Spain

Please post all topics here related to the research and gaining permission to metal detect.
jflett117

Spain

Post by jflett117 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:04 pm

Im in Spain just now and have got permission to search las fuentas beach ,having read how hard it was to get permission ,all I did was find the local gaurdia civil building ,asked to see some one,and just asked if I could search on the beach ,the only condition was not to detect around tourists & not at all in the summer.so bingo thats my holiday made for me . ::g :D

Dave8472

Re: Spain

Post by Dave8472 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:32 am

Nice one, that's the best approach to ask and common sense always prevails in these circumstances.

Dave &*(

jflett117

Post by jflett117 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:56 pm

Ty Dave it never hurts to ask ,lol,just have to find more than rusty pesata s ,and euro coins ,lost rings ect are a bit thin on the beach tho ive only done 3 hours on it so far .

jflett117

Post by jflett117 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:36 pm

jflett117 wrote:Im in Spain just now and have got permission to search las fuentas beach ,having read how hard it was to get permission ,all I did was find the local gaurdia civil building ,asked to see some one,and just asked if I could search on the beach ,the only condition was not to detect around tourists & not at all in the summer.so bingo thats my holiday made for me . ::g :D
A few weeks on and got a bucketfull of old rusty pesetas and a odd mix of centimos,there seems to be an annual loss of sand here with winter storms. as at the road side the sand level is a good 3 feet above the beach ,so in my way of thinking every year the years droppings get washed out to the sea,tho where the sand gets cleaned there are mounds of scooped up sand that yield even more pesatas,fingers crossed ,ever the optimist lol.

allmetal

Post by allmetal » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:14 pm

Sounds good keep searching ::g

Good Luck ;)

jflett117

Post by jflett117 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:26 pm

after searching near the low tide mark and finding more things, while I was digging a find, a wave covered my xtl ,it now just buzzes (sound) is it beyond repair ?

jflett117

Post by jflett117 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:51 pm

had to replace my whites xlt with my minelab musketeer,and now after a months use I have got the tones off to a fine art ,,no screen on this one as you know ,but its finding old & new coinage perfectly ,as well tho I have got the finger trawl through fine sand perfected,no coin is safe lol,its just a shame ive only got 18 days left as there is still 3 miles of beach to sweep for me to find that elusive gold ring [:) l;.

fletty

Post by fletty » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:51 pm

back to the same beach in spain this time with a 3030 minelab ,and got my first gold ,diamonds ring happy days ,lol ps how do i post a pic for a it dummy?

Twit

Post by Twit » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:00 am

fletty wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:51 pm
back to the same beach in spain this time with a 3030 minelab ,and got my first gold ,diamonds ring happy days ,lol ps how do i post a pic for a it dummy?
I'll just remind that rules in Spain vary by region, in Andalucia for example you cannot do this without full permission ( and they check). Also I know another region ( cannot remember which) just introduced the need for permissions... Valencia I think

http://www.levante-emv.com/castello/201 ... 70020.html

mentions it, saw elsewhere, worth checking if you have been out of the country for a while.

When I first started detecting it was on the beach, sort of unknowingly without permission ( there were none at the time, but needed) , was never asked either. As soon as they introduced permissions I obtained one.... and was later asked for it several times.

:(

Twit

Post by Twit » Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:27 pm

Was just having a browse of Spanish laws...

The national law is OK , similar to many countries , no detecting purposefully for archaelogical items, handing in items found etc . That is workable.

Superimposed on that is regional law, which is fully applicable, and each region is different

This link is not worthwhile unless you are a Spanish speaking lawyer with a lot of spare time, but it does list the legislation by region

http://www.federacion-fedd.org/web/normas-y-leyes/

For the rest of us it is a search for info here and there, second hand info, etc.

My experience is for Andalucia, banned in every sense without permission, which is sometimes given for beaches, depending on province.

I was reading in Aragon it is banned.

In Valencia you need permission for beaches, there is a form via

http://www.federacion-fedd.org/web/

part way down page for members, or start with local authorities for directions.

At best, if you are stopped without license , you might get one warning and your details taken.

Spanish digger

Post by Spanish digger » Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:53 pm

Catalonia beaches 99% detectable,just avoid any near roman ruins,which las Fuentes beach you at there's two,if your near north of Valencia let's meet up,did you get the storm last Monday striped
3 ft off my beach ,can see the gold an diamonds now,mike

fletty

Post by fletty » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:23 pm

hi got permission from the gaurda civil so thats ok ,i usually do playa romano beach give me a call on 643641384,rgds john

fletty

Post by fletty » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:28 pm

Twit wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:00 am
fletty wrote:
I'll just remind that rules in Spain vary by region, in Andalucia for example you cannot do this without full permission ( and they check). Also I know another region ( cannot remember which) just introduced the need for permissions... Valencia I think

mentions it, saw elsewhere, worth checking if you have been out of the country for a while.

When I first started detecting it was on the beach, sort of unknowingly without permission ( there were none at the time, but needed) , was never asked either. As soon as they introduced permissions I obtained one.... and was later asked for it several times.

first thing i did was go to the local gaurdia civil and got permission ,only condition thing was not to dig near tourists and high summer

Twit

Post by Twit » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:26 pm

fletty wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:28 pm
Twit wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:00 am
fletty wrote:

first thing i did was go to the local gaurdia civil and got permission ,only condition thing was not to dig near tourists and high summer
Yes, but a year ago... it is a get out of trouble card, friends have had similar from a town hall elsewhere, and as what I have posted here is "informative" only, what the Guardia told you still stands until you are told otherwise ( although strictly the onus is always on the detector to know and comply) . I am just saying though, because someone else might read your post, head off to the beach, and get into trouble. If getting a license is easy ( I don't know) , it is worth getting one maybe though.

[Edit in - Boandtia has proper reply below, go with that ]

::g
Last edited by Twit on Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Twit

Post by Twit » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:59 pm

You know how confusing Spanish bureaucracy and ( strongly bi/tri partite) politics is.
You might have a right wing government, a left wing regional parliament, a right wing province, a left wing municipality, a confused local policeman ( Policia Local.... who might just throw the book at you) working for a the remnant right wing chief of a now left wing local bureaucracy. Every layer has its peculiarities.

[Edit in - I choose the Guardia when I cannot find better direction, they are generally the strictest wrt, and work at a wide level. Now you have proper advice from Boandtia below, who has direct experience for Valencia, go with that ]

Some don't like the Guardia, but they are disciplined and coherent, if you cooperate with them, show respect and follow their direction, in my experience you are treated fairly, much better than some of the local authorities, who can be soft and wishy washy and then occasionally just purposefully unkind in a behind your back sort of way.

It all depends I suppose, but the Guardia are the best reference to my view. [ Edit in - as above edit]

::g
Last edited by Twit on Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Grott

Post by Grott » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:12 pm

He who dares, nice one mate you asked they said yes and you are an happy bunny if they had said no you would just have accepted it and could say yourself at least I tried and I must say you have shown many on here the way to go.

Twit

Post by Twit » Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:14 am

Allectus wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:22 pm
Grott wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:12 pm
He who dares, nice one mate you asked they said yes and you are an happy bunny if they had said no you would just have accepted it and could say yourself at least I tried and I must say you have shown many on here the way to go.
A ;)
Aaaaah, but Spain does not work like the UK quite. There to some you are a guiri, not welcome or for ridicule even , and that is more so nowadays given the social divide that has opened up. Having lived there for the best part of the last thirty years, and always having been appreciated for my contribution to foreigners ( mostly English), you might ( not) want to know where you don't fit in, and why. I suppose until a few experience first hand ( and bother to communicate) some bad experience, for having overstretched local hospitality, tolerance, or for simply being naive ... well it has been a bumper tourist year also.

The Guardia Civil (Benemeritos) don't mess around, honour is their motto , and they are one of the few institutions highly rated in Spanish society.

I was much better off with a licence ( I would have been stopped detecting eventually , maybe fined, maybe denied a future licence, had to have sat waiting a month for a licence ) , though I had to have getting a licence suggested to me by a friend as I was quite happy as was.

His choice, he has an excuse and won't have travelled there to find he cannot detect, or as a local told me when he was setting up to detect on the beach outside of hours (we were leaving) " if we see the police we just run ".

When they introduce a licence scheme to regulate, it is because they plan on regulating , and I think they will, that means stopping people .

His choice, but why not apply - they are usually for free.

Happy sprinting ::g

Twit

Post by Twit » Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:34 am

Oh, and welcome to Spanish bureaucracy

http://www.theolivepress.es/spain-news/ ... na-plants/

....not quite as bad as the British ( or English by God) as per my own experience.

A ;)

[Edit in - post to which I was replying was removed ]
Last edited by Twit on Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Twit

Post by Twit » Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:06 pm

Fletty ... this is not to rub it in, is aimed at people without experience who might think they can just go detecting in Valencia, so they know how the law actually is written. It does not make anyone any the more "guilty" to have read this and still choose to detect, it is not even to deter people, it is so they are aware of how Spanish authorities MIGHT handle them if they choose to :

From http://www.lasprovincias.es/comunitat/2 ... 03438.html

"Ya sea por afán coleccionista, de 'cazatesoros' o para ganar dinero en rastros, piénselo dos veces antes de salir al campo con el detector de metales. El uso de este dispositivo sin la autorización de la Conselleria de Cultura, ya sea en playas o en el monte, conlleva sanciones de hasta 60.000 euros. Además, podría acabar sin el aparato, sin sus monedas romanas o munición de la Guerra Civil y arrrestado por expolio.

Para obtener permiso autonómico, el usuario del detector debe identificarse e informar al departamento de Arqueología. Y si lo emplea en un espacio diferente al que ha declarado, la sanción también caerá sobre él de manera irrevocable. La condena penal por expolio conlleva hasta tres años de cárcel y multa. Y en el caso de la venta de piezas saqueadas, ya sea ambulante, entre colegas o por internet, la multa asciende hasta 150.000 euros."

Which reads :

Using metal detector on land or BEACH without permission - up to 60 000 eu fine, confiscation of detector, arrest for plunder , up to three years jail. If you have sold anything anywhere up to 150 000 eu in fine.

I was reading elsewhere there are over 8000 listed sites there kept secret to avoid plunder. The permission they give avoids those sites without showing them. You might just be detecting on a listed site :(

Given that it seems very worthwhile getting a permission, to me.

I will search up how to get a permission on Spanish forums, and add it in here.

The law is

Artículo 60 bis. Uso de detectores de metales y otros instrumentos de análoga naturaleza.

1. El uso de detectores de metales u otras herramientas o técnicas análogas que permitan localizar restos de naturaleza arqueológica o paleontológica, aun sin ser ésta su finalidad, deberá ser autorizado por la conselleria competente en materia de cultura.

2. Reglamentariamente se determinarán las condiciones de la autorización, que en todo caso requerirá la autorización del propietario del terreno, tendrá carácter personal e indicará su ámbito territorial y temporal. Asimismo se podrán determinar usos y ámbitos exentos de la necesidad de autorización administrativa.

3. Los objetos y restos materiales hallados con la utilización de estos dispositivos que posean los valores que son propios del patrimonio arqueológico o paleontológico quedan sujetos a lo dispuesto en el artículo 64, y en ningún supuesto se entenderán hallados por azar.

Which says for any use permission must be had. That was introduced 2016, local clubs follow that rule. The Guardia told you otherwise, or they did not understand you were asking for permission etc., well that is up to you. Maybe they still ignore beaches in practice as well. There is 0 info on the web except closed forums which I cannot access ( common in Spain, small closed community) . If you want to get a licence you have to go to the local Culture department of the Valencian regional authority. If my experience in Andalucia is to go by, it will be free , and all that is needed is ID and an address, the permission gets sent to you in one month, lasts for a year, and applies to the beaches you have asked for. Takes a morning if like that, you can always say you are applying for it to be extrasure if stopped in that time. They might just say no , and that is then :( .

Your choice, and same to anyone who reads this.

[Edit in - Boandtia has given a full experienced reply below, go with that ]

One thing almost all locals do not like is Brits/foreigners chasing after "their booty" illegally, especially if bragged about... it insults them. :-L

[Edited out - comment to removed post]
Last edited by Twit on Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Boandtia

Post by Boandtia » Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:31 pm

Just to add to the post by Twit :- The Permission in Valencia is for beaches, lasts for six months, and can take quite a bit longer than a month to receive, it also comes with quite a long list of beaches where detecting is strictly forbidden under all circumstances. Anyone caught detecting without a permit by the Guardia Civil, will at best have their details recorded, including serial numbers of their detector, at worst have their equipment confiscated and fined. So far I have not heard of anyone being fined, but early days yet. Just getting the agreement of the Guardia Civil, whether in writing or word of mouth will not do!!! YOU NEED A Permit to detect beaches in Valencia. Experience of 18 years living here.
HH
Minelab Excalibur 11
Garrett AT Pro International
Garrett Sea Hunter MK 2
Garrett Propointer.
Makro Waterproof Pointer.
Flask of coffee / brandy
Plenty of fags
A lot of patience

Return to “Permissions”