Local council

Please post all topics here related to the research and gaining permission to metal detect.
knighty

Local council

Post by knighty » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:51 pm

Hello
I've sent a very nice email to my local council to see if they can help people like myself that struggle getting land permission, I filled them with all the information there is to know about MD
and this is the reply I got....I have to advise you that I am not able to agree to this for reasons of health and safety. :x|
I have reply back to this email but can anybody elaborate on this & what is the outcome going to be? ::g ;;z
Cheers Dave

dynamiteuk

Re: Local council

Post by dynamiteuk » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:07 pm

when i spoke to my local council i got the same response health and saftey
and also they said if they let one then every tom dick and harry with a detector
will be in the parks digging it up
so i no mine is definetly a no go zone but gl roy

Nailman

Post by Nailman » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:34 pm

After getting pestered by RNLI jobs worth life guards, I asked Scarborough council twice for clarification on beach detecting, no reply but if you miss you're poll tax or don't shut you're wheely bin lid.

As a kid I lived in Harrogate before it became full of wanna be credit card millionaires
A part of the stray 2000 acres of COMMON land hosted the fun fair circus etc, I used to go and metal detect.
But on a visit to a relative found out they've introduced a By law prohibiting the digging of holes
all those pound coins.

They are like MP's only out for themselves
Fisher F75 SE
Xp. Adventis 2
Chefphones CP3
Chefphones Cp2
Evoloution spade
Bad back
Experienced button digger

bazza1609

Post by bazza1609 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:18 am

Hi folks this is my reply from Rotherham Borough Council - short but not so sweet.

Good afternoon
I can confirm that Rotherham MBC does not allow the use of metal detectors on any land owned by the Council.

Regards
Andy Lee
Urban Green Spaces Manager
Streetpride
Environment & Development Services
Rotherham Metropolitan Borough Council

jumpin

Post by jumpin » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:10 pm

I think most official bodies use health and safety as a bog standard way of not committing to anything they don't understand. I think people should remind them just walking down a dodgy pavement with upended flags and pot holes is as dangerous
Those that can, do, those that can't. talk about it

Garrett Infinium LS
Pro Find 25
Minelab CTX 3030

sinclairuser

Post by sinclairuser » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:44 am

actually not digging common land is an ancient thing, its to stop digging flint, coal or anything else that can be quarried.
the sad thing is that relatively they are perfect in our area, practically zero archeology, what there is is mostly prehistoric and 3/4 of a metre down, but over a thousand years of dropped objects, perfect for our purposes but alas nada!.
i think we should forget local councils untill we get a change in westminster, as the present government will never enforce the eu directive regarding hobbies and pastimes.
a few tricks to try, parish councils are sometimes more receptive, if approached correctly fishing lakes and clubs can be very pro especially if you join or are a member.
in fact any hobbyist club that owns land is worth a try.
a carp complex my father fishes which i go to with him as he doesn't like going alone, allows me to detect their land(as long as i buy a ticket), basically for 3reasons:-
1 they have known us for years,
2 i remove discarded tackle and such,
3 and most important the field next to his is a known saxon site and as he says "you never know".
hope this helps.
hi all, finally back to full fitness, for those that dont know i had a bad bike crash last july and have been recovering
for those that did, thankyou for your kind words and encouragement.

charwally06

Post by charwally06 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:27 pm

I was told by my Devon county council that I may go to the local park BUT I cant dig or remove any stone from the ground as this is a safety issue 8-| . But dogs can go there and dig holes and they never fill them in 8-|
Owner of ace150 garrett md
owner of ace 250 garret md
garrett pro pinpointer,
home made sand scoop
and a lot of hope

Emrys

Post by Emrys » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:55 pm

Ask them for copies of the by laws stopping you from metal detecting
I am slowly making some headway with my local council as I asked them when I applied and they said they didn't have any bylaws and sent me the antiquities website for my ref lol but me being me wanted a letter stating I had permission just in case the police approached me and when I made an appointment with the guy in charge of grounds and maintainance he said he wasn't going to give permission for the simple reason fit hat he had never given permission in the 40 years he had been employed by the council !!!!
So when I showed him the emails from his colleagues saying there were not any bylaws then he got flustered and said I would have to appeal
So I'm busy getting information on other councils that allow permission already ( I've got a thread running already on this )
Good luck with your challenge
Keeley
Xp Deus 11"coil /AT pro /pro pointer and a lot of enthusiasm
first roman bronze 25/8/1, first hammy 27/4/15 Henry 3rd penny 1216-1272

Owain 1405

Post by Owain 1405 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:05 am

If you are trying to get council permission to detect I would say your first point of contact should be your local councillor. Have a chat with him/her get them to find out councils position on detecting and who is relevant person you should contact, he/she may even be able to raise issue at council meeting. If after contacting council and they say no, find out why. Councils have to follow the law, if they give you the old ' health & safety ' angle challenge them to produce the risk assessment forms etc that they should have produced, under the freedom of information act, you are legally entitled to see any council document. If there is a by-law ask to see it. Always challenge them to prove that they have followed correct procedures to implement bans. Don't accept that councils can ban anything just because they want to or don't like something. They have to follow correct procedures before implementing anything. Always ask for information in writing, you'd be amazed how often people will say no to your face, but when you ask for it in writing they wont commit themselves.
History is never black & white, just shades of grey

Owain 1405

Post by Owain 1405 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:21 am

Try to go as small as possible when seeking permission from councils. Try town, borough or village councils first. I have my eye on a recreation ground/playing field for which I aim to seek permission. At the entrance is the usual noticeboard for the county council, (doesn't mention metal detecting). However by reading through the minutes of the recent Town council meetings I found out that the Town council was responsible, as the land owner, for the erection of new fencing on the site not the County council. So I will be asking permission from town council.
History is never black & white, just shades of grey

Pilly

Post by Pilly » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:58 pm

bazza1609 wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:18 am
Hi folks this is my reply from Rotherham Borough Council - short but not so sweet.

Good afternoon
I can confirm that Rotherham MBC does not allow the use of metal detectors on any land owned by the Council.

Regards
Andy Lee
Urban Green Spaces Manager
Streetpride
Environment & Development Services
Rotherham Metropolitan Borough Council
Since this is also my local authority I will be approaching it for permission. Depending on the outcome I may then be requesting disclosure of any and all relevant legislation or case law that supports such a 'policy'. I doubt that a local authority could rely on a PSPO to enforce this.

liamnolan
Location: Hemswell, Lincolnshire. originally from Dublin, southern Ireland

Post by liamnolan » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:04 pm

There have been some Councils who have agreed to proper metal detecting, so if anyone on here has succeeded along those lines, please drop in and give some details. If it works for one Council then it might be a good argument to use when approaching others. The land belongs to the people and as long as we respect and take care of that land, there should not be any reason to stop responsible detecting, Liam ::g
PS - another similar topic running that needs reading - viewtopic.php?f=11&t=39565&start=560
Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and the decisions we waited too long to make .. Secretary Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS

Dinger207

Post by Dinger207 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:24 pm

My nearby park is owned by our district council, not the town council. I phoned the parks dept and got a yes immediately, just sent them an email giving my details, and kept the message on my phone in case of challenges.
The greenkeepers on mowers were only interested in what I had found and hadn't noticed any of my filled holes. Wished me luck.

Taslehoff

Post by Taslehoff » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:28 pm

Hi
This is the reply I had from Chorley Council.

After extensive consultation with colleagues, other local authorities and Yarrow Valley Advisory Group, it has been decided that we can't allow metal detecting on Council Land. This is for the following reasons:-

Issues of management – it is difficult to police/control where and what anyone might chose to do and to ensure any excavation is properly carried out, finds recorded and reported etc. Subsequently reinstatement is also a concern, for example future trip hazards as we don't have the resource to go and check everywhere.

It is advised that requests from groups could be approved if they were to carry out surveys and investigations rather than excavation. This would be for programmed professional investigations and under the terms of a formal Licence. For example LCC archaeological team monitoring investigations.

In sensitive areas of woodland or meadow it was pointed out that in terms of the ground flora unless people are sticking to footpaths, I wouldn't be a great idea until the spring flowering season / breeding season was over.

As it turns out the local historical society put a very big negative into the mix as well (so I was told later from someone within the Council).
Garrett 400i (for the wife)
Minelab CTX3030 (Mine, it's all mine ya hear)

Best find > Home after 15 pints of Guinness. x;

Return to “Permissions”