Council Permission

Please post all topics here related to the research and gaining permission to metal detect.
pauline01

Council Permission

Post by pauline01 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:34 pm

I live in the Braintree area and some of the land around here is owned by Essex County Council. Does anyone know how approachable they are if I wanted permission to search on their land.
The same applies to Braintree District Council and Halstead Town Council how approachable are they. What about the villages who do you approach, there are some very old villages around Braintree we have Stisted, Bradwell, Coggeshall (I think its a village), Greenstead Green, Gosfield, Hedingham, Castle Hedingham and Yeldham. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ian

Re: Council Permission

Post by Ian » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:37 pm

I think you will find most if not all councils very unwilling to grant you permission as it leaves them wide open if anything happens on the land.

Ian
DOH! Detecting Our History

Teknetics T2....you know it makes sense

Vultan

Post by Vultan » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:44 pm

I've spoke with Essex CC before and they pretty much frown upon any detecting on their land...unless special circumstances i.e. archy digs etc...

Sorry to be bearer...
History is my religion!

pauline01

Post by pauline01 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:49 pm

Oh well I'll just continue where I am at the moment and maybe look for a kind farmer in the area.
Thanks for the advice

Ian

Post by Ian » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:52 pm

your best way in may be to find and befriend the local historical group. They may already have ties/contacts with the council at some level and just may be able to assist, but don't bank on it.

Ian
DOH! Detecting Our History

Teknetics T2....you know it makes sense

parky844

Post by parky844 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:59 pm

have a look here , http://www.essexcc.gov.uk/vip8/ecc/ECCW ... tOid=15667 from what ive read ,essex county council promote metal detecting ,doesnt say on there land ,on the right of the page in adobe format there is a bit on metal detecting there are some phone numbers too ,might be worth a look.

sparky1279

Post by sparky1279 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:13 pm

hi im just down the road from you if you in dunmow so if you ever want some 1 to team up with let me know

pauline01

Post by pauline01 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:57 pm

Hi all I have to say I am really very grateful for all your replies. You guys are angels. You really have put yourselves out to help me and I can promise you I am thankful for any advice you give. God what would we do without the internet. I read the ECC leaflet and now am a little worried about what I read. It says that anything you find belongs to the landowner. Does that mean I have to tell the landowner what I find each time and do I have to give it to them.
Some of the things I have found nobody would really want as they are purely rubbish or things like decimal coins, horseshoes etc.

Blackadder43

Post by Blackadder43 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:17 pm

Hi pauline.....i presume you have permission with your present landowner?
In which case i presume you have already spoken with him about anything you find?...

As for the ECC, then thats the same policy as the crown beach permits.....everything belongs to the crown (although i doubt they are going to bother you for a few decimal coins etc..)
Its kind of one of those laws thats written but would be nigh on impossible to implement.....

If they didnt have that law written and you found a hoard of priceless coins, then they would have no hold over it......
Its a common unwritten rule that detectorists and landowners split any rewards for historical finds 50/50.....providing all the t's are crossed and the i's dotted
When you are right no one remembers; when you are wrong no one forgets

rustynail

Post by rustynail » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:32 am

Hi Parky. that coucil you mention doesn't sound none too friendly to me, specially as the tel. number given is 999, and phone for the fuzz if you see anyone MDing, oh, and don't get too close, so as the fuzz can get there themselves to give the MDer a sound thrashing... Ooops! =)) =)) Okay, I did pick out those bits out of the whole pdf file, but it still doesn't seem too friendly. :)
Will I? Won't I? What kind of silly question is that?

Garrett Ace 250

pauline01

Post by pauline01 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:32 pm

Hi Blackadder, yes I have had permission from the Manager of the establishment. I have had lots of jokes from some of the employee's which I bet most of you have had at some time or another, jokes such as "if you find any treasure we can go halves". I knew about the rule about if you find treasure but didn't know about the actual law about it being everything you find. Oh well at least I know now. I will be sure to let the manager know if I find anything of value.
Thanks for the advice

manny

Post by manny » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:31 pm

carper84 wrote:Hello

I have tried with ECC not too long ago and they basicly said no chance. I'd try your local council though!

Good luck
Dorset is a complete blank.

They are happy for detectorists to show their finds and reveal find spots.... but give nothing in return in the way of permissions. One lad called them in (County Arch) to examine a site he'd searched for years and soon after was told he could not search there anymore having got to the farmer.

Personally I think Councils and detectors dont blend.

pearcher68

Post by pearcher68 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:53 pm

You may find that you get a different answer if you try the parish council ,ive managed to get there permision ,its handy to give referances and be active and known in the local comunity,so that may be worth a try!
Colin
X-TERRA 705 This is my weapon of mass detection
7.5 and 18.75 kHz coils
Pro Pointer

Dinger207

Post by Dinger207 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:36 pm

Hello Pauline,
I've only just seen this post, so don't know if you still detect. I live in Halstead but one of our parks is owned by Braintree Council. I phoned their parks dept when I started detecting 2 years ago and thy gave permission over the phone, followed by confirmation Email.
Whilst detecting I have been approached by the grass cutting staff, they were just curious as to what I'd found.

yokelron

Post by yokelron » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:04 pm

Down here in East Devon our council said you can detect on there land but cannot dig up anything.

Return to “Permissions”