Detecting overseas - check before you go!

Only topics related to permissions being gained in Continental Europe and Ireland in this forum.
liamnolan
Location: Hemswell, Lincolnshire. originally from Dublin, southern Ireland

Detecting overseas - check before you go!

Post by liamnolan » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:47 am

As its the holiday season and many of the forum members will be traveling abroad, some with detectors, be very careful to check the detecting laws of the country to be visited. UK laws do not extend to foreign lands and you need to be fully aware as to what you are allowed to do. Getting it wrong may land you in very deep water, criminal conviction and equipment confiscated. We may or may not agree with foreign laws but we need to abide by them. Ignorance is no defence and you will enjoy your holiday time even more by knowing that you are detecting within the laws.
The Republic of Ireland does not allow detecting for items of archaeological interest and stay well aware from protected monuments as you face prosecution if you are found there with a detector, even if not using it! The Irish detectorists are very serious about policing the hobby themselves and they will not want any visitors causing embarrassment. The IMDS is campaigning hard in Ireland to have the detecting laws amended and we are making slow progress. The North of Ireland is ok for detecting but once again, get Googling and be fully aware.
As regards Spain, Portugal, France and elsewhere, we get many topics asking advice from those who have been there before and thats fine, but some replies tend to err on the "Well, I had no problems, you need to be careful, be discreet, go at certain times" and so on. Its either legal or illegal, and its no good appearing in court and quoting a forum reply that said it was ok to detect!
So, check things before you pack that detector, Liam :;@

Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and decisions we waited too long to make .. Spokesperson Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS Vice President European Council for Metal Detecting

beaubrummell

Re: Detecting overseas - check before you go!

Post by beaubrummell » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:51 am

Cheers for the good advice Liam ::g
E-Trac
Detech Ultimate
SEF 8x6
Deteknix Wader Li Xpointer
Lesche Digging Tool
AMES entrenching tool
Souped-up Spear & Jackson mini spade
Chefphones CP2 Black
Tomcat Dakota boots
NCMD membership number 13566

vespaman

Post by vespaman » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:11 am

maybe over sea's visitors to the uk can also check our laws before they arrive.
and the rules of removing an item of interest from our country before they leave.

lordofthecoils

Post by lordofthecoils » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:30 am

Great post liam.... Watch the film midnight express you might not want to risk any such happening.....ray. =P~

beachboy70

Post by beachboy70 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:37 am

Thats very good advice Liam, I have been going to Spain during the winter for many years now and for the last 4 years have taken a MD with me at first i had very different advice regarding permission it was only after getting pulled over that the truth hit me you need a permit and it can take ages to get like 2 months so going for 1- 2 weeks you have no chance to get one, so if you think you dont need one you could be in for a big shock ( wallet also ) . Regards to all Pedro

Rift

Post by Rift » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:38 am

Good post Liam

Maybe a thread could be started covering other Countries detecting laws and be made into a sticky ?
It would be useful for reference and easier to find than a forum search.

I asked about Egypt last year and was glad I did....no no no no no !

Rift ::g
Xp Deus 9" + 11"
Minefield CTX 3030..Boom Baby.

When I die dont let my Wife sell my detector for what she thinks I paid for it !

Danzigman

Post by Danzigman » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:25 am

Thanks for the post, and the support in other matters Liam..
Here is a link to most "way of doing" in other countries - http://www.ncmd.co.uk/law.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
XP DEUS. GPP VII. GARMIN etrex 20.
http://s1222.photobucket.com/user/Danzigman/library/

Resurgam

Post by Resurgam » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:40 am

Also, don't forget to pack your batteries securely in both your hand luggage and hold luggage. On a number of occasions batteries have been known to short out, with the potential of starting a fire. Once whilst removing a pair of batteries from a cycle lamp that had shorted out, the spring had become so hot it branded my thumb when I inadvertently touched it. ::g "ouch"
Garrett ProPointer + MineLab Safari + Quest Q40, and loads of determination.

liamnolan

Post by liamnolan » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:25 pm

Can someone send me a lot of money so that I can travel overseas and check things out for certain? I am willing to give up my valuable time (in summer) to get all the answers needed, would probably take me around 2 months and 10 countries, but its a hardhip that I am willing to suffer, Liam ::g
Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and decisions we waited too long to make .. Spokesperson Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS Vice President European Council for Metal Detecting

Resurgam

Post by Resurgam » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:18 pm

If I get six numbers up on the "Lotto", I will take you with me! :D

Albus

Post by Albus » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:56 pm

I detect a lot in France, on the beaches and Inland and have found that beach detecting is usually allowed after 6PM and before 10AM, except in winter when theres usually no problem

With land detecting, its a bit different. WWII Battle sites can get you arrested. And like most thing French the main laws are totally contradicted by local laws. I have found that so long as you have the landowners permission and the local Mayor if possible there is no problem as the police will generally ignore you. BUT you have to stay away from any archaeological sites. Same with woodland. The French are incredibly passionate about their hunting and dislike anything going on in a wood. They also have armed "forrestieres' who can be amazingly rude and rough. But there is enough farmland so stay away.
I would compare detecting in France to what it was in the UK in the mid 80's.
Contains some Mod's edits. Being open and honest is often not an easy route but always the best option in the end. Know and obey the local rules, Liam

beachboy70

Post by beachboy70 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:35 pm

Hi all. Every winter i go to Spain for a holiday and i take my MD , I have a Permit for the area i visit,the permit i have is in two parts part 1: is for a digging tool ( spade / trowel ) , part 2 : is for the detector, the permit only covers the beaches that they give you about 5 in total, Md away from the beach ( inland ) is banned and you can be in real trouble. The local council will tell you sometimes its ok to MD but you will have problems if caught as its not a local law that you are breaking. Last winter i was pulled over twice for papers i was miles from a road and 2 police came along on off road bikes they was ok as my permit covered the area i was in. As the security increases in holiday spots like Spain i expect more police will be checking permits / id papers . The beaches are patrolled by boats /helicopters and off road vehicles so you are being watched most of the time even in the very quiet spots.The permit is not easy to obtain you cannot apply online only in person ,the beaches you ask for does not mean that you will get them they decide what beaches they give you as sometimes they close a beach to MD for a few years. I have waited over 2 months before i had the permit in my hands so you don't know until then what beaches you have the permit for, so its not that easy to sort out. Spain is always looking at income so lots of extra money is coming in with fines as its easy income so MD without a permit if caught could be on there list, i hope this information is of help . HH Pedro

craftyace

Post by craftyace » Fri May 12, 2017 4:31 pm

Hi I am very new to MD.
Going on hold to Spain next month, thanks for info about permits, won't be taking me MD now. (:| ::g

Boandtia

Post by Boandtia » Fri May 12, 2017 4:45 pm

If you are going anywhere in the region of Valencia Spain (Benidorm for example) a new law came into force this year banning all detecting unless you have a permit. Even with a permit some beaches are out of bounds. Some detectorists have been stopped just this week, 4 apparently had their equipment confiscated and a buddy of mine was issued with a Denuncia and warned if he was caught again his equipment would be confiscated. You have been warned !!
HH
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Excalibur 11
Garrett AT Pro International
Garrett Sea Hunter MK 2
Garrett Propointer.
Makro Waterproof Pointer.
Flask of coffee / brandy
Plenty of fags
A lot of patience

amphora

Post by amphora » Fri May 12, 2017 5:13 pm

For those who want to go to the netherlands can ask me.
And if in the neighbourhood (southern) we can always try to go together (although almost everywere new crops seeded now so it will be an alternative).
Albus wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:56 pm
I detect a lot in France, on the beaches and Inland and have found that beach detecting is usually allowed after 6PM and before 10AM, except in winter when theres usually no problem
Not in Normandy. There it is highly forbidden. ;)
And inlands france you need permission by the local government too.
Last edited by amphora on Fri May 12, 2017 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Good luck hunting.
Disclaimer: If i give advices i talk from my personal perspective, and it is not to copy 1 on 1. I rely on everyone’s common sense. Everyone has to think himself about implementing it for himself and to consider legal circumstances.

liamnolan

Post by liamnolan » Sat May 13, 2017 10:25 am

Bully, that's a very generous offer, thank you.
We are approaching the summer holiday season and many of us will be packing a detector for a bit of beach or inland detecting. But we cannot take our detecting laws with us and ignorance of the local laws is no excuse if you end up in court.
The NCMD has asked me to check out all of the European countries detecting laws as they get lots of enquiries, but their info is now out of date. We will create a page on the European Council for Metal Detecting soon that will be of help. There is a Facebook link on the left side Menu on here, but this is also their website - https://ecmd.eu/
Good to see people asking about permission and not just "fingers crossed" :((
Liam :;@
ECMD

tigtog

Post by tigtog » Sat May 13, 2017 12:42 pm

North Korea Do not allow it
xp deus

garrett pointer (2nd one) now a makro pointer no falsing
roughneck shovel (4th one) now use a sniper spade
jeff digger

f8met

Post by f8met » Sat May 13, 2017 4:30 pm

tigtog wrote:
Sat May 13, 2017 12:42 pm
I will be able to confirm that in September but you are probably right.
Dave
Deus, 9" and 11" black coil
2019 22 Hammered
Hit my 200th hammered!

Dhiggi

Post by Dhiggi » Sat May 27, 2017 7:10 pm

f8met wrote:
Sat May 13, 2017 4:30 pm
tigtog wrote:
Sat May 13, 2017 12:42 pm
I will be able to confirm that in September but you are probably right.
I doubt you'd find much in the hotel car park and that's the only place you're allowed to walk around without your guides! It's exactly like a school trip, except for the fact that you're allowed beer!
Enjoy; it's a fascinating place to visit!

Resurgam

Post by Resurgam » Sat May 27, 2017 8:25 pm

You may come back glowing green and set off the airport geiger counter! ;))

f8met

Post by f8met » Sun May 28, 2017 1:56 am

Its the beer I am going for. Hoping to hit the beer festival.
Dave
Deus, 9" and 11" black coil
2019 22 Hammered
Hit my 200th hammered!

Resurgam

Post by Resurgam » Sun May 28, 2017 8:20 am

Stay safe and enjoy. ::g

Dhiggi

Post by Dhiggi » Sun May 28, 2017 11:07 am

I'm sure you'll enjoy it, the beer is surprisingly good

Steviebig20

Post by Steviebig20 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:02 pm

how do i get permit for Ibiza thanks

Machinist

Post by Machinist » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:21 pm

Steviebig20 wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:02 pm
how do i get permit for Ibiza thanks
Probably the same as many Spanish areas with a permit system, you have to live there and it will take about 3 months.

Ray
It's all the Headless Hunters fault !!

Member of South Yorkshire MDC

littleboot

Post by littleboot » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:16 pm

"Well, I had no problems, you need to be careful, be discreet, go at certain times" and so on. Its either legal or illegal, and its no good appearing in court and quoting a forum reply that said it was ok to detect! Ah but here is the rub. With regards to France particularly. Time and again I and other expats here find people on here quoting French Law and telling us that we are doing it wrong. And time and again we say that the people doing the quoting are thinking about Law in the way British Law works. (Kind of a microcosm of why the French get away with breaking and ignoring whole reams of EU Law while Britain ties itself in knots trying to comply)
The whole phrase 'its either legal or illegal' is a case in point.
Would that it were so simple.
Yes there are definitely illegal things like detecting scheduled monuments and protected sites. And yes there are definitely legal things like detecting certain beaches after and before a particular time (usually to avoid disturbing and harassing other beach users).
But in between there is a huge bulk of shades of grey and different government agencies, tiers of government, local Departements, etc etc all have slightly different interpretations and none of them talk much to each other. So, if any UK detectorist thinks they know how to interpret French Law in a straightforward British 'its either right or its wrong' kind of way then be so good as to tell the French detectorists because nobody here can manage it. The country is run entirely by bureaucrats in offices who live to make the rules for anything as opaque and unstraightforward as possible. Its how they keep their jobs and their pensions. (EU anyone?)
If anyone thinks this is just a Detecting thing then they should try starting and running a business here. You couldn't make it up.
So. To recap. As long as you act with common sense and don't detect anywhere where it is definitely illegal and/or where you are unwanted then...as long as you have the permission of the landowner and have had speaks with the mayor of your commune (a courtesy) then you are perfectly fine. This isn't a fudge because we choose to make it one. It is a fudge because that is how French Law is always meant to be.
Equinox 600, GMP, wellies.

Resurgam

Post by Resurgam » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:39 pm

Not so with the Greeks and the Turks though! Anyone fancy and extended holiday in a Greek or Turkish jail? :-SS

amphora

Post by amphora » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:37 pm

littleboot wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:16 pm
The whole phrase 'its either legal or illegal' is a case in point.
I totally agree. ::g
There are only a few countries which have actually the word "metal detector" in their laws.
My country only has it arranged for about two years now. And before the law was made by many "non detecting" laws about monuments and protected sites and on other places how the inspector thought about it.

Eventually i (in consultation with archaeologists B-) ) found a hole in all those laws by which it couldn't be forbidden to me. Even cities which had forbidden with the actual"metal-detecting" within their town laws had to give permission eventually because of that hole.
No one eventually knew how it was, resulting in "not forbidden" because of that hole ..... were almost everybody else said "forbidden" and didn't dare to detect there.

Now it's arranged very nice within law in my country. ::g And other countries should too....Because they all agreed with the Valletta Treaty which eventually get each country to result in the overall same situation (with slight differences).
But it is not that far yet. Most countries have their inspector-rules based on arbitrariness of all kinds of laws used in varying compositions.

So watch out!! We all know that in some countries you can go home with a small fine or after you get a teaching "don't do that again" .... were in other countries for the same violation you get your ass kicked that bad that you can't sit for a week and end up in jail doing time.
Good luck hunting.
Disclaimer: If i give advices i talk from my personal perspective, and it is not to copy 1 on 1. I rely on everyone’s common sense. Everyone has to think himself about implementing it for himself and to consider legal circumstances.

GeorgeMK

Post by GeorgeMK » Mon May 20, 2019 8:28 pm

Interesting thread on the warrelics forum about metal detecting in different countries.

It is an OLD thread, so some of the information may be out of date, but it names many of the different country’s legislations so it may be a useful starting point to researching about detecting permissions in particular countries.

Post #17 is interesting.

http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/search-te ... g-10209-2/

garrettoldboy

Post by garrettoldboy » Mon May 20, 2019 10:10 pm

hello, a few years back i watched about 20 THAI people detecting on the beach after the previous day was a THAI celebration day where they floated 1000s of little flower boats out with money on not only that many german and russian tourists like to sunbath and you would not believe what they found as my THAI friend asked one of the ladies what she found, lots of loose change and a few nice rings, some of the group had top quality detectors even those that were fully waterproof, i think it was called the shark something ?

Return to “Continental Europe and Ireland Permissions”