Council Permission

Please post all topics here related to the research and gaining permission to metal detect.
ed209

Re: Council Permission

Post by ed209 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:59 pm

Thanks housed not a bad idea,

At the moment I'm wrestling with

Wandsworth
Merton
Croydon
Sutton
Richmond
Bromley
and Kingston councils.

2 of them said a straight no so I'm trying to find out what is the reason of the ban, some of them forwarded my letter to the competent person.

-We will see
Said the Zen master

ed209

Post by ed209 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:06 pm

"Hello Adam, thank you for approaching me to ask for permission to use a metal detector. Use of metal detectors is covered in the byelaws and is only allowed with permission. In practice we only give permission for metal detectors to be used when the Borough’s Heritage team or Archaeology Society are on site conducting an organised dig. This is because there are numerous historical sites in the borough and we don’t want items discovered and removed without appropriate cataloguing and recording.

I hope this explains our position."

Sutton council ,':|

dougie12

Post by dougie12 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:18 pm

Im guessing councils would be frightened that detecting on park grounds could easily become a free for all.Im sure the minority of metal detector enthusiasts would leave potholes and most likely destroy flower beds etc and not be bothered at all.Might only be a small minority ...but thats all it needs to spoil things for everyone.
Garret 150( probabley the best of the 3)
Garret 350
Whites M6
Garret pro pointer(3 in 8 months,next 1 will be a cheaper model))

Mega B

Post by Mega B » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:29 pm

@ed209,the 2 biggest problems that you are facing is the fact that you live in london and land is scare if any to ask for your own permission,but the council replies will nearly be the same as what you have had back today.I of course hope i am wrong,but the bottom line is it aint going too happen.

You will either have to be content with possibly doing the thames foreshore or be prepered to travel out of the city to even stand a chance.

Its very rare for anyone to get permission on council or similar type of land,i would think for every 1000 people who apply for permission maybe one could get that magic 'yes' answer,not only do you stand a chance of being fobbed off to another department or you think you may have found a 'loophole trump card' they will still come up with some legal aspect to close the door,its the same old reply time and again 'health and safety' or yes you can detect but you cannot dig.

Please dont be suprised that all of them are a plain and simple 'NO',its not only London i guess but all cities and big towns would be very similar,the bottom line is detectorist hope that the council will grant them permission thinking it cannot do any harm to anyone and the councils dont want us doing detecting.

I wish you and anyone else who goes down this route all the very best but be prepered to be disappointed.

ed209

Post by ed209 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:42 pm

Hello MegaB

Well you just summed up everything really.
Stuck in London because of my job, there's no space in here to detect, if there's any no one will let me there.Councils wouldn't give a crap about it, all they see is holes and H&S rules.

Thames is okay, but lately I just wanted some change.

End of story, I just wait a couple of more replies like above and you'll see my detector coming up on MDF auction site... B|

Disappointed big time.

THE MOLE

Post by THE MOLE » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:50 pm

hey ed209,
from your letter they answered the question for you.
quote: In practice we only give permission for metal detectors to be used when the Borough’s Heritage team or Archaeology Society are on site conducting an organised dig.

so find your local Archaeology Society and ask can you join,tell them you a metal detectorist and would like to help out on any digs they have. you could detect the spoil as they dig it out also the surrounding area. once they get to trust you and not think your some fly by night detectorist with pound signs in his eyes they might send you out on a reccy on land they are going to dig.

i know you would want to keep your finds but its better than having nowhere to go atm and also you never know who you might meet in the club who has or knows someone that has land.

lets face it even tony robinson has had detectorists on his programe from time to time, so there is hope out there.

at least if you get a yes it will do till something else comes along and gives a break from the foreshore ::g

neil.
Just using the Force Image

mathewbarrett

Post by mathewbarrett » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:12 pm

Excellent advice, Neil. Additionally, I'd suggest that while the council-owned parks might be off limits, there are still plenty of people with gardens that might just let you do some detecting under the right circumstances. Granted, it's a more delicate scenario in a city, but you could look at it much the same way you might look at knocking on a farmer's door. Doesn't hurt to try...and I certainly had a couple landlords in London who I bet wouldn't have dismissed such a request out of hand.
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett pinpointer
Evolution Spade
Evolution digging knife
Green Wellies

ed209

Post by ed209 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:33 am

Thanks for all the ideas:)

Reply came from Merton Council:

"It’s our policy and based upon damage caused by such hobbyists in the past. We don’t have a permit system therefore."
:(

About local Archaeology Society, yes I emailed two of them yesterday, so let's see what they say.

In the same time some lovely people offered me to join them not far here, so that might be a solution.:)

ed209

Post by ed209 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:55 pm

I thought I just carry on with the replies, nothing new here. sw;

"Dear Mr ,

Thank you very much for getting in touch with us re your request to use a metal detector on our land. Unfortunately we do not grant permissions of that kind. We repeatedly receive request from metal detector enthusiasts but on the grounds that we manage a resource for the public we have to consider Health and Safety and other site uses plus the need for follow ups and on-going monitoring of the activity for which we have not got the resources."

This one is from Croydon Council.

Maybe I should give up trying to metal detect in London (:|

I have a new hobby now, collecting rejection letters from Councils...

liamnolan

Post by liamnolan » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:27 pm

I know its probably buried within this long topic somewhere, so forgive me for not searcing ... but what would be of enormous help to all those approaching their Councils for detecting permission would be to have a stock permission request letter. It would contain all of the references to laws and rights that support our hobby. The recipient of that letter would then be leaning towards granting permission because he can see in black and white that it can be very easily managed and that there are either precedents to have to follow from other Council decisions elsewhere or that the existing laws allow it. Lets get one such latter drafted up and then we can all add to it or change things so that anyone receiving it will break down in tears and beg the sender to come along and do as much detecting as he/she likes! Liam ::g :;@
Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and the decisions we waited too long to make .. Secretary Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS

housed

Post by housed » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:06 pm

Billingshurst parish council have a byelaw at 40 in the link below. I don't believe they need to go through parliament as councils have certain delegated powers. Decent Parish councils will have a similar website with up to date byelaws.

http://www.billingshurst.gov.uk/Billing ... YELAWS.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://theresponsibledetectorist.blogspot.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AceDiggerAndy

Post by AceDiggerAndy » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:20 pm

Just received this Email following my inquiries regarding
obtaining a metal detecting permit to search council/park land.

I have been passed your email regarding your query for a metal detecting permit.
I can confirm that the District Council do not issue metal detecting permits. You may go across HDC land with your metal detector but you may not dig up or damage HDC ground.

I hope this answers your query.

Regards

XXXXX
Legal Assistant
Huntingdonshire District Council

Regards

XXXXXXX

Legal Assistant

Dave8472

Post by Dave8472 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:18 pm

Please do not post on this thread ways to circumnavigate the action of digging, using an implement to disturb the ground would be deemed as digging, the forum rules clearly state that permission is required and we can not condone any other action to be taken.

Dave &*(

Saprom1954

Post by Saprom1954 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:09 pm

I have permission to detect on 5 local parks with a permit, and now I have seen holes dug and left with the turf off so now I am waiting for my permit to be recalled because of some moron who spoils it for all of us.

Ir0nman

Post by Ir0nman » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:34 pm

What would be a standard agreement between you and the council regarding sharing finds. 50/50?
Teknetics G2+
Garrett ACE250- Nel Tornado coil
Deteknix wader li pinpointer

THE MOLE

Post by THE MOLE » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:02 pm

Ir0nman wrote:What would be a standard agreement between you and the council regarding sharing finds. 50/50?
thats the law as far as treasure finds go..........unless you dont have permission from the council. in which case you wont get anything except maybe a fine.

or in another scenario the council might allow permission on the understanding that anything found is theres.

::g

neil.
Just using the Force Image

Sportsman

Post by Sportsman » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:11 pm

Saprom1954 wrote:I have permission to detect on 5 local parks with a permit, and now I have seen holes dug and left with the turf off so now I am waiting for my permit to be recalled because of some moron who spoils it for all of us.
Saprom if you don't mind me asking how did you manage to get permission from the council ::g
Xp Deus.

My Lucky Underpants

MrLysol

Post by MrLysol » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:18 pm

Some do issue permits ...

http://www.chesterfield.gov.uk/Metal-Detectors-965.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
T2 Ltd camo' + ultimate Detech 13" !
Chefphones CP2's
Garrett pinpoint probe ,

And bags of enthusiasm :-):D

Ir0nman

Post by Ir0nman » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:17 pm

THE MOLE wrote:
Ir0nman wrote:What would be a standard agreement between you and the council regarding sharing finds. 50/50?
thats the law as far as treasure finds go..........unless you dont have permission from the council. in which case you wont get anything except maybe a fine.

or in another scenario the council might allow permission on the understanding that anything found is theres.

::g

neil.
Thanks. It will be with permission with the parish council. I have a meeting with them to confirm and wanted to be fair so thought 50/50 with all finds??
Teknetics G2+
Garrett ACE250- Nel Tornado coil
Deteknix wader li pinpointer

A Quatermain

Post by A Quatermain » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:34 am

I was fortunate enough to be granted permision by my parish council for my lad and myself.I obtained this by attending a monthly meeting held in our village hall.It may be a case that it is a small village and everyone is close as the council members sitting at the meeting are virtualy all long time family friends that got me permision.From what i have read the city and county councils are far less accomodating so if you do live in a small village with its little parish adminastration it's certainly worth attending those monthly meetings.I would also mention the responsible way you conduct your searches ie small plugs,sheet down on any turf ao the area can be left as found ect.It's also prudent to attend further meetings to report on any finds.
The past is behind us the future is to come but now is a gift thats why its called the present.

ice_cube

Post by ice_cube » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:31 am

just posting for info really, Barnet council is a no go -

Thank you for your email.

We do not allow metal detectors in Barnet parks.

Regards

On behalf of Parks Section

Crete

Post by Crete » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:41 am

I've contacted the council Requesting Permission for Use of metal detecting .
I received a reply yesterday.

Hello

Unfortunately we do not allow metal detecting in any of our formal parks.
We wish you very success in the future

Kind regards
Pauline
Parks Liaison Officer – Central & Northern Area
Stoke-on-Trent City Council
Environmental Services - City Renewal
Upper Admin Block

A Quatermain

Post by A Quatermain » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:16 pm

Crete wrote:I've contacted the council Requesting Permission for Use of metal detecting .
I received a reply yesterday.

Hello

Unfortunately we do not allow metal detecting in any of our formal parks.
We wish you very success in the future

Kind regards
Pauline
Parks Liaison Officer – Central & Northern Area
Stoke-on-Trent City Council
Environmental Services - City Renewal
Upper Admin Block
I have a friend that lives in Shelton and he was told he could use his metal detector in the parks but digging of any kind was prohibited.
The past is behind us the future is to come but now is a gift thats why its called the present.

Crete

Post by Crete » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:50 pm

Thanks mate. Shame about that x;

Bikerboyzx6r

Post by Bikerboyzx6r » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:26 pm

Come on guys!!!

If someone did not have authority over the Parks etc... they would be destroyed!!!

I'm a metal detectorist and even I understand that if all of a sudden 16,000 detectorists (UK estimation) suddenly are allowed to dig up their parks... what state would they be left in for people to walk across, play on etc!

Get a grip people... Wild flowers are not owned but many are illegal to pick... id rather have a beautiful country than a handfull of ring pulls and the odd decimal coin!

Rant over... ::g
HH! Dan
XP Deus v3.2 - 11" Coil
Garrett Pro Pointer
Black Ada Invader

housed

Post by housed » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:01 pm

Bikerboyzx6r wrote:Come on guys!!!

If someone did not have authority over the Parks etc... they would be destroyed!!!

I'm a metal detectorist and even I understand that if all of a sudden 16,000 detectorists (UK estimation) suddenly are allowed to dig up their parks... what state would they be left in for people to walk across, play on etc!

Get a grip people... Wild flowers are not owned but many are illegal to pick... id rather have a beautiful country than a handfull of ring pulls and the odd decimal coin!

Rant over... ::g
I was detecting in a park earlier today for an hour. I make extra sure that all holes and neatly dug and plugged back. Can't tell that I've been there, it's not that hard. The Council give a list of places you can go and a free permit.

Unfortunately there are a fair few idiots who don't backfill their holes and leave all the crap they find next to the hole so I can understand why other Councils find it easier to ban everyone.
http://theresponsibledetectorist.blogspot.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dave8472

Post by Dave8472 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:16 pm

Hi all, a very long running thread here, since starting detecting nearly 4 years ago myself and many others thought parks were the way to go, I was lucky to get permission for a short while at the beginning and did a stint in a park, had some good finds. But to be honest a few years down the line they are a dead end, you are far better to seek out proper farm or pasture permissions, or join a club. You will only get frustrated at mainly finding tons of rubbish and mostly milled coinage of the last 100 or so years.

Park permissions are always going to be mainly a no, you might be lucky to get the occasional yes for the odd park here and there. Far better to use your time looking for a more long term proper solution rather than wasting your time corresponding with council staff. Don't get me wrong, no problem asking but once you have a no, move on to looking elsewhere, doing the 'keyboard warrior' move trying to go up against the council/MP's/bylaws etc is fruitless.

Dave &*(

Bikerboyzx6r

Post by Bikerboyzx6r » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:19 pm

housed wrote:Unfortunately there are a fair few idiots who don't backfill their holes and leave all the crap they find next to the hole so I can understand why other Councils find it easier to ban everyone.
Exactly!... Unfortunately 1 in 10 careless detectorist would make a mess of our parks and I'd rather have a nice park thats protected from that 1 idiot than a mess that no-one can use anymore.
HH! Dan
XP Deus v3.2 - 11" Coil
Garrett Pro Pointer
Black Ada Invader

Gwawrer

Post by Gwawrer » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:14 pm

Cheshire West and Chester council stance on metal detecting
The Council says No !!! Not a chance even !!

Cheshire West and Chester Council    Protocol for the use of metal detectors on local authority owned or tenanted land    This document sets out Cheshire West and Chester Council’s (CWAC) protocol on metal  detecting on Council land.     Metal detecting on land owned or tenanted by Cheshire West and Chester Council is not  permitted except where a metal detecting survey forms part of an approved programme  of archaeological investigation.    This protocol is effective from 10 May 2013 and supersedes any previous policy or  arrangements.  It has been adopted by the following operational services: Street Scene,  Cheshire Farms, Property, Highways, and Leisure and Green Spaces, in order to provide a  consistent approach to the management of the Council’s heritage assets.    Explanation    Metal detectors can be valuable archaeological tools when used responsibly. However metal  detecting can be problematic and can result in:   Removal of artefacts from their contexts with serious loss of information    Damage to related archaeological deposits   Partial recovery of assemblages which often neglects non‐metal finds, again with a  loss of information   Unreported discoveries leading to an accumulated loss of knowledge    Metal detecting on undisturbed land and permanent pasture where no imminent threat of  destruction is present is inadvisable, as archaeological features may lie close to the surface  and could be damaged by digging to recover detected objects.    Metal detecting should only usually be carried out on arable land, which has already been  disturbed and should only be used to recover material within the depth of ploughing and  not from undisturbed contexts. This is in line with guidance from English Heritage1.    The Archaeology Planning Advisory Service (APAS), part of the Specialist Advisory Service,  provides archaeological advice to all services in CWAC and advices on appropriate  management regimes for the authority’s heritage assets. APAS recognises the valuable  contribution made by metal detecting in locating previously unknown sites and as a survey  technique and therefore accepts that metal detecting may be used as part of a structured  programme of archaeological research. Metal detecting is advised as part of archaeological  mitigation programmes where appropriate, as part of the planning process. In addition  APAS works closely with the national Portable Antiquities Scheme, to ensure that all  portable artefacts are properly recorded.   
Cheshire West and Chester Council  Protocol for the use of metal detectors on local authority owned or tenanted land ‐ May 2013  Page 2 
Some land owned or tenanted by Cheshire West and Chester Council carries specific  restrictions on the use of metal detectors. It is an offence to use a metal detector on a  Scheduled Monument or in the Chester Area of Archaeological Importance, without a  licence from English Heritage2. It is also recommended that detecting is not carried out on  known archaeological sites, whether designated or undesignated. Designated sites (in  addition to Scheduled Monuments) include sites on English Heritage’s Register of Parks and  Gardens of Special Historic Interest, such as Grosvenor Park, and non designated sites are  included in the Cheshire Historic Environment Record (maintained by APAS).    Metal detecting is already restricted on land which is entered into Environmental Land  Management Schemes, such as Countryside Stewardship, Entry Level, Organic Entry Level  and Higher Level Stewardship Schemes without the written consent of Natural England.  Some land managed by Cheshire Farms is entered into these schemes, as well as areas such  as The Meadows in Chester. In addition, byelaws may exist limiting certain activities in  country parks and public parks. 
Its better out of the ground and in your hand for the history or monetary value rather than left in the ground to rot doing nothing for anyone.
Member of Cheshire Metal Detecting Society
In love with Mr Deus for ever.

Gwawrer

Post by Gwawrer » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:50 pm

Yes Chester council dead set against metal detecting, not a very nice council take on metal detecting. From this document they think its just destructive and people will not report finds, but if people don't detect nothing would be found.
This is the bit below I think is total madness.

(Metal detecting on undisturbed land and permanent pasture where no imminent threat of destruction is present is inadvisable, as archaeological features may lie close to the surface and could be damaged by digging to recover detected objects.)

I have loads of land so I'm not bothered about council land and I am well known to the Flo for reporting finds. :D
Its better out of the ground and in your hand for the history or monetary value rather than left in the ground to rot doing nothing for anyone.
Member of Cheshire Metal Detecting Society
In love with Mr Deus for ever.

Return to “Permissions”