Council Permission

Please post all topics here related to the research and gaining permission to metal detect.
Asquith

Re: Council Permission

Post by Asquith » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:00 pm

Hi All,
So after reading about how members were not getting on approaching their councils I decided to have a go after all they can only say no in which case I would have gone to the parishes and tried again however I was utterly amazed to get this

Today at 11:04 AM

Hi xxxxxx

Thanks for your enquiry about metal detecting on Cornwall Council open land.

Cornwall Council does not have a formal policy on metal detecting on its countryside sites, but metal detecting enthusiasts are asked to follow the NCMD Code of Practice for Responsible Metal Detecting, hold appropriate public liability insurance, report any significant finds to the Council & leave the site as they found it (re-instating any holes they dig etc). Metal detecting is not permitted near any Scheduled Ancient Monuments.

Kind regards

xxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx

Countryside Officer (Information)

Environment Service

well impressed at that, just have to wait until mid november for my detector 98;

No Matter where you go, There you are

hihosilver

Post by hihosilver » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:19 pm

Does Cornwall council even own any land in the countryside? :-/ :)) I guess getting permission to actually detect on those sites would be the place they say 'no' to you perhaps.
Current setup:
XP Deus v2.0, GARRETT Pro-Pointer
MD'ing since Sept '11

Previous:
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett EuroAce, Minelab Sovereign GT, Minelab Etrac

www.wessexsearchers.club

slick63

Post by slick63 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:17 pm

Asquith wrote:Hi All,
So after reading about how members were not getting on approaching their councils I decided to have a go after all they can only say no in which case I would have gone to the parishes and tried again however I was utterly amazed to get this....
That`s quite interesting, now I just need to find out which land they own ::g
Garrett Ace 150, Garrett Pro Pointer

Drew

Post by Drew » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:08 pm

I got this reply from my local council.

XXXXX Council desires to protect the public lands administered by it from unnecessary damage which may arise through the careless action of some persons using metal detectors.

In not seeking a regulation to prohibit the use of any device designed or adapted for detecting or locating any metal or mineral in the ground it has been agreed with the local representatives of the National Council for Metal detecting that detectorists are allowed to pursue unimpeded provided they:-
• Make good any land disturbed.
• Not dig on cultivated grounds or formal sports areas.
• Except for treasure trove ( which means, any gold or silver in coin, plate or
bullion ) which is found hidden in the earth, any unusual ,uncommon or extraordinary object or objects, whether man-made or not, which is or are of historical or archaeological interest, including treasure trove which is found unattached on the surface of the earth),which is or are discovered on, at or under any of the sites covered by this agreement, must be reported to and handed to the Head of Parks and Cemeteries, xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, no later than 14 days from discovering the said object or objects, and the said object or objects will remain the lawful property of xxxxxxxxxxxx Council (the council) who will have all rights to deal with the property as the council sees fit.
• Treasure trove which is found hidden in the earth of any of the sites covered by this agreement must be reported immediately to xxxxx Constabulary, xxxxxxx Police Station, xxxxx.
• Comply with existing byelaws. Particular attention is drawn to the need to avoid damage by the indiscriminate parking of vehicles.
• Follow the code of Conduct of the National Council for Metal Detecting.
• Insure for Public Liability for £1,000,000 cover.
• Carry a certified copy of this agreement for the production on request to any Council representative to affirm the right of the person to be metal detecting on council land as specified on the attached schedule. A valid NCMD licence must be presented at the same time to make this agreement valid.
• This permit is only valid for the locations overleaf which have been approved.

On the application form it asks for locations required, so some investigation needs to be done as I doubt they would accept all.

But at least it wasn't a easy NO.
Everybody has to start somewhere.
ACE 250
Garrett Pro Pointer

Shufly

Post by Shufly » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:34 am

It is a very little known fact, but no councils anywhere in the land actually own any land,, They hold it in trust for the people of that parish, who hold it on trust for the Cathedral of that said county,, ,,They are elected by the people on behalf of the people, and for the benefit and upkeep of the Diocese of the Cathedral.., Fact,. !!!!

Owain 1405

Post by Owain 1405 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:13 am

Whilst it is true that Councils/local authorities technically don't own any land, in the eyes of the law they are the "Landowners" ::g
History is never black & white, just shades of grey

minorblue

Post by minorblue » Fri May 01, 2015 10:33 am

I sent my council an email ( said they reply within 5 days ) its been 2 months.
X Terra 705
Cs 3mx
G ace 150
garrett pro pointer
And a cheap spade from poundbuster bargain.

North west .

brummieade

Post by brummieade » Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:16 pm

Ive sat and read this whole thread and its amazing how varied local authoritys can be im in Birmingham and have emailed the parks department and bromsgrove council
NCMD Member
Garrett AT pro
Garrett AT pro pointer

djknight1974

Post by djknight1974 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:40 pm

I read on here somewhere that it may be better to approach some local Parish Councils for permissions..... Great advice!!!

I emailed 5 Parishes recently and been given 2 permissions... so a great return! No such luck with County Councils though.
Minelab 305
James II Halfpenny (Garrett Ace150)

sydneyhorn

Post by sydneyhorn » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:11 pm

Hi,

A newbie here with a newbie type question!

I have just been through my local council byelaws and can find no byelaw preventing metal detecting in the local parks. They are obviously aware of metal detecting as there are specific byelaws for some protected areas that are in the same council's area.

I know we want to protect the image of our hobby and I don't intend to hunt without specific permission but is that permission from the council anything more than a courtesy or is it a legal requirement? What law(s) does it come under if not byelaws and what are the punishments for infringements?

Apologies if this is an obvious or stupid question!

Cheers

Mike

beaubrummell

Post by beaubrummell » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:24 pm

Hi

Thought I'd bump your message back to the top as it needs a reply.

Read the attached, especially the first section headed 'Before you go metal detecting'. ::g

https://finds.org.uk/getinvolved/guides/codeofpractice" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Minelab Explorer II
SEF 12 x 10 coil
Deteknix Wader Li Xpointer
Lesche Digging Tool
AMES entrenching tool
Souped-up Spear & Jackson mini spade
Chefphones CP2 Black
Tomcat Dakota boots

gingerjar

Post by gingerjar » Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:11 pm

I e-mailed Breckland Council ( Norfolk) last Friday to ask about getting permission to Detect in my local area.. I did get a reply on Monday from them with a refusal. stating about 8/10 reasons why not.. health and safety, theft of artifacts. Insurance,. etc... I did also mail my Parish council in May of this year, I am still waiting for them to reply so I assume the answer is no also,

sydneyhorn

Post by sydneyhorn » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:23 pm

Thanks beaubrummell.

I think my post was badly worded. I have absolutely no intention of breaking the code of conduct regarding permissions or indeed any other way.

The council I live in (Worthing) has a history of being very variable when it comes to our hobby. Recently a beach warden was happily telling people that there was a byelaw preventing detecting on the beach. No such byelaw exists. In another post I found, someone was verbally told that they can detect in Worthing parks whereas others have had emails from council staff telling them they can't.

What I was thinking of doing is sending an email/letter to the council saying something like '...as you are aware, there are no byelaws preventing me from metal detecting in Worthing parks but I would like your permission to do so under the understanding that I will act in accordance with the National Metal Detecting Club code of conduct". I will add some details with a link and may be add that other councils have accepted this code of conduct.

I really get the impression that my council (and perhaps many others) really don't know what their own byelaws say or what good practice metal detecting is all about.

I was really asking if there are any overarching laws that prevent metal detecting in public parks (not SSSI) that the council can use to deny access or is it just a matter of luck as to who you ask? I was hoping by stating that there are no byelaws in our borough, and no other legal impediment, that it may push them into saying yes :)

beaubrummell

Post by beaubrummell » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:44 am

My council were reluctant until I mentioned that the government's own guidelines say that offering no land for the hobby is 'unreasonable'.

The government advice is as follows.

The following comes from the "Communities and Local Government" website

Metal detectors

31. Local authorities may introduce bye-laws to prohibit or restrict the use of metal detectors in pleasure grounds. Bye-laws to prohibit the use of metal detectors may be appropriate in grounds requiring special protection, for example areas consisting of closely mown and carefully cultivated turf and flower beds or sites of archaeological botanical or scientific interest or areas much used by blind or disabled persons. However, a bye-law which prohibits the use of metal detectors in areas not in need of special protection or from all the grounds in a particular area may be seen as over-restrictive and unreasonable.
Minelab Explorer II
SEF 12 x 10 coil
Lesche Digging Tool
AMES entrenching tool
Chefphones CP2 Black
Tomcat Dakota boots

hairyharry

Post by hairyharry » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:18 pm

Beau, could you pm me the website you found this on, also what type of draught you sent to the council, as i am trying to free up some abandoned farmland near me that is owned by the council but is without a tenant and has been for some years now.

HH
Graduated from the XP ADX 250 then the GMP and now on the Deus
Now paired with the Equinox 800

beaubrummell

Post by beaubrummell » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:40 pm

PM'd you HH. ::g
Minelab Explorer II
SEF 12 x 10 coil
Lesche Digging Tool
AMES entrenching tool
Chefphones CP2 Black
Tomcat Dakota boots

hairyharry

Post by hairyharry » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:57 pm

Thanks, you are a star, going to use this next time i have a chance to reply to the council.

thanks for your much needed help ::g ::g :D :D ::g ::g
HH
Graduated from the XP ADX 250 then the GMP and now on the Deus
Now paired with the Equinox 800

sydneyhorn

Post by sydneyhorn » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:47 pm

Thanks beau!

Those guidelines are very sensible. Hopefully my council will agree!

Trada

Post by Trada » Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:32 pm

Sent an Email last night to my town council, They won town council of the year the other week I will see if they live up to that.

fisheruk

Post by fisheruk » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:53 pm

I cant express in words how unhelpful Manchester City Council are.
Fisher F4.
Makro Racer.
Makro Pointer
Garrett Pro Pointer.
Lesche Raptor.
Draper mini spade.

drzac2003

Post by drzac2003 » Sun May 29, 2016 7:03 pm

As a newbie to this hobby, I wondered if someone could clarify for me....

Living in Southampton, would I need to contact Southampton City Council for permission or would I go to Hampshire County Council or both? And assuming I decided to detect in Winchester, would I need to ask their permission as well? Or would Hampshire cover all councils in the county?
Garrett Ace 300i
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Size 10 wellies

jcmaloney

Post by jcmaloney » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:50 am

Depends who owns the land....if its the County/City thats all you need. Council permission is NOT a carte blanche to go anywhere they own. ::g

Monkeyman101

Post by Monkeyman101 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:48 pm

hairyharry wrote:Beau, could you pm me the website you found this on, also what type of draught you sent to the council, as i am trying to free up some abandoned farmland near me that is owned by the council but is without a tenant and has been for some years now.

HH
Hi Beau,
I wonder if you would forward me a template letter that i could send to my council. I have tried many times, not even receiving a response. I wonder if my wording is not quite as successful as yours is.
Thanks
Monkeyman101
XP DEUS v4 with 11 inch coil

PaulWGC

Post by PaulWGC » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:29 pm

I have asked my local council it has been passed on to the permit department, don't hold out much hope but you never know.

Reading through the posts I still can't understand why there are so many body's against metal detecting. I have nothing against dog walkers but as a person with children I know how some dog owners are more of a health and safety risk than even the worst metal detectorist. But I don't see them being banned when they hospitalise children or don't clean up after themselfs.

I feel it's more because we are a minority than anything else.

Sharkeysend

Post by Sharkeysend » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:13 pm

My local council came back with this earlier today after I queried use on council owned land:
Thank you for your email. I have spoken to the head of service and he has advised your more than welcome to use your metal detector on council land however he has advised you cannot dig on the land.
... I think they missed the point :-L
"Who's the more foolish? The fool? Or the fool who follows him?"

oldartefact

Post by oldartefact » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:56 am

Sharkeysend wrote:My local council came back with this earlier today after I queried use on council owned land:
Thank you for your email. I have spoken to the head of service and he has advised your more than welcome to use your metal detector on council land however he has advised you cannot dig on the land.
... I think they missed the point :-L
Think I am right in saying that many councils have long standing by-laws that ban digging of any kind... but said councils dont have by-laws banning the use of metal detectors. Hence the seemingly perverse, though totally understandable, response from your council. You can wave your stick, but cant dig a hole!!! Welcome to metal detecting!!
Imagine there is no heaven, only sky above us.

geoman

Post by geoman » Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:33 am

Yes i have come across that one before ,but at least you can pick up the surface losses with no problem.

rob-greaves

Post by rob-greaves » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:18 am

Exactly the same in our Devon council. Their website states you are free to use a metal detector on council land, but you are prohibited from digging any targets.

92 both ways, and is that a glint of the edge of a Gold coin? Nah - I'd better leave it there x;

Cheers - Rob
XP Deus 11" - Remote - WS4
XPointer
Spade

NewDetectors

Post by NewDetectors » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:28 am

Has anyone had any luck in the Kent area? I've emailed a couple of local councils and will update with their response.

Koi

Post by Koi » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:16 pm

Hi
Do you still have the permission link, I want to contact my local council

Thank you

quote="beaubrummell"]My council were reluctant until I mentioned that the government's own g

uidelines say that offering no land for the hobby is 'unreasonable'.

The government advice is as follows.

The following comes from the "Communities and Local Government" website

Metal detectors

31. Local authorities may introduce bye-laws to prohibit or restrict the use of metal detectors in pleasure grounds. Bye-laws to prohibit the use of metal detectors may be appropriate in grounds requiring special protection, for example areas consisting of closely mown and carefully cultivated turf and flower beds or sites of archaeological botanical or scientific interest or areas much used by blind or disabled persons. However, a bye-law which prohibits the use of metal detectors in areas not in need of special protection or from all the grounds in a particular area may be seen as over-restrictive and unreasonable. [/quote]

Return to “Permissions”