Council Permission

Please post all topics here related to the research and gaining finding permission to metal detect.
Meursault

Re: Permission for Park / Council

Post by Meursault » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:45 pm

Hey there! You might want to check out the following link first... ::g

http://mail.metaldetectingforum.co.uk/v ... f=12&t=558

Bear in mind, the beach you're aiming for may not be owned completely by them - check out the maps section for more detail!

Fisher F2

Eggonlegs

Post by Eggonlegs » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:18 pm

I applied to my council and have just been fobbed off regarding metal detecting in the parks in Hull. They only seem worried about third party claims for injuries caused by not filling holes in etc. Can anyone direct me to the piece of legislation regarding detecting or is it all hearsay and a rumour? I would like to go further and quote the ruling at them and see what their response is.

Dadinator

Post by Dadinator » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:13 pm

I have just had a reply from my local council (shepway)..

"If there is public access to Shepway land, then we have no reason to object or say no to this."

so i am now just trying to find out what land they own, as some of our local park areas etc are owned by different land owners and quangos( for want of a better word) etc etc.

But i am happy with their quick response, so it's a ::g for shepway council. :))
Garrett Ace 250
NCMD
A smile on my face :)

Scotty68

Post by Scotty68 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:00 pm

Here in Doncaster the council dont allow detecting on their land :(
Swinging a Whites Spectra V3i
Garrett Pro Pointer

Emrys

Post by Emrys » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:34 pm

letiss30 wrote:
loud ed wrote:it is the councils obligation to make a provision to allow you to detect
cant remember exactly but if they say no then you tell them they are discriminating against you and
they are duty bound to let local detectorists have a place to detect it was a law passed recently for another hobby i cant remember what it was but the wording applies to all sports and pastimes
Hi does anyone know the name of the hobbies and pastime law that was passed im wanting to write to my local council so want to get all the facts first to hit them with.
thanks
[email protected]
Xp Deus 11"coil /AT pro /pro pointer and a lot of enthusiasm
first roman bronze 25/8/1, first hammy 27/4/15 Henry 3rd penny 1216-1272

ghostman

Post by ghostman » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:34 pm

I have just been to my local Town Hall to ask about permission, everyone there was very happy to help. Once they started to look as to who was responsible for giving permission we came across a brick wall, went from dept to dept and got nowhere really, only thing she could find was the Crown Estate Foreshore Permit. 1st time they'd been asked!! I have asked to sweep the Parks etc but only for surface/shallow finds, where I wouldn't big digging deep holes, the Clerk on the counter said she couldn't see any reason why not if that was the case.(I did tell them that I was a member of the NCMD and covered by Insurance). So I am holding my breath waiting to hear back from someone. :-w ::g
Hi ho hi ho a detecting i shall go, a clunk on the spade, found a hand grenade, oh no oh no oh no

NCMD Member
Precision Gold L47BH
C Scope CS2M
Hand made Sand Scoop
JCB
First finds
1937-40 Silver ARP Badge
1900 Victorian 3d

Ziggy jinx

Post by Ziggy jinx » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:57 pm

The only person you need to contact is the manager of parks and open spaces.. Don't bother finding anyone else just hunt him/her down.. ;)

Emrys

does anyone know the law that was passed ??

Post by Emrys » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:37 pm

Hi everyone
Ive been struggling for a while now with my local council and county council , regarding the law that was passed that relates to hobbies and pastimes.
as mentioned by "loud ed" saying it is the councils obligation to make a provision to allow you to detect, and they are discriminating against metal detectorists and duty bound to provide a place to detect.
I would dearly love to know more about this law eg name date passed etc etc so i can go into my council and give them the info as im just being boomeranged around from different departments only to be be told that because they have never heard of it they cant help!!!

thanks in advance
email [email protected]
Xp Deus 11"coil /AT pro /pro pointer and a lot of enthusiasm
first roman bronze 25/8/1, first hammy 27/4/15 Henry 3rd penny 1216-1272

cheeseaddict

Post by cheeseaddict » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:21 pm

Contacted my local council yesterday-waiting for the NO now!

craghopper

Post by craghopper » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:52 pm

How about compiling a list of councils that say no to detecting then people will not waste their time trying to get permission ,we will never win they can ban what they like no one will challenge them through the legal system due to cost ,even if you win the council can say yes you can detect but it will cost x number of pounds for a yearly permit which will be cost prohibitive.I will start the list but maybe it should start on fresh post.
Liverpool ---Halton---Warrington---St Helens---
Fisher F4/Viking V6
Roughneck shovel
Army folding shovel
Dobbies s/s spade
F I D member

craghopper

Post by craghopper » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:18 pm

TinCanMan wrote:I think it would be a far shorter list to compile a list of those that DO allow.

From *memory* so I might be wrong I recall a scheme at READING plus maybe 2 or 3 more, that's all I've ever heard of - the other 9854 ( exaggeration ) say No.
If you gave a list that do allow detecting people would come from other areas further afield and probably spoil it for others in their own council area .Imagine a carload of detectorists turning up at local park on a sunny weekend the council would soon ban detecting.
Fisher F4/Viking V6
Roughneck shovel
Army folding shovel
Dobbies s/s spade
F I D member

targets

Post by targets » Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:59 pm

take up the matter with your local councillor and when they raise it at a council meeting as they should , go along to the meeting to ensure you get a fair deal .public can go to meetings and they like the locals getting involved too
' hammys how i love ya, how i love ya my dear old hammys '

oldmasbroboy

Post by oldmasbroboy » Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:04 pm

[quote="RALLYMAKER"]Forget about it , it wont work , and where it has been allowed its been abused already

This is the case with Rotherham Council I phone them earlier this week and got the same response.

John
John

XP Deus
Garrett Pro Pointer

charwally06

Post by charwally06 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:48 pm

I also got a permission from council to metal detect on a playing field :-O I was so surprised when I got the e/ mail back was a quick reply too , I have had a quick root and I got some good signals,so heres hoping ::g .IF YOU DON'T ASK YOU DON'T KNOW ;) .
Owner of ace150 garrett md
owner of ace 250 garret md
garrett pro pinpointer,
home made sand scoop
and a lot of hope

Leggo

Council Permission

Post by Leggo » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:12 am

Has anybody had any luck gaining permission with their local District/County Council?

I contacted Warwickshire County and District Council with regards to gaining permission on Footpaths and Parks/recreation but was told it was a no go.

I have read that some Councils allow permission... But why is it one rule for one county and a different rule for another? (Jeez, I sound like a spoilt kid lol)

Any thoughts?

BIG G

Re: Council Permission

Post by BIG G » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:40 am

Some councils will give permission as long as you do not dig any holes.doh (:| (:| (:|
WHITES SPECTRA V3I.10DD.6X10DD ,WHITE 12X10 S.E.F.COILS. GARRETT EURO ACE. GARRETT PRO POINTER.LESCHE DIGGING TOOL, XP-DEUS V 3.2 11''COIL. N.C.M.D Member.

Mega B

Post by Mega B » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:37 am

I think most council wont allow it due to Health and Safety issue so the easy option is just saying 'No' but its possible that some councils and i think you will find it is just a few that may allow you but they then tend to have a small print clause or some other legal technically cope out clause like some one has mentioned they do allow you to detect but you cannot dig holes so its the clause that gets them out of all the possible insurance claims and Health and Safety potential problems.

So its highly un-likely that anyone would be able to get around all the red tape that councils have in place ::g

gez44

Post by gez44 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:07 pm

I`ve had a bit of luck with my local parish council, gave me a few areas of common land including our local ponds. Actually found them to be very approachable.
Xp Deus
Black ada sod buster
Garrett pro pointer

E-Trac Paul

Post by E-Trac Paul » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:15 pm

At least some of you got a no.

I got passed from person to person. In the end told to send e-mail with details. Guess what? Never got a single response! Sent E-mail three times at different times of year. Thought maybe a change of staff might spark a response but alas nothing!

Now that is good service for my poll tax payments! If I ran my business like councils run their 'territories' I would of been bankrupt years ago :-/

Common sense is not so common.

targets

Post by targets » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:20 pm

could be theyre BSing you .first check in the council bye laws to establish if there is any ban on such activities .if there isnt then you are not breaking any laws and theyre having a laugh .
and theres nowt they can do .

E-Trac Paul

Post by E-Trac Paul » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:28 pm

Do council by laws cover the whole borough?
I did read somewhere that villages within a borough can have their own rules.
Don't think i will ring the council to try and find out. They do not seem the brightest bulbs in the pack :D

Common sense is not so common.

targets

Post by targets » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:39 pm

these things have to be written down somewhere they just cant go riding roughshod over anyone they feel like ,thats british history for you inc magna carta ,where they established long ago that any detectorist shall be able to detect anywhere he feels like without hindrance ,by order of the assembled of the time.
err we dont live in a police state where you can be down trodden by anyone who feels like it .
council bye laws are all to be seen at the council offices where you live .if some jobsworth tells you otherwise stand up for your rights .
demand proof of the law that you are allegedly contravening .
if its agin the byelaws to dig a small hole and detect where is the proof ?

GordonJ

Post by GordonJ » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:00 pm

I am currently applying for permission to detect on one of my local councils property, they even sent me a form to apply on. ::g Keep trying speak to the parks people as first POC.

Each application has to go under the nose of the FLO, Estates office, county archaeologist and head of valuation and estates and may take 2 weeks or more. I won't be allowed anywhere archaeological or environmentally significant, but that can still leave lots of areas, parks, council farms etc.
Follow up with a FOI request (different department) to find out which land the council owns as you can't find out any other way easily and Bob's your mothers brother.
After all that if approved, they will then give permission for a month at a time and allow you to re-apply again a month later. :-w It's a long winded bureaucratic process but beat them at their own game, follow the rules and highlight the £10M liability insurance from the NCMD so they are not responsible ifsomeone falls in your holes.

Good luck X:)
Deus v3.2 and Pro Pointer
Backup - Garrett Euro Ace

GREGGOWREX

Post by GREGGOWREX » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:35 pm

Great info gordon ::g ::g ::g
If I was to live to over 300 years old , would I end up in a museum ?
Euro tek pro 11inch coil
The early bird gets the worm , The second mouse GETS the cheese ;)

oldmasbroboy

Post by oldmasbroboy » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:57 am

Below is the reply I recieved back from one local council I have wrote to, still waiting to here from three more

"Hi John,
We have allowed groups in the past to metal detect and unfortunately they haven’t always filled in the holes leaving trip hazards for members of the public which has left a grey area when it comes to liability. Therefore we came to a decision not to allow metal detecting on any of our land. I am sure your group wouldn’t allow this to happen but because of previous groups we had to come up with this decision."
John

XP Deus
Garrett Pro Pointer

FileyLad

Post by FileyLad » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:15 am

I attempted permission at my county council and was accepted as a test subject. So basically all you can do is ask! Getting a list of council owned land however is another subject! He He
XP GMP, WS2 and a SPADE!

Post by 52747 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:09 pm

Just sent off my request and await my big fat no. lol.

I've offered to donate anything of historical interest to the local museum.

Seems insane for items to just sit in the ground !
Garrett Ace 250 (waiting for the Deus V3)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Various digging tools
Garrett Beach Scoop

oldmasbroboy

Post by oldmasbroboy » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:01 pm

Got two replies back today ,

;;z The policy of Metal Detecting on council owned land was adopted at a meeting held on 11th September 1978 and such stated that "TREASURE SEEKERS be not alowed to use metal detectors on land controlled by the council .
The policy was reviewed ion 27th November 1996 and upheld.
Deliberate removal of any portable antiquity is prohibited

In a nutshell No

::g ::g :D :D Metal detecting is allowed on council land by way of a permit for 12 months application form included in email and permit applied for ::g ::g ::g :D :D :D :D :D

If Carlberg did councils this is how they would make them ::g ::g
John

XP Deus
Garrett Pro Pointer

targets

Post by targets » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:33 pm

lets break this down into its parts .
you swing an electronic gizmo over council land ,is that banned ?
its the digging of the holes that presumably they dont like.
and taking away something you found underground.

so its the digging of holes thats important not swinging a machine .
does it state about not digging holes ?

hihosilver

Post by hihosilver » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:38 pm

I would assume that if 'treasure seeking' or 'metal detecting' is banned then even swinging your coil over the land is illegal, regardless if you dig or not.
Current setup:
XP Deus v2.0, MINELAB Equinox 800 v1.7.5, GARRETT Pro-Pointer
MD'ing since Sept '11

Looking for a friendly club in the Bristol and Somerset area? Contact us at:
www.wessexsearchers.club

Return to “Permissions Forum”