First permission

Please post all topics here related to the research and gaining permission to metal detect.
PCMan

First permission

Post by PCMan » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:17 pm

Got a text today from a Farmer who said he was glad to offer me seven acres of pasture land to detect on ::g .It was a lead I had been patient with, and didn't push. He doesn't hold out much hope of me finding anything, but I think it would be a good start.I will take a couple of bottles of wine as a thank you, it borders several other farms,and I would like to give a good impression?.

Oxgirl36

Re: First permission

Post by Oxgirl36 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:37 pm

Brilliant!! I find the permissions you expect least from can really surprise you. My best permission was the one I held out least hope for!

Good luck and keep us posted on what you find :D
XP Deus

Bargeman

Post by Bargeman » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:38 pm

Well done, patience as they say is a virtue, and often forgotten in these times. Dig every signal, and keep all the iron to show the farmer what you have cleared from his field. ::g
XP Goldmaxx Power + 9" coil & WS2 + WS3 wireless phones
NEL Sharpshooter
NEL Tornado
and Mud.

Rutus Alter 71

PCMan

Post by PCMan » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:46 pm

Any advice is greatly appreciated,I have an old XLT, and a fairly new M6, which would you choose?.
I have very little experience, and would like to concentrate more on the dig than the Detector

airgunner35

Post by airgunner35 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:42 pm

Well done with your first permission i hope the start of many more for you! ::g

Fishwick

Post by Fishwick » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:41 pm

That's great news PCMan and hope to see some interesting finds on the forum. ;)

littleboot

Post by littleboot » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:00 pm

Well done you!
You don't know what is on those fields until you search them. I have found that most farmers. however well-meaning, haven't much of a clue about the long term history of their fields. Maps and deeds only go back a few hundred years at the very most.

Advice on searching goes like this....whatever detector you decide to use make sure you are sure of how to set it up and the basics of its use before you get in the fields. Re-read the manual and test some signals at home before you set out.
If in doubt about a signal....dig it anyway. A lot of good stuff is found as a result of digging iffy signals.
Don't rush. Be organised. Take sections slowly and methodically.
You have a bit of a challenge thrown down here by the farmer....albeit in the nicest possible way. Rise to it. It will be great to be able to show him some interesting things as a result of your efforts. New permissions will flow from this one....so enjoy!
GMP, Tesoro Invincible, wellies.

WVAM

Post by WVAM » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:59 pm

Have you made arrangements to inform the owner when you will be on the land. Most don't want to be bothered but they do want to know who's there - bit of a dilemma. They certainly don't want to be bothered by neighbours saying "do you know there's someone digging holes in your land" and then they have to down tools and check it out.
For some of my permissions and also when we are shooting a text going in and a text coming out is all that's needed. Invariably they don't get answered but they know we are there. Also worth making sure they know what you drive.
Just ask how they would prefer it all to be handled then you know you are on the right foot and he'll know you are being responsible and thinking of him.

Good luck.

PCMan

Post by PCMan » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:41 pm

Thanks for all the sound advice, I have spoken to the farmer and arranged to meet Saturday.
I intend to email him any future dates, giving him plenty of notice, and limiting digs to just a couple of hours, so as not to outstay my welcome. As for the M6, it seems simpler to use, I will go through the manual again just to aquaint myself.Regarding identification ,what would you recommend ,is it a matter of just googling to start with?.

WVAM

Post by WVAM » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:17 pm

PCMan, sounds like you are going about this in the right way but can I suggest that emailing dates might turn out to be a bit restrictive on your searching. It's odds on that the days you pick will be pouring with rain or you have an urgent personal commitment. Then you have to get in touch to say why you aren't there and he does need to worry about that other person on his land. Try and keep the arrangement simple and flexible. I don't know how others work it but years of being on farms at all times of the day or night I've found the text arrangement to work well for me and the owners, or a phone call at sensible times if the owner prefers. In other places they don't bother as they know I always have my phone and they can check if it's me on their land (ah ha, I hear you say. Phone and detector=problem. I've found that in the back pocket and switch off email/roaming and I don't get any problems.)
That way you offer a suggestion that gives you maximum freedom and a chance to get out on those nice summer evenings for an hour or two. The owner will soon let you know what works for them.
Good luck - it will all be fine. ::g

PCMan

Post by PCMan » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:54 pm

I never even thought about my phone :-L , thanks for that. I see what you mean about fixing dates,
best to keep it flexible .

Bargeman

Post by Bargeman » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:58 pm

One of my farmers is not bothered at all about being informed. The other just wants a text to say I am on the field, nothing more. he never replies but he knows I am there.
XP Goldmaxx Power + 9" coil & WS2 + WS3 wireless phones
NEL Sharpshooter
NEL Tornado
and Mud.

Rutus Alter 71

Return to “Metal Detecting Permission”