Council Permission

Please post all topics here related to the research and gaining finding permission to metal detect.
Wuntbedruv

Re: Council Permission

Post by Wuntbedruv » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:41 pm

jcmaloney wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:31 pm

Unless someone b**** it up. ::g

County Council next................... :D :D
Experience and cynicism tells me that it will take about 6 months before the number of people taking the proverbial leads a re-think of that policy change.

God gives all men all earth to love, but since man’s heart is small,
Ordains for each one spot shall prove beloved over all.
Each to his choice, and I rejoice, the lot has fallen to me
In a fair ground—in a fair ground—Yea, Sussex by the sea!

jcmaloney

Post by jcmaloney » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:59 pm

Wuntbedruv wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:41 pm
jcmaloney wrote:

Experience and cynicism tells me that it will take about 6 months before the number of people taking the proverbial leads a re-think of that policy change.

To be perfectly honest many of the parks & open spaces that are now accessible are not the place to be wearing headphones and carrying an expensive bit of kit!!!
=)) =))
Opinions expressed on MY posts are mine and NOT those of any democratic organisation I volunteer for. ::g

Buriedbytime&dust

Post by Buriedbytime&dust » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:54 am

Wuntbedruv wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:41 pm
jcmaloney wrote:

Yep. On my local park there are a very clear, and very reasonable, set of rules that come with the permit to detect. First and foremost is don't dig in the wildflower meadow or on the football pitches!

Walking the dog, I've seen numerous poorly repaired holes in the wildflower meadow and last time I was there, the ranger asked me to keep an eye out for anyone detecting on the football pitches, because they'd found holes dug on there (and yes, they were definitely detecting holes - rabbits don't dig 360 plugs and leave them protruding 3" out of the ground when they put them back...).

No doubt the same people that are doing this will be furious when the Council withdraws the permit system, which I'd imagine they will before long.

tonymacaroni

Post by tonymacaroni » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:26 pm

Wuntbedruv Its a Shame you feel this way you either have your own permissions or live local to a beach I assume..good for you...not all of us do or can easily access such places...so whats left done to death rallys at £20 a pop Oh Joy....and I believe we as taxpayers have just as much right to use the land as a football player a cyclist or an angler ...i live on top of a country park as well as lots of other open spaces as a dog owner through the colder months i can go day in day out without seeing another person using the land...what a waste.. my grandkids love going but that requires my being available still in the meantime they can always hang round on street corners puffing drinking and learning how to wield a knife I suppose...
Last edited by tonymacaroni on Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wuntbedruv

Post by Wuntbedruv » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:58 pm

tonymacaroni wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:26 pm
Shame you feel this way you either have your own permissions or live local to a beach I assume..good for you...not all of us do or can easily access such places...so whats left done to death rallys at £20 a pop Oh Joy....and I believe we as taxpayers have just as much right to use the land as a football player a cyclist or an angler ...i live on top of a country park as well as lots of other open spaces as a dog owner through the colder months i can go day in day out without seeing another person using the land...what a waste
The taxpayer argument would sit fine with me if there weren't so many irresponsible detectorists out there b*ggering it up for everyone else.

With media stories of the night shift, Treasure not being declared, finds being pocketed and rival clubs practically engaging in blood feuds over nothing (not to mention the way people pop at each other via social media) are you really surprised councils take the easy option and just ban it?

And in respect to not having a permission, this is going to sound really harsh, but you need to meet my friend Mr Percy Vere. There are thousands of landowners in this country who have never been asked about detecting. Perseverance and persistence work.

And if you don't like the idea of the pay-per-dig groups, join a local club-they'll have a yearly fee and probably access to club land which tends to be a bit more exclusive in who goes on.
God gives all men all earth to love, but since man’s heart is small,
Ordains for each one spot shall prove beloved over all.
Each to his choice, and I rejoice, the lot has fallen to me
In a fair ground—in a fair ground—Yea, Sussex by the sea!

tonymacaroni

Post by tonymacaroni » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:15 pm

I have exhausted the landowner route locally,fortunately I am in a club and as such I can get out and dig but the youth have no access to even follow the interest without an elder to hold their hand...we just went through the summer holidays and they were chomping at the bit to go but I could not take them as often as wanted,they could have been out on their own if the land were available,not all kids are a menace but left to sit bored in parks only ever usually leads to mischief.
Something really needs to be done to encourage the youth ...thats me done

LloydF

Post by LloydF » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:32 pm

Some useful info regarding Peterborough City Council and tenant farmers!

"Hi Lloyd,

Thank you for your email, I have no issues if the Farmer has given permission for you to do metal detect on their tenanted land.

Many Thanks

James Collingridge

Head of Environmental Partnerships"

Good to know!
Garrett ACE 400i
Garrett Pro pointer AT

f8met

Post by f8met » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:26 pm

LloydF wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:32 pm
Some useful info regarding Peterborough City Council and tenant farmers!

"Hi Lloyd,

Thank you for your email, I have no issues if the Farmer has given permission for you to do metal detect on their tenanted land.

Many Thanks

James Collingridge

Head of Environmental Partnerships"

Good to know!
Is he just Peterborough or Cambridgeshire? Cambridgeshire is one of the largest council owners of land and encourages tenant farming. I have read Cambridgeshires model tenant agreement and it does state that the tenant should protect the land from detecting. However I have emailed the FLO about it and she said that they should allow it as long as there are no archaeological features.

I have a friend who is s a tenant and I am trying to gain permission there as although it is fenland, my grandfather used to farm it and my uncle found a bronze age spearhead there.
Dave
Deus, 9" and 11" black coil
2019 22 Hammered
Hit my 200th hammered!

LloydF

Post by LloydF » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:57 pm

He is just Peterborough City Council I believe, a farmer was interested on me going on his land but wasn't sure how it worked as PCC owned the farm. I said there was no harm in asking.
Garrett ACE 400i
Garrett Pro pointer AT

Return to “Permissions Forum”