Permissions that have had sand extraction?

Please post all topics here related to the research and gaining permission to metal detect.
Steevo45

Permissions that have had sand extraction?

Post by Steevo45 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:04 pm

Was talking to my dad recently about the farm land around his house and he was telling me that lots of the land had the sand removed ( huge glass production place near to it took the sand away) apparently what happened was to top soil was stripped away, then the sand removed and the soil put back. Has any one had this type of thing happen on there permissions?

Cheers
Steve

brianc

Re: Permissions that have had sand extraction?

Post by brianc » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:19 pm

Sounds interesting although I have no direct experience of mining work on my permission.

Have you researched the area for previous land purpose, footpaths and any other historical use of the land?

If you can obtain permission to do a search then I would go for it.
Enjoying the walk with my Bounty Hunter Tracker IV.

Steevo45

Post by Steevo45 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:46 pm

I have permission for a lot of it, from what I can work out all the removed soil was put back once the sand from under it had gone, so any finds in the soil will still be there but could be a lot closer (or further) from the surface than they should be. It is believed they destroyed a lot of archeology when it was done and has the knock on effect of meaning the land does not drain well at all.

littleboot

Post by littleboot » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:23 pm

Only one way to find out.....give it a good go!
Lots of finds come from soil or rubble that has been moved or brought in. You say this is the same topsoil that was removed. I suppose that means it is equal to a really really deep plough! :))
Can't see much wrong with that! Everything will be jumbled up of course.....but then again a lot of what we detect has been jumbled up already with centuries of arable farming.

I have a 'mound' of earth in our garden....it has long since been covered in turf but I worked out it was the spoil heap from when the mains water was eventually put on in the late 50's. I recently re-landscaped it by cutting into it an lining the cut with drystone semicircular wall ...it is now a rockery and a place for the jacuzzi thing. Anyway...I shifted 40 barrows of earth. Its amazing how much more space soil takes up when it is disturbed. Needless to say I detected every barrow-load before I got rid of it. :) Didn't find anything as it turned out....except pottery from every era including Roman Samian ware.
Anyway.....a very interesting permission for you to explore. All sorts of possibilities which equals great fun!
GMP, Tesoro Invincible, wellies.

Little Rob

Post by Little Rob » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:48 am

I am in the same situation as Steve, I have got verbal permission (No agreements signed yet) to detect on a large farm but most of the land has had sand and gravel extracted from under it.I'm hoping to have a sight visit soon to see if any of the land is still undisturbed. Its only about 2 miles from a very old settlement (mentioned in doomsday book) on the banks of a river hence all the sand and gravel extraction.Hopefully any items found wont be damaged,but I'm sure any chance of a "hoard" will be greatly diminished in any soil that has once been scrapped off then reinstated.Gotta wait until 1st Feb though before I can detect though, as not allowed on until shooting season has finished :-L

Koala

Post by Koala » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:07 pm

I have detected a unpromising old gravel pit that been filled in.

Roman brooch and coins came out.

You can never tell what's there until you swing over it.

littleboot

Post by littleboot » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:30 pm

I'm sure any chance of a "hoard" will be greatly diminished in any soil that has once been scrapped off then reinstated.
I don't tend to agree with that assumption. There is a theory that a very famous hoard was the result of earth being redeposited. I also think two of my best finds are a result of soil etc being moved. \(One when a pond was dredged and another when hardcore was put on a lane.
GMP, Tesoro Invincible, wellies.

Return to “Permissions”