Council Permission

Please post all topics here related to the research and gaining finding permission to metal detect.
Mega B

Re: Turned down by my local council.

Post by Mega B » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:22 pm

With the possibilty of injury claims and other health and safety issues its alot easier for councils just to say 'no' we are all aware that the chance of anything happening is nearly zero but it only takes one to cause massive headaches for the council,saying no takes away all of those headaches.

STIG

Post by STIG » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:35 pm

E-Trac Paul wrote:Im afraid the UK now seems a health and safety and jobs worth capital of the world.
Gone are the days where a little compasion, intellegence or whatever would prevail.
Sorry but computer says no..........
Sad really! But at least you got a reply ::g I am still waiting what going on 8 years now and nothing =)) =)) =))
Only sent the Email a week ago, the lady that dealt with it was Tip Top. She actually gave me her number also, i'm going to request an appointment to see her and explain just how we only dig a hinged plug and then replace it back to as near as perfect. ::g .
Maybe a face to face might make a difference ! . . ;)

The path i want to detect on has been used over the centuries as a path only, part of it was used to display criminals who had been hanged and then placed in a Gibbet. People used to walk past and view the bodies on a daily basis alongside the path on their way to the farms every day. The grass is now really tufted and has never been cared for by anyone at all, apart from the dog walkers who frequent it and let their Mutts Crap all over it and Never pick it up, the council only ever spend time on the Tarmac when it needs a little patch now and again. ;;z .
Dirige Deus Gressus Meos. ' May the Lord Direct my Steps '

Etrac and Tons of Gear

Gold = 1
Silver = 14
Hammered = 1
Bronze = 1 Ring
Copper = 132 Coins
Musket Balls = 53
Bag Seals = 23
Artefacts = 7
Jetons = 1

targets

Post by targets » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:38 pm

in the early days of detecting you could go anywhere without all the jobsworths putting their oar in ..
' hammys how i love ya, how i love ya my dear old hammys '

Gwawrer

Post by Gwawrer » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:37 pm

Well Alan you got the same answer as most of us. I went after a council owned derelict farm that was up for sale and the answer was, that there was not enough land for metal detecting lol. So I went after another that was derelict and up for sale that was much bigger hahaha and the stock answer came out that they do not allow metal detecting on council land. I said that's ok I will wait until its sold and find the Cheshire hoard for the new owner =))
Its better out of the ground and in your hand for the history or monetary value rather than left in the ground to rot doing nothing for anyone.
Member of Cheshire Metal Detecting Society
In love with Mr Deus for ever.

STIG

Post by STIG » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:44 pm

Gwawrer wrote:Well Alan you got the same answer as most of us. I went after a council owned derelict farm that was up for sale and the answer was, that there was not enough land for metal detecting lol. So I went after another that was derelict and up for sale that was much bigger hahaha and the stock answer came out that they do not allow metal detecting on council land. I said that's ok I will wait until its sold and find the Cheshire hoard for the new owner =))
Evening Cupcake, i am going for an interview with the lady councillor this week, i'm going to explain my NCMD liability insurance and just how we detectorists operate.
I have along with a friend now gained 2 BIG farm permissions :D , we are going to go canvassing for some more next week :D :D , we detected just a little of one yesterday and he found his first silver ( sixpence 1925 ) and he was over the moon. ::g . Hope all is well with you lady, will keep you posted of our finds ok . . . ;)

Etrac and Tons of Gear

Gold = 1
Silver = 14
Hammered = 1
Bronze = 1 Ring
Copper = 132 Coins
Musket Balls = 53
Bag Seals = 23
Artefacts = 7
Jetons = 1

roddas

Post by roddas » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:56 pm

Geeza wrote:
E-Trac Paul wrote:Im afraid the UK now seems a health and safety and jobs worth capital of the world.
Gone are the days where a little compasion, intellegence or whatever would prevail.
Sorry but computer says no..........
Sad really! But at least you got a reply ::g I am still waiting what going on 8 years now and nothing =)) =)) =))
Only sent the Email a week ago, the lady that dealt with it was Tip Top. She actually gave me her number also, i'm going to request an appointment to see her and explain just how we only dig a hinged plug and then replace it back to as near as perfect. ::g .
Maybe a face to face might make a difference ! . . ;)

The path i want to detect on has been used over the centuries as a path only, part of it was used to display criminals who had been hanged and then placed in a Gibbet. People used to walk past and view the bodies on a daily basis alongside the path on their way to the farms every day. The grass is now really tufted and has never been cared for by anyone at all, apart from the dog walkers who frequent it and let their Mutts Crap all over it and Never pick it up, the council only ever spend time on the Tarmac when it needs a little patch now and again. ;;z .
I too have tried to gain permission to detect on council property and have had the same probs.
I have now dismissed the idea of councils. I can understand though the problems the council have.
If they were to give you permission and someone, a member of the public were to trip break a leg whatever, they would sue the council - so much easier to say no from the start. Would you take up the offer if the council said you would be personally responsible for any claims arising from 'detector holes' ? Another angle is that if your seen detecting/digging on council property it gives the idea that anyone can do the same, a free for all. So much easier to stick to private farm permissions
Will today be THE day ?
Tesoro Cibola
Garrett Pro-Pointer

Monkeyman101

Post by Monkeyman101 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:58 pm

i am wondering when i can ever use my new detector, as everybody is saying no ;;z ;;z ;;z
XP DEUS v4 with 11 inch coil

liamnolan
Location: Hemswell, Lincolnshire. originally from Dublin, southern Ireland

Post by liamnolan » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:03 pm

Its the same story in MOST areas but some members on here have had some success with their local councils and its a good idea for you to go and chat. Unfortunately we follow in the footsteps of many nutters who have caused damage and distress when acting stupidly with their detectors, so the councils just give a default "NO" as that is easier for them to adopt.
Good luck with your meeting, its a very hot debate and the ones who succeeed seem to be those who don't blow a fuse and quietly explain their reasons and agree to the conditions.
I could go on all night, but remain positive and friendly and hope for the best. The longer you chat, the better your chances, Liam ::g :;@
Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and the decisions we waited too long to make .. Secretary Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS Vice President European Council for Metal Detecting

mathewbarrett

Post by mathewbarrett » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:09 pm

I had luck with a parish council somewhat near to me. Spoke to the clerk first, who advised me to write a letter for the whole council to consider at their next meeting. In the letter I quoted the entirety of the NCMD bylaws, and included a scanned copy of the front and back of my membership card. The council took up the issue and then forwarded my letter to a local sports & recreation committee as well as a local wildlife group for their input. Bottom line, 6 weeks later I got permission for about 10 more acres with the stipulation that I not dig in football pitches and that I not dig in wooded areas during nesting season. Needless to say, I am happy to oblige by those rules.
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett pinpointer
Evolution Spade
Evolution digging knife
Green Wellies

Gwawrer

Post by Gwawrer » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:02 pm

Hiya Alan so glad you got some farm land that's the way to go every time. If the truth be known they just don't like metal detectorists imagine if they let you detect and you found something and the amount of work that would cause all that paperwork! Those derelict farms I went after they just did not have an answer other than they don't allow metal detecting on the land, So they don't know why they just don't!

Did you know that the government stance on metal detecting in their rules is

The following comes from the "Communities and Local Government" website

Metal detectors

31. Local authorities may introduce byelaws to prohibit or restrict the use of metal detectors in pleasure grounds. Byelaws to prohibit the use of metal detectors may be appropriate in grounds requiring special protection, for example areas consisting of closely mown and carefully cultivated turf and flower beds or sites of archaeological botanical or scientific interest or areas much used by blind or disabled persons. However, a byelaw which prohibits the use of metal detectors in areas not in need of special protection or from all the grounds in a particular area may be seen as over-restrictive and unreasonable. The model byelaw can be adapted to provide for partial bans as necessary.

32. Where a local authority wishes to introduce a byelaw to restrict or prohibit the use of metal detectors in any ground, we consider that it should first consult any local metal detector clubs or a national body representing metal detector users, such as the National Council for Metal Detecting, 51 Hilltop Gardens, Denaby, Doncaster, DN12 4SA (website address: http://www.nmcd.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, telephone number: 01709 868521 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 01709 868521 end_of_the_skype_highlighting; e-mail: [email protected] e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it ). The Department for Culture, Media and Sport, Buildings, Monuments and Sites Division, 2-4 Cockspur Street, London SW1Y 5DH (Dr Roger Bland Tel 020 7211 2011 should also be consulted.

Cupcake ;)
Its better out of the ground and in your hand for the history or monetary value rather than left in the ground to rot doing nothing for anyone.
Member of Cheshire Metal Detecting Society
In love with Mr Deus for ever.

STIG

Post by STIG » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:45 am

Gwawrer wrote:Hiya Alan so glad you got some farm land that's the way to go every time. If the truth be known they just don't like metal detectorists imagine if they let you detect and you found something and the amount of work that would cause all that paperwork! Those derelict farms I went after they just did not have an answer other than they don't allow metal detecting on the land, So they don't know why they just don't!

Did you know that the government stance on metal detecting in their rules is

The following comes from the "Communities and Local Government" website

Metal detectors

31. Local authorities may introduce byelaws to prohibit or restrict the use of metal detectors in pleasure grounds. Byelaws to prohibit the use of metal detectors may be appropriate in grounds requiring special protection, for example areas consisting of closely mown and carefully cultivated turf and flower beds or sites of archaeological botanical or scientific interest or areas much used by blind or disabled persons. However, a byelaw which prohibits the use of metal detectors in areas not in need of special protection or from all the grounds in a particular area may be seen as over-restrictive and unreasonable. The model byelaw can be adapted to provide for partial bans as necessary.

32. Where a local authority wishes to introduce a byelaw to restrict or prohibit the use of metal detectors in any ground, we consider that it should first consult any local metal detector clubs or a national body representing metal detector users, such as the National Council for Metal Detecting, 51 Hilltop Gardens, Denaby, Doncaster, DN12 4SA (website address: http://www.nmcd.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, telephone number: 01709 868521 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 01709 868521 end_of_the_skype_highlighting; e-mail: [email protected] e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it ). The Department for Culture, Media and Sport, Buildings, Monuments and Sites Division, 2-4 Cockspur Street, London SW1Y 5DH (Dr Roger Bland Tel 020 7211 2011 should also be consulted.

Cupcake ;)
I'm a Geordie Chris :x| , WE don't give up very easily, i will take the Fight to them and ask for their reasons why !!! . . . You and I shall meet again Chris, on another field, in another battle. s;..

Even in Death i shall be seen detecting on Elysian Fields, when the wheat's in stubble and with Gods permission of course, I'll even take a spare detector and ask him to join me . . ;[

Etrac and Tons of Gear

Gold = 1
Silver = 14
Hammered = 1
Bronze = 1 Ring
Copper = 132 Coins
Musket Balls = 53
Bag Seals = 23
Artefacts = 7
Jetons = 1

clint

Post by clint » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:44 am

This subject does my head in!The reasons councils give are just rubbish.The thing is they go on about health and safety etc. when in fact they don`t practice what they preach.Go around any park/open space and you will find dog sh!te,litter,glass,syringes,******* etc...some or all of it no doubt.Now,for the councils to be hysterical and conscientious etc. none of this would exist.So why would they bother about a serious,insured,educated hobbyist?They state liability etc.We are/should be insured in this hobby so who`s liable?...Us!So,ask them-next time you go to the local park for a walk and you step in the dog`s eggs are they liable to replace/clean your shoes??Or your dog cut`s it foot on glass?This is going to be my next approach in seeking permission.I also have,after hours trawling through records ,minutes from two of the town hall meetings from a few years ago stating they allow responsible detecting which I found on the web.

regards

Clint
Etrac.13" Ultimate Coil.CP3 TT`s
8x6 sef
Euroace.
Deteknix Pointer,camo,oh yeah! ...does what it says on the box..
Garrett Propointer..ok...(now it's fixed!)
Jeff`s big tool!

Sterlingjob

Post by Sterlingjob » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:07 am

I was turned down due to liability insurance on a place i thought was bullet proof! I was told people shoot after hours and it could be a problem! I mean, if i turned up with a gun i could understand if they said no, but a detector?!

oliver

Re: Council Permission

Post by oliver » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:30 am

The only time we were given permission to search in Plymouth central park was for a two dig on the spot were the fair ::g :)) was held the club found tons if coins and other items all the modern coins were given over for charity. After the dig the council checked the site and said it was left in a good condition but there were no more digs allowed no reason was given have written to them for permission on there farm, sites but no go even after the tenet said i could go on so there you are. ;;z
Oliver
XP DEUS
MINELAB SOV GT with 13 ultimate DD coil
LASER B3
MUCK DIGGER SAND SCOOP
FLOATING SIEVE
PLASTIC SAND SHOVEL
CHEST WADERS
GARRET PROBE
EVOLUTIONS HAND TROWEL
GARRET PROBE WITH SHEATH

THE MOLE

Post by THE MOLE » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:44 pm

Jabber wrote:.....and horse riders and mountain bikers and fishermen and moles and others.......
dont bring me into it i had enough problems with my own council :D

tm
Just using the Force Image

Freddy2012

Re:Permission

Post by Freddy2012 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:05 pm

New to metal detecting but loving it. Only been able to do beach stuff at the moment. Have sent out 130 letters so far to all the farms in my area and beyond. 2 reply's saying no. 128 no reply's. Very frustrating ;;z

Obbyguy

Post by Obbyguy » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:28 pm

Here's a reply I just got from Southampton City Council... ;;z

Sent: Friday, April 12, 2013 10:18 PM
To:
Cc: Neighbourhood Services
Subject: FW: Metal Detecting in Southampton

Thank you for your enquiry concerning the use of a Metal Detector but unfortunately it is prohibited.

Please find below our policy in the use of Metal Detectors:

You are not allowed to use a metal detector or other similar device in our parks and green spaces. Digging disturbs natural habitats, areas of biodiversity, grass, trees, plants, animals, archaeological areas and sites of scientific interest and is therefore prohibited. You could be fined up to £20,000 for causing damage to a scheduled monument.

Regards

East District Parks & Street Cleansing Manager
Environment & Economy Directorate
Southampton City Council

WasrksDrew

Post by WasrksDrew » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:06 pm

I spoke to a local farmer, who said yes, no problem, but its a council farm.

So I got hold of the council. I went direct to the person in charge of smallholdings and agriculture.

The first reply was along the lines of 'You do know its all pasture don't you? I'll get back to you with an answer'. No answer came, so I left it 6 weeks, and emailed back. Explained why I want to do, how I will do it (including a very detailed explanation of how to dig a hole) and a bit about me.

Few days later I had an email with a rough agreement. Basically it was their standard form, with no details (location, length of time etc) filled in.

Week after, had one come through with all the details. Filled in my bits, sent it back with the cheque they wanted.

All sounds good, and I have permission for 1 month of detecting. It cost me £20. The farm has never been detected before. However, there terms are a bit strict:
Anything I find is owned by them, unless they say otherwise.
EVERYTHING I find, must be reported to the FLO (the FLO will love me :))
If any item found of monetry value is found, any share coming to me will only be decided after the find is discovered. (I know that sounds obvious, but what they are saying, is that they don't want to say I will get 50% or whatever, in the contract. They want the option to say yes or no I will get money, after they have seen the fine).
Plus various terms on entry, access, people, and any other activities.

Not great, but it gets me on a great site.

THE MOLE

Post by THE MOLE » Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:25 pm

dose the law not state the finder gets 50% im not cetain that agrement will stick about the less than 50% although im not 100% sure :-L

tm
Just using the Force Image

jumpin

Post by jumpin » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:53 pm

Hi Guys, new member here, I have read all the posts on the subject and it seems that different councils have different rules, I was wondering if anybody had contacted my council (Trafford Borough Council), and if so what was the reply?
Those that can, do, those that can't. talk about it

Garrett Infinium LS
Pro Find 25
Minelab CTX 3030

maxdecatt

Post by maxdecatt » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:35 am

I live in a village in Somerset which on a size scale of 1 to 10 would be about size 4.
Lots of large gardens still and many of the surrounding fields are individually owned by locals.
So I have leafleted (today) every house and farm. Something along the lines:

"Have you lost something precious in your garden / field?
Maybe jewellery or even a tool or a toy?
Let me run my metal detector over your ground and see if the lost item can be found.
It will cost you nothing, but if you support a local charity you could consider giving them an appropriate donation.
If 'buried' treasure is found then your rights are enshrined in law.
No damage done to your property, and for your and my peace of mind I am fully insured."

The village is trying to raise £5,000 to buy two defibrillators, so I am using that as my suggestion for a local charity they could donate to if the dig is successful.

To take that aspect further I have the 'defibrillator group' launching a scheme whereby locals pay the defibrillator group a minimum of £5 to register with them for me to pop around with the detector.

I think that if people know they are supporting a local charity raising money for a needed local project they will be more willing to invite me in.

Have also got the same appeal in the local monthly freebie that covers 18 local villages!
Costs me nothing as the freebie gives free coverage to any charity fund-raising activity!

This will also be my door into persuading the 18 local Parish Councils to let me check the ground they control.
The Parish councillors all live in the local communities and if they block me it will not do them any good come re-election time!

I hope to be busy!
I will let you know how it goes.

hihosilver

Post by hihosilver » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:31 pm

Well done Errol. Sounds like a great way to go about it. Makes me wish I lived in a village. ::g
Current setup:
XP Deus v2.0, GARRETT Pro-Pointer
MD'ing since Sept '11

Looking for a friendly club in the Bristol and Somerset area? Contact us at:
www.wessexsearchers.club

Rob the luthier

Post by Rob the luthier » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:58 am

After sending an email 3 times to my local council I finally get a reply saying yes with exception to scheduled monuments, for which I will have to apply for separate permission, no rules or scheduled time limits just a plain simple "YES" ::g from the archaeology officer and environment and infrastructure officer, I think it was the email I sent them that went down well... Still in shock as I was expecting a big fat "NO"... ;;z

Liam78

Post by Liam78 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:25 pm

What is rules in Northern Ireland mind you haven't looked into it yet?

kingsbridge

Post by kingsbridge » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:25 pm

Just to let you know...as i work for many Parish councils in my Devon area you need to contact them first..they are the ones who have the right to say yes or no. The reason being they provide the funding for upkeep of local parish areas. They receive an annual amount of money from the county and EU for the parish pot.
Plus if you go via county council you will be sent on a wild goose chase with a big no. ::g

dougie12

Post by dougie12 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:47 pm

Got a reply from Gwynedd/Caernarfon council in regards to my request for permission to detect on parkland.The answer was no..not really surprised,but it was worth a try. Not enough staff to monitor detecting activity was the main reason given,which was understandable. So back to beaches I guess.....its probabley healthier and no need seeking permissions (other than crown permit) which is a pain anyway ,and some farms are charging fees ive been told in this area...and some clubs getting a monopoly on some land permissions and then making money out of club members......not had personal experience of this-just what ive been told...not that id ever join a club myself ,its more fun with a partner ,or on ones own in my opinion. :D
Garret 150( probabley the best of the 3)
Garret 350
Whites M6
Garret pro pointer(3 in 8 months,next 1 will be a cheaper model))

ed209

Post by ed209 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:20 pm

Hello all,

As I'm struggling to find any farmland around London, I decided to give a try with London councils.
Yeah I know most of them will reply a big fat no, still this is my only chance to do anything in London, except for Thames foreshore.

There we go 1st letter I sent was to my Council Wandsworth council.

Reply came 10 minutes later.

"Dear Adam

Thank you for your email
We cannot allow you to use a metal detector in the park as this would lead to digging in the park and this we cannot permit
Regards"

So how come that some Councils would give you a permit and some of them reply something like this?^
What do you think is there any way to argue with that?

Anyway next one is Merton Council.

ed209

Post by ed209 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:46 pm

Ask them to show you the specific byelaw that prohibits detecting. Could be worth showing them any damage done by football or even worn footpaths
Thanks,
exactly that's what I did.

Also Merton Council was very quick saying NO , but at least she was kind enough to give me other London Councils contact to try there.
I'll keep you posted.

housed

Post by housed » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:47 pm

definately worth contacting your local parish councils as oddly I've contacted my district council who say bugger off but then a local parish council say ok here's a licence. Unfortunately the parish council don't have a map of their land and i'm not sure if you can have parish council land and then district council land. it's all quite confusing but at least they're going to send me a licence for the parish council land so all i have to do is find what land they have lol.
http://theresponsibledetectorist.blogspot.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

housed

Post by housed » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:49 pm

i also think parish councils tend to be more human and less like 'officials' who just say no.
http://theresponsibledetectorist.blogspot.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Permissions Forum”