Council Permission

Please post all topics here related to the research and gaining finding permission to metal detect.
liamnolan
Location: Hemswell, Lincolnshire. originally from Dublin, southern Ireland

Re: Council Permission

Post by liamnolan » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:40 pm

I think you will find that bit is covered by the laws regarding not damaging land and digging holes falls into that category ... unfortunately :(
We had some topics way back regarding footpaths and the hole digging scenario was discussed.
"Just looking for my lost car keys Guv, will be lying right on the surface somewhere .. spade? thats for shovelling up all that nasty dog too that is on the footpaths, no thanks necessary"
Liam =))

Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and decisions we waited too long to make .. Spokesperson Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS Vice President European Council for Metal Detecting

oldmasbroboy

Post by oldmasbroboy » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:49 pm

I should have made my last post more clearly, the last part is from the 2nd reply from a different council and thats a yes :D :D :D :D :D :D by way of permit. I have asked for a list or map of the areas I can detect, they ask that I fill all holes and adhere to the National Code and that parks , sports field and cultivated land is prohibited, so maybe some woodland or scrub land ?
John

XP Deus
Garrett Pro Pointer

liamnolan
Location: Hemswell, Lincolnshire. originally from Dublin, southern Ireland

Post by liamnolan » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:00 pm

Great result, well done, Liam ::g ::g
Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and decisions we waited too long to make .. Spokesperson Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS Vice President European Council for Metal Detecting

Captain Wiggles

Re: Permission for Park / Council

Post by Captain Wiggles » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:01 pm

Rodi££ian wrote:I had a refusal from my council on Thursday, reason: To allow you would create a president and then we would be at risk of damage by others to public areas. We do not allow detectorists to detect on council land.
I replied again asking permission stating that I was not interested in parks as it was unlikely to yeild the historic relics which I was interested in, it was the agricultural land which they owned (which is many acres). The reply was a to repeat the point 'we do not allow metal detecting on council owned land.'
Another to add to the list.
Who paid for the Land owned by the council ???? Is it Taxpayers money ?? Is the council a seperate business or private organisation... The Taxpayer elect a council to represent US, they take our money and buy whatever....is that what ever now belong to the Taxpayer Not the people who sit in the Council building.....

Rant And Rant again...!!!!

Post by 52747 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:06 pm

They never ever bothered to reply to my e mail.
Garrett Ace 250 (waiting for the Deus V3)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Various digging tools
Garrett Beach Scoop

egon999

Post by egon999 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:19 am

Detectorist digs hole on council land, finds old coin, fills in hole (more or less) and goes home. 2 days later Mrs cannybody walks her dog over the same land, puts foot in hole and breaks her ankle. Before the plaster is even set on her cast she is onto 'claims direct' who try to prove the council is in some way responsible as it was their land she was on. Someone lets slip the council permit detectorists to dig holes (with no council checking to make sure the holes are filled properly). Claims direct unable to pin a random hole to a particular detectorist so they gun for the council (who were complicit in the hole digging by allowing it) and they are forced to pay compensation.

Option 1 for council in the future: Say no to detectorists as a safeguard against (possible) future claims.
Cost to council: Price of a letter or email

Option 2 for council in the future: Let detectorists dig on council land
Cost to council: £££££ potentially

Cardiff council forked out nearly £800,000 in claims over the last 3 years.
I don't agree with it but you can see where they are coming from, especially when companies put adverts out like this
http://www.councilclaims.co.uk/pavement ... ion-claim/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Its not for parkland but I'd imagine the principle is the same?

A blanket "NO" policy is easier for them
Veni Vidi Detecti!

hihosilver

Post by hihosilver » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:39 am

I understood that is the case before you spelled it out very well for everyone in the post above egon, but in the example of my local park, they allow things like horses to gallop along the paths, which cuts them to pieces and that then makes the ground surface a hazardous area to walk on, looking like a rocky surface of Mars., They also allow amateur golfers on who take massive divots out with their swings and never replace the turf, and hit the balls around which can easily kill people.

These activities are allowed in the public park, along with many others I could mention, which are much more likely to cause a negligence case against the council surely, yet metal detecting is not allowed.

Just seems very daft to me.
Current setup:
XP Deus v2.0, MINELAB Equinox 800 v1.7.5, GARRETT Pro-Pointer
MD'ing since Sept '11

Looking for a friendly club in the Bristol and Somerset area? Contact us at:
www.wessexsearchers.club

Post by 52747 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:30 pm

I agree to be honest. People want to make claims left right and centre, and never think of the impact on other people. The reason so many things are no longer permitted and the country has gone health and safety mad is because of all these claims.

Food places even have to put warning notices on cups of coffee because of people drinking them then claiming for not bring warned that the drink would be hot !! Same with packets of nuts - "warning, may contain nuts". They have to state it in case some idiot with a nut allergy looking to make some money eats them on purpose.

The council isn't really to blame. Those to blame are the people who tripped over on council land and claimed. Often on purpose. These things used to be considered just an unfortunate accident. Now though the culture to sue everyone for anything they can is getting as bad as it is in the US.
Garrett Pro Pointer
Various digging tools
Garrett Beach Scoop

Biglewey

Post by Biglewey » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:43 pm

Slightly off topic but akin to the may contain nuts I remeber getting Calpol (infant paracetamol) and I joke not that it warned may cause drowsiness and the person should not drive or operate machinery - Red Tape madness i dont whether to put :)) :)) or >:P >:P >:P
CTX 3030 and Garrett Pro-Pointer. Garrett ACE 250 and AT PRO as spare.

egon999

Post by egon999 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:49 am

hihosilver wrote:I understood that is the case before you spelled it out very well for everyone in the post above egon, but in the example of my local park, they allow things like horses to gallop along the paths, which cuts them to pieces and that then makes the ground surface a hazardous area to walk on, looking like a rocky surface of Mars., They also allow amateur golfers on who take massive divots out with their swings and never replace the turf, and hit the balls around which can easily kill people.

These activities are allowed in the public park, along with many others I could mention, which are much more likely to cause a negligence case against the council surely, yet metal detecting is not allowed.

Just seems very daft to me.
Fair point. I think someone on the forum a while back suggested that the council's argument was that the damage caused by horse riding, football etc was incidental to the sports being played but digging was deliberate damage to the park.......end result was the same though and we fill in the holes we make. :-/

I spoke to a local authority a while back to make sure they were ok with beach detecting, and the man I spoke to was concerned that i didn't leave unfilled holes? I'd think that Kids digging moats for sandcastles would leave bigger holes. Perhaps its peoples perception of our "digging" thats the problem. The holes we dig are quite small and easy to backfill but maybe people imagine we all dig waist deep trenches when we retrieve targets?
Veni Vidi Detecti!

Dave8472

Post by Dave8472 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:53 pm

Not my artwork, but think this has something to do with the councils view :-O

Minelab CTX3030 : 17", 11", 6" Coils
Minelab Equinox 800 : 15", 11" Coils
XP Deus V3.2 - WS5 : 9" Coil
Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Garmin eTrex 20 GPS

Post by 52747 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:28 pm

Lol !
Finally got a reply from ONE of the councils I wrote to ages ago, but not the most recent one ! You can detect, but only if you pay a huge amount of money for a permit. Plus each site request has to be individually approved ! Oh and they wont tell you what's council owned and what isn't. You have to ask for each intended location ! So you could potentially be paying a lot of moneyand then end up with one tiny field to play on.
Garrett Pro Pointer
Various digging tools
Garrett Beach Scoop

midas
Location: Junction27.M62.Nr LEEDS.W.Yorks.Ex Hunmanby.E.Yorks

Post by midas » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:19 pm

Bear in mind !a lot of the land termed council land, is not owned by the council!.Only administered by them!Most of it was givento the "Public for their pleasure and entertainment!""
SurelyIif there isnt a bye law forbidding metal Detecting,then its allowed.
Same old MIDAS,Just been resurrected!!
.Living for the moment,Digging up the past,For the future to see!.

egon999

Post by egon999 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:21 am

Dave8472 wrote:Not my artwork, but think this has something to do with the councils view :-O

=)) =)) =)) =))
Ha ha, brilliant!
Veni Vidi Detecti!

chesters4

Post by chesters4 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:29 pm

midas wrote:Bear in mind !a lot of the land termed council land, is not owned by the council!.Only administered by them!Most of it was givento the "Public for their pleasure and entertainment!""
SurelyIif there isnt a bye law forbidding metal Detecting,then its allowed.
The village council banned angling on the river ,i was challenged once and told them the land was left to the village for the enjoyment of the villagers ,i am enjoying angling and i am a villager ,never was challenged again ,i expect after they consulted the deeds of the land ;)
I have now got a permission that has a couple of hundred yards of bank ,i wonder if they will challenge me if i detect in the owners side of the river bed :))

I once tangled with a "official" from the local council detecting on council land ,he said they have now the power to prosecute me under some turf cutting law ,i pointed out i was in the bed of a pond that was being dredged and could he show me to the turf ,he left!

The council forget its not their land its ours and they forget theres a vast difference digging small holes in vast tracts of scrub and digging holes in pristine sbowcase parks ,unfortunately some detectorists forget as well ,if all you attract is robins and leave no trace you have been there then the council should ok it but all they see are bad deterorists traces and make their mind up on that
Last edited by chesters4 on Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.

lardbelly

Post by lardbelly » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:41 pm

Do councils have to pass legislation to ban MD'ing ? A local council that i had a run in with (about 15 years ago) ended up with them just putting a rather large sign up banning MD'ing. When i attended the next meeting it turned out that that was illegal (putting up the sign). I've been out of the hobby for a while so don't know if the law has changed.
Teknetics T2 SE with 15" NEL Attack and 13" Detech Ultimate and the diddy 5"
G2+ with the Cors Cannon
2017 Top finds
1. George III 3 Shilling Bank Token
2. Mary Groat
3. Henry II Tealby penny

chesters4

Post by chesters4 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:58 pm

lardbelly wrote:Do councils have to pass legislation to ban MD'ing ? A local council that i had a run in with (about 15 years ago) ended up with them just putting a rather large sign up banning MD'ing. When i attended the next meeting it turned out that that was illegal (putting up the sign). I've been out of the hobby for a while so don't know if the law has changed.
Unfortunately they can do pretty much anything they like byelaw wise but the biggest problem is finding someone that actually knows the law rather than thinks they know what the law is,its far easier just to say no and usually not be challenged than look it all up and decide yes ,then theres the power thing where poorly paid officials just say no because they can ,i call it the fluorescent yellow coat brigade its magical garb gives power to those that wear it who otherwise would command no respect at all without it ,you see them at car boots hollering when a car is 5 inches out of line :D

midas
Location: Junction27.M62.Nr LEEDS.W.Yorks.Ex Hunmanby.E.Yorks

Post by midas » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:36 pm

Hear,Hear, ::g ::g Chester most of these people are "jobs worths".and as you say if you've done your research,and challenge them.they go away.
I found as a villager I (anothers) were entittled to graze 5 sheep,each, on our village moor.
That would have greatly restricted some of the things they had planned for it!
They also found the didn't own it either. :-O :-O
Same old MIDAS,Just been resurrected!!
.Living for the moment,Digging up the past,For the future to see!.

DAVYBFAST

Post by DAVYBFAST » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:17 pm

hi guy

i cant remember were i heard this os if the hi iq people on the site could find any info might be good for us all.

i heard the all uk councils have to provide a space for people and groups to do hobbies and out side activitys. and this is eu law.

i dont know were you would go to look up the law for this. but if any one finds out i will buy them a short. b;>

STIG

A draft Email for council permission needed !

Post by STIG » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:59 am

Hi all, would anyone have a copy / draft of an Email which they've sent to a council asking for permission !, and which branch of the council would you send it too !!!. Thanks in advance. . ::g
Dirige Deus Gressus Meos. ' May the Lord Direct my Steps '

Etrac and Tons of Gear

Gold = 1
Silver = 14
Hammered = 1
Bronze = 1 Ring
Copper = 132 Coins
Musket Balls = 53
Bag Seals = 23
Artefacts = 7
Jetons = 1

zxadi

Post by zxadi » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:01 pm

I just sent a email to the ipswich bough council ( parks and open spaces dept ) and was turned down FLAT ;;z
WHITES DFX
whites gt headphones.
garrett pro pointer.
long handle SS SAND SCOOP.
draper mini shovel
flask & a understanding wife.
[/color]
NCMD MEMBER
beep beep, smile, dig , darn ring pulls.

STIG

Post by STIG » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:54 pm

zxadi wrote:I just sent a email to the ipswich bough council ( parks and open spaces dept ) and was turned down FLAT ;;z
Thank you, I'll have a go and contact the parks and gardens dept. ::g

Etrac and Tons of Gear

Gold = 1
Silver = 14
Hammered = 1
Bronze = 1 Ring
Copper = 132 Coins
Musket Balls = 53
Bag Seals = 23
Artefacts = 7
Jetons = 1

targets

Post by targets » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:38 pm

a lot of these people are 'jobsworths' talking out their rear end ,so stand you ground and ask to see relevent bye laws that affect the situation .contact your local councillor for clarification and if you are involved with a 'jobsworth' invoke that you will contact your local councillor .you are entitled to go to council meetings where you can raise the issue ,in front of all the councillors for a honest opinion from all there .they cant bluff you and will have to give an honest reply !

its possible you can get free legal help to go with you if you ask a studying solicitor or lawyer who might need the experience .
there is a free helpline somewhere but cant find it right now ..
::g
' hammys how i love ya, how i love ya my dear old hammys '

STIG

Post by STIG » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:25 pm

targets wrote:a lot of these people are 'jobsworths' talking out their rear end ,so stand you ground and ask to see relevent bye laws that affect the situation .contact your local councillor for clarification and if you are involved with a 'jobsworth' invoke that you will contact your local councillor .you are entitled to go to council meetings where you can raise the issue ,in front of all the councillors for a honest opinion from all there .they cant bluff you and will have to give an honest reply !

its possible you can get free legal help to go with you if you ask a studying solicitor or lawyer who might need the experience .
there is a free helpline somewhere but cant find it right now ..
::g

Cheers for that mate, that is very informative and will give it a go. . . ::g

Etrac and Tons of Gear

Gold = 1
Silver = 14
Hammered = 1
Bronze = 1 Ring
Copper = 132 Coins
Musket Balls = 53
Bag Seals = 23
Artefacts = 7
Jetons = 1

THE MOLE

Post by THE MOLE » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:26 pm

if they dont have bylaws already inplace and they say no get in contact with your mp, i did it took about 4 weeks and a million emails to sort out but i can now go on council land and detect but they do expect me not to dig the lawns and flowers in the local parks. every department in the council i emailed just gave me a direct no without reason. unfortunaly that wasnt good enough fo me i had to keep pushing it ;)

so dont give up

tm
Just using the Force Image

THE MOLE

Post by THE MOLE » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:28 pm

just to add to that, that dosent mean everybody around here can do it they still have to ask themselfs but i have an email giving me permission from my mp

tm
Just using the Force Image

STIG

Turned down by my local council.

Post by STIG » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:05 pm

Asked my local council if i could detect on an overgrown unattended footpath next to my home and this was their reply. :(

Hi Alan,

I have received your query about metal detecting permission.

Unfortunately the Council cannot grant permission to metal detect as the Open Space Byelaw states that a person shall not remove or displace any soil turf or plant.

Regards.

Etrac and Tons of Gear

Gold = 1
Silver = 14
Hammered = 1
Bronze = 1 Ring
Copper = 132 Coins
Musket Balls = 53
Bag Seals = 23
Artefacts = 7
Jetons = 1

Kmarsh

Re: Turned down by my local council.

Post by Kmarsh » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:10 pm

Wonder if that includes their own gardeners...... :-/
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro.
Makro Racer.
Minelab Excalibur.

Jabber

Post by Jabber » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:16 pm

.....and horse riders and mountain bikers and fishermen and moles and others.......

E-Trac Paul

Post by E-Trac Paul » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:19 pm

Im afraid the UK now seems a health and safety and jobs worth capital of the world.
Gone are the days where a little compasion, intellegence or whatever would prevail.
Sorry but computer says no..........
Sad really! But at least you got a reply ::g I am still waiting what going on 8 years now and nothing =)) =)) =))

Common sense is not so common.

Return to “Permissions Forum”