuation
Committee. The British Museum may wish to purchase the item(s). Mr Deefholts
confirmed that they are covered by £5 million public liability insurance and said he would
send a copy of the certificate to the Clerk. He provided a copy of the Metal Detectors
Licence Agreement to the Clerk.

064/09 Metal Detecting – consider request from member of the public to conduct
metal detecting on Parish Council land.
Cllr. Griffin proposed that permission be given to Mr Deefholts and his two friends to
metal detect on Parish Council land subject to the licence agreement, and provision of a
copy of the public liability insurance certificate. Cllr. Berry seconded the proposal and a
vote was taken: In Favour 5; Abstentions 1. AGREED.
/Barnet aka Steve

Minelab e-trac / Teknetics T2 SE

Dave8472

Post by Dave8472 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:15 pm

I was told about 4 months ago that this was in the pipeline for a council not to far from me, will have to chase up and see if it is now in operation !

Dave
Minelab CTX3030 : 17", 11", 6" Coils
Minelab Equinox 800 : 15", 11" Coils
XP Deus V3.2 - WS5 : 9" Coil
Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Garmin eTrex 20 GPS

loud ed

Post by loud ed » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:32 pm

it is the councils obligation to make a provision to allow you to detect
cant remember exactly but if they say no then you tell them they are discriminating against you and
they are duty bound to let local detectorists have a place to detect it was a law passed recently for another hobby i cant remember what it was but the wording applies to all sports and pastimes
XP DEUS USER

bazzzar

Post by bazzzar » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:22 am

If approaching my local council, which Dept do I email or ask for?

I sent an email to the local green spaces type person :-/ but never got a reply! so was wondering if it went to the right dept.
"There are a lot of IFs in Formula One, in fact IF is Formula One backwards!" - Murray Walker

liamnolan
Location: Hemswell, Lincolnshire. originally from Dublin, southern Ireland

Post by liamnolan » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:36 pm

Now and then a really good post comes along and today, this is it! I would be intrested in knowing what department to contact as otherwise it will be a minefield, always better to contact the right person from the start. Well done to anyone who gains permission.
Liam :)
Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and decisions we waited too long to make .. Spokesperson Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS Vice President European Council for Metal Detecting

Usarfireman

Post by Usarfireman » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:46 pm

Same here been going through all departments trying to find the relevant department to contact. ~x(

morning wood

Post by morning wood » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:54 pm

My council has a department for 'Parks, Gardens and Allotments'. The contact was the Outdoor Leisure Manager. I'm sure most councils will have the same or a similar department. Whether it's the best or only route though I'm not sure :-/

rustynail

Post by rustynail » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:58 pm

Will I? Won't I? What kind of silly question is that?

Garrett Ace 250

Barbarossa

Post by Barbarossa » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:47 pm

rustynail wrote:Take a look at this for Kettering:

http://www.kettering.gov.uk/downloads/0 ... mplate.pdf
Blimey - that's ten pounds a month :(
CS3MX, Garrett TA100

morning wood

Post by morning wood » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:49 pm

ladyluck29 wrote:I was lucky enough to see some one metal detecting in one of our largest parks and i approached him and asked if you need a permit.

And in the park was a hut for inquiries/park wardens etc and i got my permit in there and recieved it straight away just an A4 piece of paper signed by you and one of the council men, and all the rules/regulations etc.

I hope you all get one it really does make life easy, and the hobby more enjoyable.

Im not sure who you have to contact at the council as i got mine at the park.

Good luck guys and hope to bump into some of you in reading swinging those detectors. x
Out of interest what's ths score regarding finds and the ownership of?

Rincewind

Post by Rincewind » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:54 pm

morning wood wrote:
ladyluck29 wrote:I was lucky enough to see some one metal detecting in one of our largest parks and i approached him and asked if you need a permit.

And in the park was a hut for inquiries/park wardens etc and i got my permit in there and recieved it straight away just an A4 piece of paper signed by you and one of the council men, and all the rules/regulations etc.

I hope you all get one it really does make life easy, and the hobby more enjoyable.

Good luck guys and hope to bump into some of you in reading swinging those detectors. x
Out of interest what's ths score regarding finds and the ownership of?
Beat me to it,good question.
People whose concept of ancient history is the first series of Star Trek may be treated with patience, because it's usually not their fault they were reduced to getting their education from school.

Terry Pratchett

DforDog

Post by DforDog » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:57 pm

This is indeed great news.
I can see most of the councils in the land now being inundated with phone calls and letters, mine most defenetly :)

Good luck everyone.
Teknetics T2

Beany_bot

Post by Beany_bot » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:29 pm

All that previously undetected land..... 8->

Beany_bot

Post by Beany_bot » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:32 pm

does this includes all council properties? Schools, playground, the full lot?

Berkshire Novice

Post by Berkshire Novice » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:43 pm

I've also received a copy of the permit from Reading BC.

The cost is £10 per year.

There are restrictions as to where/when you can detect... kind of obvious and fair. They do expect you to contact the curator of the local museum informing them of the exact places and times you wish to detect and to comply with any request from them regarding methods of search, digging and recording etc. You must also inform the groundsman/park keeper when you arrive. All finds must be cared for and reported to the council in writing and they will have the opportunity of inspecting and recording them AND THEY SHALL BE ENTITLED TO RETAIN ANY ARTEFACTS FOUND. All items containing gold or silver must be reported to the police and to the coroner.

All common sense stuff really but if you find something of value they get to keep it!!

Berkshire Novice

Post by Berkshire Novice » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:46 pm

Beany_bot wrote:does this includes all council properties? Schools, playground, the full lot?

the permit is for parks and open spaces (as controlled by the Parks and Open spaces Dept!) only with some restrictions

josstick

Post by josstick » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:58 pm

found the Dept that deals with the autority, but try finding any thing else out. Bloody nightmare, think it might have to be a phone call, either that or I am looking in the wrong direction, which is the most likely
Detecting the detectors detecting.

letiss30

Post by letiss30 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:13 pm

loud ed wrote:it is the councils obligation to make a provision to allow you to detect
cant remember exactly but if they say no then you tell them they are discriminating against you and
they are duty bound to let local detectorists have a place to detect it was a law passed recently for another hobby i cant remember what it was but the wording applies to all sports and pastimes
come on rack your brain we are all depending on you! :)

Shufly

Post by Shufly » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:32 pm

Glenfiddich wrote:
ladyluck29 wrote:

Hi Ladyluck....you sure are lucky....if that were me I'm sure I'd have a better chance seeing a monkey riding a bicycle while juggling balls of fire, not only did you get permission to go in your local park but also the fact that you got it from a little hut specially just for wardens in the park and not some big city centre council building where everyone thought you had been.

Good luck...lucky,lucky LadyLuck !! :)
My thoughts as well Glenfiddich old chap,, sure was a lucky day that day, and to find a park keeper with the relevant forms on him, you just cant get any luckier than that. =)) =)) =))

morning wood

Post by morning wood » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:38 am

Glenfiddich wrote:
Hi Loud ed....read this and hope it helps - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4966424.stm
So called detectorists are an absolute pain on our local urban park. They should be prosecuted for criminal damage. They leave holes and damaged turf all over the place. People doing sports or playing in those areas are then at risk of breaking an ankle. We have found that seeding the soil in the area with hundreds of washers of different metal types is the best way of getting rid of these pests.
Chris Stevens, London UK
I guess Mr Stevens is generally not a very nice person :(

ninja nige

Post by ninja nige » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:22 pm

hello all.
i went to Norwich County Hall today to check on the policy for detecting,
Great news you can detect free on all council land - park land no problem at all .
BUT if you break the ground or dig any type of hole you will be done for criminal damage.
"dont really seem any point doing it" the council official said
On the plus side it is much cheaper this way as you may as well not put batteries in.
WHITES MXT, MXT-PRO,mxt sport..MAKRO MULTI KRUZER.. 750 formula racing car, arsenal season ticket. `11 cats

rustynail

Post by rustynail » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:52 pm

Emailed my council again yesterday, but they are standing their ground re metal detecting on their property. Having said this, they did suggest that things could change and to get back to them later on. As with everything connected with gov departments, it didn't sound that promising. :(
Will I? Won't I? What kind of silly question is that?

Garrett Ace 250

Beany_bot

Post by Beany_bot » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:58 pm

morning wood wrote:
Glenfiddich wrote:
Hi Loud ed....read this and hope it helps - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4966424.stm
So called detectorists are an absolute pain on our local urban park. They should be prosecuted for criminal damage. They leave holes and damaged turf all over the place. People doing sports or playing in those areas are then at risk of breaking an ankle. We have found that seeding the soil in the area with hundreds of washers of different metal types is the best way of getting rid of these pests.
Chris Stevens, London UK
I guess Mr Stevens is generally not a very nice person :(
What a complete a***hole, OK fair enough detectorists shouldn't be leaving holes where they go but "seeding the ground with washers" what a completely ignorant idea to suggest, so that toddlers and animals visiting the park can put them in their mouth and choke to death?? not only that it would look awful, its completely littering.

Donski

Post by Donski » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:30 pm

Got this reply from Hampshire County Council:

"Good morning.

Thank you for your recent enquiry. Hampshire County Council do not allow metal detecting on County Farms Land or I believe on any County property.

I am not aware of any change that may take place in the near future, however I will keep your details on file should this occur and will contact you should this be the case."

Regards

Steph
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pointer.

Beany_bot

Post by Beany_bot » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:47 pm

Donski wrote:Got this reply from Hampshire County Council:

"Good morning.

Thank you for your recent enquiry. Hampshire County Council do not allow metal detecting on County Farms Land or I believe on any County property.

I am not aware of any change that may take place in the near future, however I will keep your details on file should this occur and will contact you should this be the case."

Regards

Steph
Dear steph,

Due to the discrimination act ....blah blah blah.

Wansdyke44

Post by Wansdyke44 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:01 pm

Donski wrote:Got this reply from Hampshire County Council:

"Good morning.

Regards

Steph
Get the feeling this didn't get to the right person...

Have seen others detecting in my local park before, now I'll be asking them if they have a permit. I expect to get a thump :((

Local Councils... in a word... minefield!
In the Zone with the Garrett carrot!

My Finds Gallery

Hieronymus

Post by Hieronymus » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:15 pm

I've tried to obtain the permission to detect in few different parks around London. Same response everywhere - most of them are no longer a public matter - sold to private owners who now take care about the whole park infrastructure or they are listed on the British Heritage list for some strange reason ( no building, construction of any historical value)

Sometimes I wish to live in US where the freedom of urban detecting is just enormous:-)
In Tamesis Speramus

Return to “Permissions Forum”