Metal Detectorist`s Code of Conduct

Please post all topics here related to the research and gaining permission to metal detect.
mrix
Founder

Post by mrix » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:49 pm

Hi all, here we have a code of conduct....
Its all pretty much common sense really but still very important none the less :)

1. Do not trespass. Always obtain permission first before venturing on to anyone`s land.

2. Respect the Country Code. Do not leave gates open, and do not damage crops or frighten animals.

3. Wherever the site, do not leave a mess or an unsafe surface for those who may follow. It is perfectly simple to extract a coin or other small object buried a few inches below the ground without digging a great hole. Use a suitable digging implement to cut a neat flap
(do not remove the plug of earth entirely from the ground), extract the object, reinstate the grass, sand or soil carefully, and even you will have difficulty in locating the find spot again.

4. If you discover any live ammunition or any lethal object such as an unexploded bomb or mine, do not disturb it. Mark the site carefully and report the find to the local police and landowner.

5. Help keep Britain tidy. Safely dispose of refuse you come across.

6. Report all unusual historical finds to the landowner.

7. Remember it is illegal for anyone to use a metal detector on a protected area (e.g. scheduled archaeological site, SSSI, or Ministry of Defence property) without permission from the appropriate authority.

8. Acquaint yourself with the definitions of the Treasure contained in the Treasure Act 1996 and its associated Code of Practice, making sure you understand your responsibilities.

9. Remember that when you are out with your metal detector you are an ambassador for our hobby. Do nothing that might give it a bad name.

10. Never miss an opportunity to explain your hobby to anyone who asks about it.

Blacklake

Re: Metal Detectorist`s Code of Conduct

Post by Blacklake » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:50 pm

Read this through a few times now and well worth remembering. ::g

mud-man-andy

Post by mud-man-andy » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:22 am

hi, as a new boy to metal detecting i wonder what the unofficial rules are regarding metal detecting? Let me clarify, i am shortly going to start detecting along the local beach, i know i have to get a permit, but in the interests of not stepping on others toes can you tell me if there is a protocol regarding detecting where others go too? i have seen a few other people along my stretch of beach and dont want to upset anyone, or is it everyone takes their chance sort of thing? many thanks - andy

tigtog

Post by tigtog » Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:20 pm

mud-man-andy wrote:hi, as a new boy to metal detecting i wonder what the unofficial rules are regarding metal detecting? Let me clarify, i am shortly going to start detecting along the local beach, i know i have to get a permit, but in the interests of not stepping on others toes can you tell me if there is a protocol regarding detecting where others go too? i have seen a few other people along my stretch of beach and dont want to upset anyone, or is it everyone takes their chance sort of thing? many thanks - andy

Good luck I fyou are allowed on the beach you choose, Go pretty much were you like.
Don't fall foul of the this is my bit of beach brigade.
xp deus

garrett pointer (2nd one) now a makro pointer no falsing
roughneck shovel (4th one) now use a sniper spade
jeff digger

landuse

Post by landuse » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:53 am

If you are allowed on the beach to detect, then go for it. Do not worry about other detectorists. They do not own the beach

roamingrob

Post by roamingrob » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:46 am

I go on a beach at least once a year while on holiday. Most of the local guys speak, or acknowledge me and we just keep out of each others way. But one guy does not like me being there, and shows it
But as said these people do not have an exclusive right. The beach I go to is council run so before I first went I e- mailed them to ask. They were delighted I have made the effort to ask, saying No problem good luck. over the next 4 years since I mail them and have built up a nice relationship. Remember one thing, most finds from any beach have been lost there by people visiting from other parts of the uk. So it is fair game.

So Mrix, Sorry, back on topic, our Code of conduct I show to my farmers as it has been endorsed by the N.F.U and many other bodies. it shows you are responsible and will respect their land. I print the code on the back of the search agreement. Seem to go down well here.

http://www.ncmd.co.uk/docs/CofP1.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ::g
Last edited by roamingrob on Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
XP Deus, 11" Coil & SW5 headphones
Garrett Ace 250
XP MI6 pin pointer
Hybrid Spade
" SEEK AND YE SHALL FIND"
FB page https://www.facebook.com/Roamingrob-Hig ... 069738277/

oldartefact

Post by oldartefact » Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:24 pm

mud-man-andy wrote:hi, as a new boy to metal detecting i wonder what the unofficial rules are regarding metal detecting? Let me clarify, i am shortly going to start detecting along the local beach, i know i have to get a permit, but in the interests of not stepping on others toes can you tell me if there is a protocol regarding detecting where others go too? i have seen a few other people along my stretch of beach and dont want to upset anyone, or is it everyone takes their chance sort of thing? many thanks - andy
I would say dont go too close to other tectorists ... be aware that you machine may cause interference with other peoples machines, even if your own machine is unaffected. Also its obviously polite not to cut across the path of an oncoming tectorist, and dont detect in areas that have been gridded out, and are being actively detected.
Imagine there is no heaven, only sky above us.

Return to “Permissions”